- Volume 32 Issue 2
Purpose: This study investigated the quality characteristics of Jeungpyun prepared with brown rice and sea tangle powder. Methods: The pH, volume, and spreadability of the dough and moisture content, color, texture and sensory evaluation of the Jeungpyun were performed. Results: The results showed that the pH of the dough decreased in all sample groups with the lapse of fermentation time, and ultimately revealed a pH ranging from 4.55-4.65. The spreadability of the dough significantly decreased as the substitute amount of the brown rice flour increased; the sample group with 1% sea tangle powder showed a significantly larger spreadability than the sample group with 2% sea tangle powder (p<0.05). The moisture content in the Jeungpyun showed a significantly lower result as the substitute amount of brown rice flour increased (p<0.05). Lightness (L) was reduced as the substitute amount of brown rice flour increased, and redness (a) and yellowness (b) also appeared to increase. As a result of measuring the texture, the 50% sample group with a high substitute rate of brown rice flour was observed to have high characteristics of hardness, gumminess and chewiness, and was low in cohesiveness. The result of the acceptance test showed that the sample group that substituted 25% brown rice flour and added 1% sea tangle powder was evaluated to have a significantly higher acceptance than the sample group that added 2% sea tangle powder in terms of color, texture and overall acceptance. Conclusion: The result of the acceptance test showed that the sample group that substituted 25% of brown rice flour and added 1% of sea tangle powder showed higher tendency in all acceptance attributes than the sample group that did not substitute the brown rice flour to show the possibility of developing the Jeungpyun with brown rice.
Jeungpyun;brown rice;sea tangle;quality characteristics
- Baek CH, Choi JH, Choi HS, Jeong ST, Kim JH, Jeong YJ, Yeo SH. 2013. Quality characteristics of brown rice Makgeolli produced under differing conditions. Korean J Microbiol Biotechnol 41(2):168-175. https://doi.org/10.4014/kjmb.1210.10005
- Cheng L, Kim SJ, Kil JH, Park KY. 2014. Quality and antioxidant activity of wet noodles supplemented with brown rice and sorghum powders. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 43(4):530-536. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.4.530
- Cho MS, Hong JS. 2006. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk by the addition of sea tangle. Korean J Food Cook Sci 22(1):37-44.
- Choi HJ, Gwak KJ, Choi DB, Park JY, Cheong HS. 2015. Antimicrobial efficacy of fermented dark vinegar from unpolished rice. Microbiol Biotechnol Lett 43(2):97-104. https://doi.org/10.4014/mbl.1504.04005
- Jeong SY, Park MJ, Lee SY. 2011. Quality characteristics of brown rice Jeungpyun. Korean J Food Culture 26(1):86-93.
- Jung HW, Chung HJ. 2013. Quality characteristics and amino acid content of cookies with GABA-enhanced brown rice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42(11):1813-1820. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.11.1813
- Jung JY, Choi MH, Hwang JH, Chung HJ. 2004. Quality characteristics of Jeung-pyun prepared with paprika juice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33(5):869-874. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.5.869
- Kang BS, Kim DH, Whang HJ, Moon SW. 2006. The retrogradation of steamed Korean rice cake (Jeungpyun) with addition of gums. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38(6):838-842.
- Kang HJ, Park JD, Lee HY, Kum JS. 2013. Effect of grapefruit seed extracts and acid regulation agents on the qualities of Topokkidduk. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42(6):948-956. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.6.948
- Kang SH, Lee KS, Yoon HH. 2006. Quality Characteristics of Jeungpyun with added rosemary powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 22(2):158-163.
- Kim EM. 2005. Quality characteristics of Jeung-pyun according to the level of red ginseng powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 21(2):209-216.
- Kim HY, Choi SJ, Ra HN, Lee JE. 2014. Antioxidative activities and quality characteristics of gruel as a home meal replacement with Angelica keiskei powder pre-treated by various drying methods. Korean J Food Culture 29(1):91-100. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2014.29.1.091
- Kim HY, Kim MR, Koh BK. 2004. Food quality evaluation. Hyoil Press, Seoul, Korea. pp 190-191.
- Kim HY, Koh BK. 2012. Food preparation science. 2nd ed. Hyoil Press, Seoul, Korea. pp 183-184.
- Ko MS, Kim SA. 2007. Sensory and physicochemical characteristics of Jeungpyun with Pleurotus eryngii powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39(2):194-199.
- Koh EM, Mun SH, Surh JH. 2014. Effect of roasting on particle size, water-holding capacity, and viscosity of cereal-based Sunsik. Korean J Food Cook Sci 30(5):526-530. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.5.526
- Kwon EA, Chang MJ, Kim SH. 2003. Quality characteristics of bread containing Laminaria powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32(3):406-412. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.3.406
- Lee GS, Park GS. 2011. Quality characteristics of Jeungpyun prepared with different ratios of Polygonum multiflorum Thunb Powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 27(4):35-46. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2011.27.4.035
- Lee HE, Lee AY, Park JY, Woo KJ, Hahn YS. 2004. Effect of rice protein on the network structure of Jeung-pyun. Korean J Food Cook Sci 20(4):396-402.
- Lee SM. 2010. Physiological activity of jujube and quality characteristics of jujube-added brown rice Yakpyun. Doctorate dissertation. Sejong University, Seoul, Korea. pp 123-124.
- Lee YW, Kim MH, Kim KS, Lee KA. 2009. A study on the quality properties of Jeungpyun added with soybean yogurt. Korean J Food Cook Sci 25(3):387-394.
- Lim EJ. 2012. Quality characteristics of sponge cake added with Laminaria japonia powder. Korean J Food Nutr 25(4):922-929. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.4.922
- Moon HJ, Chang HG, Mok CK. 1999. Selection of lactic starter for the improvement of Jeungpyun manufacturing process. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31(5):1241-1246.
- Na HN, Yoon S, Park HW, Oh HS. 1997. Effect of soy milk and sugar addition to Jeungpyun on physicochemical property of Jeungpyun batters and textural property of Jeungpyun. Korean J Soc Food Sci 13(4):484-491.
- Oh HK, Lim HS. 2011. Quality characteristics of the hamburger patties with sea tangle (Laminaria japonica) powder and/or cooked rice. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 31(4):570-579. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.4.570
- Park GS, Park EJ. 2004. Quality characteristics of Jeungpyun added Paecilomyces japonica powder according to fermentation time. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33(10):1703-1708. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.10.1703
- Park ID. 2015. Quality characteristics of dumpling shell with sea tangle powder. Korean J Food Preserv 22(2):190-196. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.2.190
- Park JO, Jang HW. 2009. Effects of Sasa coreana Nakai on the lipid compositions of serum in high cholesterol diet rats. J Life Sci 19(8):1145-1151. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.8.1145
- Park MJ. 2007. Quality characteristics of Jeungpyun with brown rice and barley flour. Korean J Food Cook Sci 23(5):720-730.
- Park MY. 2003. Dietary fiber. Available from: http://society.kisti.re.kr/journal/kj_view.jsp?kj=GGGRB4&soc=kahp&ndsl=y. Accessed March 10, 2016 [Medicheck Health News 27(6):20-21].
- Pyun JW, Hyun YH, Nam HW. 2012. Quality characteristics of Jeolpyun with Hizikia fusiforme powder. Korea J Food Nutr 25(1):196-204. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.1.196
- Rural Development Administration. 2011. 8th revision food composition table. Kwangmoondang, Seoul, Korea. pp 24-26.
- Yoo CH, Shim YH. 2006. Quality characteristics of Jeung-pyun with tapioca flour. Korean J Food Cook Sci 22(3):396-401.
- Zhang YY, Kim JH, Song KY, O HB, Kim YS. 2016. Quality characteristics and antioxidant activities of Sulgidduck with asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.) powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 26(1):63-72. https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2016.2.26.1.63
- Effect of Adding Barley Flour and Hizikia fusiformis Powder on Physicochemical and Sensory Characteristics of Jeungpyun vol.26, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2016.8.26.4.370
- Quality Characteristics of Korean Steamed Rice Bread(Jeungpyun) Added with Grains vol.29, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2018.29.1.33