- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Influential Factors Associated with Hospitalization Period of Patients from Traffic Accident by Groups: A Korean Medicine Hospital Experience, Respective Chart Review
한방병원에 교통사고로 입원한 환자의 입원기간에 영향을 미치는 요인분석
- Jeon, Dong Hwi (Department of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dae-Jeon University) ;
- Lee, Eun Jung (Department of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dae-Jeon University) ;
- Oh, Min-Seok (Department of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dae-Jeon University)
- Received : 2016.03.22
- Accepted : 2016.04.11
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives This study was designed to find out influential factors associated with Hospitalization of the patients from traffic accident by Groups. Methods Based on the medical charts, we analyzed statistical study of 486 patients putting them into two groups to identify the factors associated with the duration of hospitalization involving age, sex, elapse day (Interval between time of injury and visit to hospital), and the types of accident. Patients in group A were diagnosed with a mere 'sprain', and patients in Group B had other symptoms accompanied by 'sprain'. Results 1. In group A, cervical sprain was the most and male patients with the symptom outnumbered female patients. In group B, headache was most where female patients had the symptom 1.7 times more than male patients. 2. Female patients in group B were found to stay for a longer period of time in the hospital than the male counterparts (p<0.05). 3. Both group A and B have positive correlation between length of hospital stay and age though group B exhibited stronger correlation. 4. Patients who had accident while riding bus in group A and those who were pedestrians in group B were found to stay in the hospital for a significantly longer period of time than those who had any other types of accident (p<0.05). Conclusions We noticed that hospital stay lengthened when the patients were older and when they had accidents while riding bus in Group A whereas in Group B, patients stayed longer when they were females and older as well as when they were pedestrians in accidents.
Traffic accident;Korean medicine hospital;Medical chart;Influential Factors;Hospitalization
- CHUNA guidelines of traffic accident injuries. Seoul : Korean Society of CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2006:11-8.
- Park. TY, Lee. JH, Ko YS, Woo YM, Song YS, Shin BC. The Statistical Study of 84 Traffic Accident Patients hospitalized in Oriental Medical Hospital. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine. 2005;6(1):31-40.
- The Society of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine The third edition. Seoul: KOONJA. 2011:179, 204-5,341.
- Park SY, Lee YK, Kim JS, Lee SC, Lee BH, Jung TY, Ha ID, Han SW, Lee KM. Survery of Korean Medical Care for Traffic Accident Patients with Automobile insurance; 544 Cases Report. The Acupuncture. 2009;26(3):1-10.
- Park JH. Effects of Stress Induced by Traffic Accidents on the Blood Concentrations of Cortisol, Glucose and Cytokines. The Korean Society of Emergency Medicine. 1998;9(4):607-13.
- Park JO, Jung H, Heo DS. Clinical Study of the Effects of Gwibi-tang and Danggwisusan on Traffic Accident Patients with Acute Cervicolumbar Disorder. Journal of Korean rehabilitation medicine. 2015;25(3):81-90.
- Jung KH, Hwang HS, Jeon. JC, Kim MS, Park JY, Lee TH, Lee EY, Roh JD. Correlation Analysis of Subjective Stress Caused by Traffic Accident with Prognosis. The Acupuncture. 2009;26(6):161-9.
- Policy planning of Health medical field data production.management for Establishment of Evidence Based Healthcare Policy. 2013-10-31. URL: http://www.neca.re.kr/
- Kim EG, Lee DG, Jeong WJ, Cho HS, Bae JI, Kim SH, Kim KH. The Clinical Study on 500 Cases with Traffic Accident Patients Admitted in Korean Medical Hospital. The Acupuncture. 2009;26(5):29-38.
- Kim KH, Choi JB. The Clinical Study on 51 cases with Traffic Accident. Journal of Korean rehabilitation medicine. 2001;12(4):91-9.
- Lee JE, Jung. HK, Ryu CR, Cho MR, Wi J, Ryu MS, Kim JY. The Clinical Study on 120 Cases with Traffic Accident. The Acupuncture. 2008;(12)135-43.
- Go GS, Kim SJ, Oh MS, Song TW, Lee CW. The Analysis of 260 Admission Patients in Korean Medical Hospital due to Traffic Accident Objectives.Journal of Korean rehabilitation medicine. 1993;3(1):107-31.
- Park DS, Phil KH, Lee JH, Kong JC, Baek DG, Song YS, Kwon YM. Survey of Satisfaction with Oriental Medical Care for Traffic Accident Patients ; 35 Cases Report. Journal of Korean rehabilitation medicine. 2008;18(3):99-118.
- Yoon IJ, Oh MS, Song TW. The Analysis of 112 Admission Patients in Korean Medical Hospital due to Traffic Accident Objectives. Journal of Korean rehabilitation medicine. 1998;8(1):317-32.
- Kook KH, Oh MS. The Analysis of 509 Admission Patients in Korean Medical Hospital due to Traffic Accident. Journal of Korean rehabilitation medicine. 2012;22(4):169-83.
- Shin JH, Oh MS. The Retrospective Analysis of 1,162 Traffic Accident Inpatients in Korean Medicine Hospital. Journal of Korean rehabilitation medicine. 2013;23(4):233-50.
- Lee EJ, Oh MS, Song TW, Lee CW. Korean Medicine Approach to Patients due to Traffic Accident. Journal of Korean rehabilitation medicine. 1997;7(1):218-27.
- Kang JH, Jang SG, Lee H, Lee BR. The clinical study on 37 cases of whiplash injury patients which caused by traffic accident. The Acupuncture. 2002;19(3):180-91.
- Son DY, Kim MS, Cho SW, Ko GH, Nam JH, An HD, Lee IS. The Correlation between the Stress with the Pain and Duration on the Traffic Accident Patients in Oriental Medical Hospital. Journal of Korean rehabilitation medicine. 2005;15(3):45-53.
- Han C, Park JH, Lee. JH, Min KS, Han KW. Changes of quality of life and subjective stress after the oriental medicine treatment, among the patinets who had visited hospital due to traffic accidents. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2010;21(2):17-28.
- Lee HE, Cho JH, Sul MC. The Clinical Studies on the Patients with Headache Diagnosed as "Cervical Sprain" after the Car Accident. The Korean Journal of Sports Medicine. 2009:9(1):29-35.
- Kim ST, Song MY, Kim DH, Lee EJ, Kwan MG, Sul JU, Kim.SJ, Bae GJ, Choi JB. Clinical Study on Pain Index, Radiological Evaluation and MMPI of Traffic Accident Patient. Journal of Korean rehabilitation medicine. 2015;25(1):77-85. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.1.077