- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of current status of a dental hygiene science curriculum according to the dental hygienist competency
치과위생사 역량에 따른 교육과정 현황 분석: G 대학 치위생학과 교육과정을 중심으로
- Received : 2015.12.29
- Accepted : 2016.04.05
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate and analyzed the current status of a dental hygiene curriculum according to the dental hygienist competency. Methods: The study subjects were 59 courses in the department of dental hygiene in G University from April 1 to May 30, 2015. Except for liberal arts, 51 courses were finally selected and analyzed for the relationship between the curriculum and competency. For each course, systematic reviews were made by subject name, core competency, achievement goals, lecture hours, weekly themes, and learning goals. Three experts in the dental hygiene evaluated and analyzed the association of competency and goals. Results: Each course was operated by the goal from one to twenty two competencies of dental hygiene. Achieving one item of competency in a course required 13 hours on the average from minimum 2 hours to maximum 30 hours. More than 20 courses were operated and more than 900 hours were necessary for achieving the competency. The competency included the contents of 'Be able to utilize basic medical and dental knowledge in dental hygiene care and patient care' among the dental hygiene competencies. Conclusions: Competency based dental hygiene education will provide theoretical background for defining the identity of dental hygienist as a health care worker and to encourage professionals who contribute to the recognition of healthy society. Further research should be continued for improving the competency-based dental hygiene curriculum and education methods for implementing the curriculum within the paradigm of health care services.
competency;competency-based curriculum;integrated curriculum;dental hygiene
- Park MJ. A new approach to curriculum development in higher education: competence-based curriculum. The Journal of Curriculum Studies 2008; 26: 173-97. https://doi.org/10.15708/kscs.26.4.200812.008
- So KH. An investigation on new approaches to curriculum design for the knowledge-based society. The Journal of Curriculum Studies 2006; 24: 39-59.
- Kim HY, Lee SJ. Diagnosis and direction of the competence-based educational model: based on the courses and effects. The Korean Journal of General Education 2012; 12: 11-40.
- Kim S. The concept and necessity of learning outcome. Korean J Med Educ 2012; 24: 89-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2012.24.2.89. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2012.24.2.89
- Association of American Medical Colleges. Physicians for the twenty-first century. The GPEP report: report of the panel on the general professional education of the physician and college preparation for medicine. Washington DC: Association of American Medical Colleges; 1984: 15-38.
- Association of American Medical Colleges. Report I. Learning objectives for medical student education: guidelines for medical schools. Washington DC: Association of American Medical Colleges; 1998: 3-10.
- Park BY. A Study on the concept and the pedagogical meaning of the competency-based dental education: based on the competency profile of ADEA. Journal of Employment and Skills Development 2008; 11: 215-35.
- Chun KH, Kang EC. A competency modeling for medical education. Journal of Educational Technology 2011; 27: 341-64. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.27.2.341
- Ko JK, Chung MS, Choe MA, Park YI, Bang KS, Kim JA, et al. Modeling of nursing competencies for competency-based curriculum development. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2013; 19: 87-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.1.87.
- Cho YS. Developing a competency-based curriculum for dental hygiene program. The Journal of Namseoul Univ 2004; 10: 409-47.
- Bae SM, Shin SJ, Jang JH, Chung WG. Implementation of assessment in a competency-based dental hygiene science education. Cheonan: Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors; 2014: 11-9.
- Lee HS. Analysis of dental hygiene curriculum of dental hygiene programs in Korea. J Korean Acad Dental Hygiene Education 2009; 9: 808-23.
- Lee SM, Kim CH, Ann SY, Won YS. A study on the integrated curriculum of basic science for dental hygiene education. Cheonan: Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors; 2015: 68-70.
- Lee YM, Lee KJ, Lee YJ, Ahn DS. Evaluation of integrated lectures at Korea university, college of medicine. Korean J Med Educ 2000; 12: 343-51.
- Koo MS. A Comparative study on the integrative curriculum of liberal social medicine in major medical school. JCI 2010; 4: 115-48.
- Sun WJ. An inquiry of conceptual model development of integrated curriculum in medical education - in a perspective of Layered structure[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2011.
- Lee SM, Yoo JS, Ann SY, Lim MH, Won YS, Han JY. A study on the integrated curriculum of Clinical Dentistry for dental hygiene education. Cheonan: Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors; 2014: 91-7.
- Moon SE, Kim YJ, Kim SY, Cho HE, Lee BR, Lee BY. Study on the integrated curriculum model of clinical dental hygiene practice to establish professionalism of dental hygienist. Cheonan: Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors; 2015: 40-6.
Supported by : 대한치위생(학)과교수협의회