- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Cutting Performance of a Developed Small-angle Spindle Tool
소형 앵글 스핀들 공구의 절삭성능에 관한 연구
- Kim, Jin Su (Computer Aided Mechanics Department, Changwon Campus Korea Polytechnic) ;
- Kim, Yohng Jo (School of Mechanical Engineering, Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2016.03.02
- Accepted : 2016.03.27
- Published : 2016.04.30
The cutting performance of a developed small-angle spindle tool was investigated with Al6061 using a TiAlN coated high-speed steel end mill. Up-cut and down-cut processes in a milling machine were carried out at the range of 1000-4000 rpm for spindle speed and 50-300 mm/min for feed rate. As a result, the highest cutting force in the Fx direction was obtained from the up-cut process when the spindle speed was 1000 rpm and the feed rate was 100 mm/min. In the Fy direction, the highest cutting force appeared in the up-cut process at a feed rate of 250 mm/min at the same spindle speed. Conversely, the lowest cutting force came out in the up-cut process at a spindle speed of 4000 rpm and a feed rate of 50 mm/min. As for surface finish, the finest surface roughness was obtained as Ra 0.7642 um at a spindle speed of 4000 rpm and a feed rate of 50 mm/min. Consequently, given the cutting performance of the developed small-angle spindle tool, we conclude that its use in industrial practice is feasible.
Angle Spindle;Cutting Performance;Surface Roughness;Cutting Force;Al6061
- Yan, D., EI-wardany, T. I. and Elbestawi, M. A., "A Multi-sensor Strategy for Tool Failure Detection in Milling", International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 383-398, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0890-6955(94)E0021-A
- Lee, J. K., Lyu, J. H., Kim, M. K. and Kook, J. H., "A Study on the Evaluation of End Mills for High Speed Machining", Proceedings of the Korean Society of Precision Engineering Autumn Conference, pp. 833-837, 2000.
- Bae, H. J. and Park, H. S., "Analysis of Working Factors for Improvement of Surface Roughness on High Speed End-Milling" Journal of the Korean Society of Precision Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 52-59, 2004.
- Kim, G. H., Yang, S. C. and Park, Y. C., "A Study on the Characteristics on Ultra Precision Machining of Al6061-T651", Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, Vol. 4 No. 1, pp.43-48, 2005.
- Kim, K. R., Ko, H. J., Cho, Y. T. and Jung, Y. G., "Development of Angle Spindle for Shape Machining of Hydrostatic Bearing", Proceeding of the Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers Spring Conference, pp. 71, 2013.
- Park, H. K., Lee, S. M., Lee, C. S., Chae, S. S., Lee, W. S., Choi, Y. S., Jo, H. T., Baek, Y. J. and Lee, J. C., "A Study on the Characteristics of High-Speed Small-Diameter Wipe Milling for Al 6061", Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 24-28, 2012.