- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Thermographic Study on Effectiveness of Acupuncture, Electro-Acupuncture and Acupuncture with Pulsed Electromagnetic Therapy on Upper Extremity of Healthy and Hemiplegic Group
건강인군과 편마비군에 시행한 침, 전침 및 박동성 전기자장 치료가 상지의 체열 변화에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Jong-Ha (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dongguk University) ;
- Song, Mi-Young (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dongguk University) ;
- Keum, Dong-Ho (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dongguk University)
- Received : 2016.03.22
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.04.30
Objectives This study was performed to evaluate the effects of acupuncture, electro-acupuncture and acupuncture with pulsed electromagnetic therapy on upper extremity of healthy people and hemiplegic patients by D.I.T.I.. Methods 20 healthy people and 20 hemiplegic patients caused by stroke were selected. They have been treated three different types of treatment; acupuncture, electro-acupuncture and acupuncture with pulsed electromagnetic therapy. And skin temperature of upper extremity has been measured before and after each treatment by D.I.T.I.. The thermographic data was analyzed by 'Independent T-test' and 'Repeated measures ANOVA test'. Results 1. In healthy group, there was very statistical significant difference (p<0.001) of the amount of thermal change by each treatment, and the amount of change was arranged in descending order; acupuncture with pulsed electromagnetic, acupuncture and electro-acupuncture. 2. In hemiplegic group, the skin temperature of hemiplegic side was
Hemiplegic;Thermography;Acupuncture;Electro-Acupuncture;Pulsed electromagnetic therapy
- You SJ, Hwang KC, Kim HJ, Kwon HC. An effects of mirror therapy on upper extremity function and activity of daily living in patients with post-stroke hemiplegia. The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy. 2011;19(2):25-37.
- Ji SG, Cha HG, Kim MK. Stroke recovery can be enhanced by using repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation combined with mirror therapy. Journal of Magnetics. 2014;19(1):28-31. https://doi.org/10.4283/JMAG.2014.19.1.028
- Olsen TS. Arm and Leg Paresis as Outcome Predictors in Stroke Rehabilitation. Stroke. 1990;21:247-51. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.21.2.247
- Kjendahl A, Sallstrom S, Osten PE, Stanghelle JK, Borchqrevink CF. A one year follow-up study on the effects of acupuncture in the treatment of stroke patients in the subacute stage: A randomized, controlled study. Clinical Rehabilitation. 1997;11(3):192-200. https://doi.org/10.1177/026921559701100302
- Kim MB, Shin HD, Kim SS. The influences of electroacupuncture at interosseous muscle for hand function in hemiplegic patients after stroke. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2005;15(4):17-28.
- Ryu SH. Effects of electroacupuncture stimulation on the hemiplegic upper extremity after stroke. Master's Thesis of Kyunghee University. 2001.
- Korean Stroke Society. Textbook of Stroke. Seoul:epublic publication. 2013. 3, 39-45, 422-3.
- Kim TH. Effects of EMG-triggered neuromuscular electrical stimulation to improve on hand function in patients with chronic hemiplegia. Master's Thesis of Yonsei University. 2003.
- Jang JW, Hong JA, Lee YJ, Park SK, Kim MC, Jung IT. The effects of moxibust ion on rehabilitation after stroke. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2004;14(2):97-108.
- Choi DJ, Ryu SH, Jung WS, Moon SK, Cho KH, Kim YS, Bae HS. The clinical efficacy of yangkyuksanwha-tang on acute stroke. The Journal of Korean Medicine. 2004;25(1):111-6.
- Yang CY, Shin BC, Chong BH. The effect of double application of functional electrical stimulation in patients with dysphagia after stroke. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2008;18(1):111-23.
- Kwon OG, Jang WS, Woo CH, An HD. The efficacy of adjusting leg length inequality by chuna manual treatment for post-stroke hemiplegia. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2009;19(2):187-202.
- Gosman-Hedstrom G, Claesson L, Klingenstierna U, Carlsson J, Olausson B, Frizell M, Fagerberg B, Blomstrand C. Effects of acupuncture treatment on daily life activities and quality of life;A controlled, prospective, and randomized study of acute stroke patients. Stroke. 1998;29:2100-8. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.29.10.2100
- Wang C, Wu Z, Li N, Zhao Y, Tian F, Zhou X, Wang Z. Clinical curative effect of electric acupuncture on acute cerebral infarction:a randomized controlled multicenter trial. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2014;34(6):635-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(15)30075-3
- Kim YS. Antispastic effects of electroacupuncture, TENS and NMES in stroke patient. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2000;17(2):209-20.
- Hopwood V. Acupucture in stroke recovery:a literature review. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 1996;4:258-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-2299(96)80087-2
- Kwon OH. Clinical observation on hemiplegia by computerized thermography. Master's Thesis of Kyunghee University. 1996.
- Park YC, Chae JS, Eom JY, Son SS, Choe IS. Thermographic study on the effects of deep acupuncture at hapkok(LI4) in cerebrovascular hemiplegia. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2003;20(4):134-44.
- Mulley G. Axillary temperature differences in hemiplegia. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 1980;56:248-9. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.56.654.248
- Wanklyn P, Ilsley DW, Greenstein D. The cold hemipegic arm. Stroke. 1994;25(9):1765-70. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.25.9.1765
- Korpelainen JT, Sotaniemi KA, Myllyla VV. Autonomic nervous system disorder in stroke. Clinical Autonomic Reserch. 1999;9:325-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02318379
- Hans N, Christian B, Sven E, Christer J, Thomas K, Gunnar WB. Autonomic and thermal sensory symptoms and dysfunction after stroke. Stroke. 1995;26:1379-85. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.26.8.1379
- Thurston NM, Kent B, Jewell MJ, Blood H. Thermographic evaluation of the painful shoulder in the hemiplegic patient. Physical Therapy. 1986;99:1376-81.
- Lee SH, Lee YH. Clinical Study with thermography on shoulder hand syndrome after stroke. The Journal of Korean Medicine. 1997;18(1):25-39.
- Yoon YJ, Lim HH. Study on thermographic changes of upper extremity of hemiplegic patients after stroke. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 1996;6(1):351-63.
- Trock DH, Bollet AJ, Markoll R. The effect of pulsed electromagnetic fields in the treatment of Osteoarthritis of the knee and cervical spine. Report of randomized, double blind, placebo controlled trials. The Journal of Rheumatology. 1994;21:1903-11.
- Hwang HJ, Park YH, Keum DH. Effects of pulsed electromagnetic therapy with acupuncture therapy for sacroiliac joint syndrome. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2010;20(3):75-91.
- Heo KH, Hwang HJ, Park YH, Keum DH. Effects of pulsed electromagnetic therapy for cervicogenic headaches: Randomised clinical trial. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2007;17(3):147-59.
- Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine Society. Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine. Seoul:Jipmundang publication. 2012. 15-7, 599-604.
- Skilbeck CE, Wade DT, Hewer RL, Wood VA. Recovery after stroke. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. 1993;46:5-8.
- Feys HM, Weerdt WJD, Selz BR, Steck GAC, Spichiger R, Vereeck LE, Putman KD, Hoydonck GAV. Effect of a therapeutic intervention for the hemiplegic upper limb in the acute phase after stroke;A single-blind, randomized, controlled multicenter trial. Stoke. 1998;29:785-92.
- Miltner WHR, Bauder H, Sommer M, Dettmers C, Taub E. Effect of constraint-induced movement therapy on patients with chronic motor deficits after stroke. Stroke. 1999;30:586-92. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.30.3.586
- Council on Scientific Affairs. AMA Council Report; Thermography in neurological and musculoskeletal conditions. Thermology. 1987;2:600-7.
- Ring EFJ, Ammer K. The Technique of infra red imaging in medicine. Thermology International. 2000;10:7-14.
- Michaels GL. Thermography as a diagnostic tool in chronic pain syndromes. Master's Thesis of Touro College. 1989.
- The Korean Society of Thermology. The Textbook of Thermology. Seoul:Medical publication. 2014. 72-6.
- Lee GM. Clinical evaluation of acupuncture on herniated of cervical intervetebral disc by DITI. The Journal of Korean Medicine. 1995;16(1):132-40.
- Sylvest J, Jensen EM, Siggaard-Andersen J, Pedersen L. Reflex dystrophy: resting blood flow and muscle temperature as diagnostic criteria. Scandinavian Journal of Rehabilitation medicine. 1977;9(1):25-9.
- Cline MA, Ochoa J, Torebjork HE. Chronic hyperalgesia and skin warming caused by sensitized C nociceptors. Brain. 1989;112(3):621-47. https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/112.3.621
- Lee SH, Lee JD, Lee YH. Thermographic study on the effects of acupuncture at Hapkok(LI4) in normal cases. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 1995;12(2):49-64.
- Ryu YH, Park HJ, Lim S, Lee HJ. The effects of acupoints stimulation on body skin temperature in kidney merdian. Journal of Korean Society of Diagnostic Thermology. 2002;2:45-50.
- Cho WY, Park KH. Study on thermographic change of DITI by acupuncture on sakwan point. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2003;20(1):51-60.
- Jang I, Yu KS, Lee YG. Sympathetic effects of needling on unilateral upper or lower limb by thermographic study. Journal of Korean Academi of Rehabilitation. 1992;16(2):197-204.
- Ernst M, Lee MHM. Sympathetic effects of manual and electrical acupuncture of the Tsusanli knee point: Comparison with the Hoku hand point sympathetic effects. Experimental Neurology. 1986;94:1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4886(86)90266-9
- Sandyk R. Treatment with electromagnetic fields reverses the long-term clinical course of a patient with chronic progessive multiple sclerosis. International Journal of Neuroscience. 1997;90:177-85. https://doi.org/10.3109/00207459709000637
- Kanai S, Taniguchi N, Okano H. Effect of magnetotherapeutic device on pain associated with neck and shoulder stiffness. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine. 2011;17(6):44-8.
- Raedt SD, Vos AD, Keyser JD. Autonomic dysfunction in acute ischemic stroke: An underexplored therapeutic area?. Journal of the Neurological Science. 2015;348:24-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2014.12.007
- Muslumanoglu L, Akyuz G, Aki S, Karsidag S, Us O. Evaluation of autonomic nervous system functions in post-stroke patients. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2002;81:721-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002060-200210000-00001
- Kang BK, Nam KW. Effect of the increased sympathetic outflow on the changes of muscle tone and central nervous system excitability in chronic stroke patients. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2011;12(11):5019-26. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.5019