- Volume 10 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Design aspects for minimizing the rotational behavior of setbacks buildings
- Georgoussis, George K. (Department of Civil Engineering, School of Pedagogical and Technological Education (ASPETE))
- Received : 2015.05.30
- Accepted : 2016.01.13
- Published : 2016.05.25
An approximate analysis is presented for multi-story setback buildings subjected to ground motions. Setback buildings with mass and stiffness discontinuities are common in modern architecture and quite often they are asymmetric in plan. The proposed analysis provides basic dynamic data (frequencies and peak values of base resultant forces) and furthermore an overview of the building response during a ground excitation. The method is based on the concept of the equivalent single story system, which has been introduced by the author in earlier papers for assessing the response of uniform in height buildings. As basic quantities of the dynamic response of elastic setback buildings can be derived by analyzing simple systems, a structural layout of minimum elastic rotational response can be easily constructed. The behavior of such structural configurations, which is basically translational into the elastic phase, is also examined into the post elastic phase when the strength assignment of the various bents is based on a planar static analysis under a set of lateral forces simulating an equivalent 'seismic loading'. It is demonstrated that the almost concurrent yielding of all resisting elements preserves the translational response, attained at the end of the elastic phase, to the post elastic one.
setback buildings;modal analysis;eccentric structures;modal centre of rigidity;inelastic analysis
- Anagnostopoulos, S.A., Kyrkos, M.T. and Stathopoulos, K.G. (2013), "Earthquake induced torsion in buildings: Critical review and state of the art", The 2013 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM13), Jeju, Korea.
- Anagnostopoulos, S.A., Kyrkos, M.T. and Stathopoulos, K.G. (2015a), "Earthquake induced torsion in buildings: Critical review and state of the art", Earthq. Struct., 8(2), 305-377. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.2.305
- Anagnostopoulos, S.A., Kyrkos, M.T., Papalymperi, A. and Plevri, E. (2015b), "Should accidental eccentricity be eliminated from Eurocode 8?", Earthq. Struct., 8(2), 463-484. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.2.463
- Athanassiadou, C.J. (2008), "Seismic performance of R/C plane frames irregular in elevation", Eng. Struct., 30(5), 1250-1261. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.07.015
- Aziminejad, A. and Moghadam, A.S. (2009), "Performance of asymmetric multistory buildings with different strength distributions", J. Appl. Sci., 9(6), 1082-1089. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2009.1082.1089
- Aziminejad, A., Moghadam, A.S. and Tso, W.K. (2008), "A new methodology for designing multi-story asymmetric buildings", The 14th World Conference Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Bosco, M., Ferrara, G.A.F., Ghersi, A., Marino, E.M. and Rossi, P.P. (2015), "Seismic assessment of existing r.c. framed structures with in-plan irregularity by nonlinear static methods", Earthq. Struct., 8(2), 401-422. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.2.401
- Chandler, A.M., Duan, X.N. and Rutenberg, A. (1996), "Seismic torsional response: Assumptions, Controversies and Research Progress", Eur. Earthq. Eng., 10, 37-51.
- Coull, A. and Puri, R.D. (1968), "Analysis of pierced shear walls", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 94(1), 71-82.
- Das, S. and Nau, J.M. (2003), "Seismic design aspects of vertically irregular reinforced concrete buildings", Earthq. Spectra, 19(3), 455-477. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1595650
- De Stefano, M., Tanganelli, M. and Viti, S. (2015), "Seismic performance sensitivity to concrete strength variability: a case-study", Earthq. Struct., 9(2), 321-337. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.2.321
- De Stefano, M. and Pintucchi, B. (2008), "A review of research on seismic behaviour of irregular building structures since 2002", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 6(2), 285-308. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-007-9052-3
- Georgoussis, G., Tsompanos, A., Makarios, T. and Papalou, A. (2013a), "Optimum structural configuration of irregular buildings. 1: Elastic Systems", The 2013 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM13), Jeju, Korea.
- Georgoussis, G., Tsompanos, A., Makarios, T. and Papalou, A. (2013b), "Optimum structural configuration of irregular buildings. 2: Inelastic Systems", The 2013 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM13), Jeju, Korea.
- Georgoussis, G. (2012), "Seismic analysis of non-proportionate eccentric buildings", Adv. Mater. Res., 450-451, 1482-1488.
- Georgoussis, G. (2014), "Modified seismic analysis of multistory asymmetric elastic buildings and suggestions for minimizing the rotational response", Earthq. Struct., 7(1), 39-52. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.1.039
- Georgoussis, G. (2015), "Minimizing the torsional response of inelastic multistory buildings with simple eccentricity", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 42(11), 966-969. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2015-0091
- Georgoussis, G.K. (2009), "An alternative approach for assessing eccentricities in asymmetric multistory structures 1: Elastic systems", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 18(2), 181-202. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.401
- Georgoussis, G.K. (2010), "Modal rigidity center: Its use for assessing elastic torsion in asymmetric buildings", Earthq. Struct., 1(2), 163-175. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.2.163
- Georgoussis, G.K. (2011a), "Simplified dynamic analysis of eccentric buildings with a setback. 1: the effect of mass irregularity", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 20(8), 911-927. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.567
- Georgoussis, G.K. (2011b), "Simplified dynamic analysis of eccentric buildings with a setback. 2: the effect of stiffness irregularity", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 20(8), 801-815. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.556
- Ghersi, A. and Rossi, P.P. (2001), "Influence of bi-directional ground motions on the inelastic response of one-story in-plan irregular systems", Eng. Struct., 23(6), 579-591. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00088-2
- Kan, C.L. and Chopra, A.K. (1981), "Torsional coupling and earthquake response of simple elastic and inelastic systems", J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 107(8), 1569-1588.
- Karavasilis, T.L., Baseos, N. and Beskos, D.E. (2008), "Seismic response of plane steel MRF with setbacks: Estimation of inelastic deformation demands", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 64(6), 644-654. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2007.12.002
- Lucchini, A., Monti, D. and Kunnath, S. (2009), "Seismic behavior of single-story asymmetric-plan buildings under uniaxial excitation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 38(9), 1053-1070. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.881
- Meireles, H., Bento, R., Cattari, S. and Lagomarsino, S. (2014), "Seismic assessment and retrofitting of Pombalino buildings by pushover analyses", Earthq. Struct., 7(1), 57-82. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.1.057
- Myslimaj, B. and Tso, W.K. (2002), "A strength distribution criterion for minimizing torsional response of asymmetric wall-type systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(1), 99-120. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.100
- Myslimaj, B. and Tso, W.K. (2004), "Desirable strength distribution for asymmetric structures with strength-stiffness dependent elements", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(2), 231-248.
- Newmark, N.M. and Rosenblueth, E. (1972), Fundamentals of Earthquake Engineering, Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Nezhad, M.E. and Mehdi Poursha, M. (2015), "Seismic evaluation of vertically irregular building frames with stiffness, strength, combined-stiffness-and-strength and mass irregularities", Earthq. Struct., 9(2), 353-373. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.2.353
- Paulay, T. (1998), "A mechanism-based design strategy for the torsional seismic response of ductile buildings", Eur. Earthq. Eng., 12, 33-48.
- Paulay, T. (2001), "Some design principles relevant to torsional phenomena in ductile buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 5(3), 271-308.
- Roy, R. and Mahato, S. (2013), "Equivalent lateral force method for buildings with setback: adequacy in elastic range", Earthq. Struct., 6(4), 685-710.
- Rutenberg, A. (1998), "Behaviour of irregular and complex structures-State of the Art report: seismic nonlinear response of code-designed asymmetric structures", EAEE Task Group (TG)8, 11th European Conference Earthquake Engineering, Balkema, Rotterdam.
- Sarkar, P., Prasad, A.M. and Menon, D. (2010), "Vertical geometric irregularity in stepped building frames", Eng. Struct., 32(8), 2176-2182.
- Shakib, H. and Atefatdoost, G.R. (2014), "Minimizing the torsional response of asymmetric wall-type systems considering soil-structure interaction", Int. J. Civ. Eng., 12(1), 14-24.
- Stathi, C.G., Bakas, N.P., Lagaros, N.D. and Papadrakakis, M. (2015), "Ratio of Torsion (ROT): An index for assessing the global induced torsion in plan irregular buildings", Earthq. Struct., 9(2), 145-171. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.1.145
- Wong, C.M. and Tso, W.K. (1994), "Seismic loading for buildings with setbacks", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 21(5), 863-871. https://doi.org/10.1139/l94-092
- Generalized corrective eccentricities for nonlinear static analysis of buildings with framed or braced structure vol.15, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-017-0159-x
- Design Principles for Minimum Torsional Response of Wall-Frame Concrete Structures 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2017.1360222