- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Current status of dental intraoral imaging devices and radiographic safety management
치과 구내촬영 장비 현황과 방사선 안전 관리 실태 연구
- Received : 2015.12.30
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the current status and radiographic safety management in Korea. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 200 dental hygienists in Jeonbuk province from September 1, 2014 and October 31, 2014. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects, radiation knowledge, radiation safety management, and radiation exposure anxiety. Data were analyzed using SPSS 18.0 program. Results: Duration of clinical experience(r=0.142) and number of daily radiation shot(r=0.145) showed a positive correlation to radiation safety management, and a nrgative correlation to use of intraoral films and digital devices(r=-0.587). A logistic regression analysis was performed in order to evaluate the influence on radiography knowledge. The results showed that the factors had significant influences on the age group over 41 years old(OR 7.25; 95% CI 1.30-40.43) and those who took a position above team leader(OR 0.23; 95% CI 0.59-0.90). Conclusions: It is very important to have the safety management toward dental intraoral imaging and radiograpgic shot in the dental hygienists. Continuous efforts should be emphasized on radiographic safety management and behavior.
dental hygienist;intra oral imaging device;radiographic safety management;radiographic exposure
- Choi HS. A case study on regulatory practices of advanced countries for safety control of radioactive materials. Gwancheon: Ministry of Science ICT and Future Planning; 1999: 22-3.
- Min TS. A study on development of assessment indicators for radiation safety culture. Gwancheon: Ministry of Science ICT and Future Planning; 2004; 1-7.
- Oh OD. Development of internal dose asessment standard for hospital worker. Seoul: Ministry of Food Drug Safety; 2003: 617-21.
- Park CI. Study on stablishment of Radiation safety System in Medicine. Gwancheon: Ministry of Science ICT and Future Planning; 2003: 7-25.
- Lim CH, Kim SC, Jung HR, Hong DH, You IG, Jeong CS. The study for radio protection according to a possible danger of exposure during dental x-ray examination. J Korean Soc Radiol 2011; 5(5): 237-44. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2011.5.5.237
- Vandre RH, Webbe RL. Future trends in dental radiology. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1995; 80(4): 471-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1079-2104(05)80373-7
- Vassileva J. A phantom for dose-image quality optimization in chest radiography. Brit. J Radiol 2002; 75(898): 837-42. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.75.898.750837
- Lee BD. Intraoral radiography and radiation risk when discussion about defending. J Korean Dent 2005; 43(11): 737-42.
- Kang EJ, Yoo BG. The study on the protection and actual condition of using the dental x-ray unit. J Korean Soc Radiol Tech 2000; 23(2): 43-54.
- Oh HJ, Kim SS, Kim YI, Lim HY, Kim HT, Lee HM, et al. A study on the directional dpendence of scatter ray in radiography. J Korean Soc Radiol Tech 1995; 18(1): 63-70.
- Heo J. Radiobiology. Seoul: Shinkwang pub; 1998: 125-9.
- Yoon JE. Kndwledge and attitude on radiation safety of dental hygienists[Master's thesis]. Yeungnam: Univ. of Kyeong-san, 2010.
- Han EO. Kwon DM. Analysis of the trend of knowledge, attitude and behavior related to radiation safety management: focused on radiation workers at medical Institutions. J Korean Soc Radiol Tech 2007; 30(4): 321-7.
- Jung BS. The analysis of factors influencing on radiation safety management behavior in dental hygienists[Master's thesis]. Seong-nam: Univ. of Gachon, 2013.
- Vassileva J, Stoyanov D. Quality control and patient dosimetry in dental cone beam CT. Radiat Prot Dosimetry 2010; 139(1-3): 310-2. https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncq011
- Espelid I, Mejare I, Weerheijm K. EAPD guidelines for use of radiographs in children. Eur J Paediatr Dent 2003; 4(1): 40-8.
- Jun SH, Han EO. Analysis of the behavior on the radiation safety management for dental hygienists. J Korea Acad Dent Health 2008; 32(3): 363-75.
- Yang NH. Five-year individual exposure doses of korean radiation workers: A fllow -up study under ICRP 103[Master's thesis]. Na-ju: Univ. of Donshin, 2014.
- Kim KW. A study on anxiety of dental hygienists about being exposed to radiation. J Korea Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2012; 14(1): 1-9.
- Niklason LT, Marx MV, Chan HP. Interventional radiologists: occupational radiation doses and risks. Radiol 1993; 187(3): 729-33. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.187.3.8497622
- Vano E1, Gonzalez L, Fernandez JM, Alfonso F, Macaya C. Occupational radiation doses in interventional cardiology: a 15-year follow-up. Br J Radiol 2006; 79(941): 383-8. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/26829723
- Hellawell GO1, Mutch SJ, Thevendran G, Wells E, Morgan RJ. Radiation exposure and the urologist: what are the risks?. J Urol 2005; 174(3): 948-52. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000170232.58930.8f
- Na HH, Jin HJ, Lee MK. The awareness and performance towards the dental radiation protection behaviors in Busan and Gyeong-nam. J Korean soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(5): 673-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.673. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.673
- Han OS, Woo SH, Kim SY. The knowledge and attitude toward radiation safety management in dental clinic worker. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(6): 849-57. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.849. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.849
- Yoon JA, Yoon YS. A survey about the knowledge, attitudes and behavior for radiation safety management of operating room nurse and dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(2): 230-9.
- Seong MK, Jang KA. Influences on radiation management practice of general characteristics and radiation safety management practice for dental hygienists in busan and gyeongnam province. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013; 13(3): 264-70.
- Jun SH, Han EO. Analysis of the behavior on the radiation safety management for dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2008; 32(3): 363-75.
Supported by : 원광보건대학교