- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Association of Sexual Maturation and Parent-Child Communication on Maturity Fears in Elementary School Girls
초등학교 여학생의 성적 성숙도, 부모자녀 의사소통 및 성숙 불안에 관한 연구
- Cho, Hun Ha (College of Nursing, Kosin University) ;
- Moon, So-Hyun (Department of Nursing, Mokpo National University)
- Received : 2016.03.22
- Accepted : 2016.04.14
- Published : 2016.04.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate factors that influence maturity fears in elementary school girls. Methods: The participants were 118 3rd and 4th grade students from 3 elementary schools in 3 cities in Korea. Data were collected using questionnaires which included measurement scales for the relative variables and demographic data. Data were analyzed using t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficients, and hierarchial regression analysis with SPSS/WIN 21.0. Results: The significant predictors of maturity fears were weight, father-child communication, frequency of maturity communication with father, and close relation with mother. Conclusion: For effective management of maturity fears in elementary school girls, programs including weight control, functional communication with father and supportive nurturance of mother should be developed.
Supported by : 목포대학교
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. Precocious puberty [Internet]. Seoul: Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service;2011 [cited 2016 March 15]. Available from: http://www.hira.or.kr/dummy.do?pgmid=HIRAA020041000000&cmsurl=/cms/notice/02/1205871_27116.html.
- Park MJ, Lee IS, Shin EK, Joung HJ, Cho SI. The timing of sexual maturation and secular trends of menarchial age in Korean adolescents. Korean Journal of Pediatrics. 2006; 49(6):610-616. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2006.49.6.610
- Golub MS, Collman GW, Foster PM, Kimmel CA, Meyts ER, Reiter EO, et al. Public health implications of altered puberty timing. Pediatrics. 2008;121(supple 3):S218-S230. http://dx.doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-1813G https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-1813G
- Roh SY, Kim KH. Sexual maturation, body image, and self-esteem among girls of lower grades in elementary school. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2012;23(4):405-414. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.4.405
- Graber JA, Seeley JR, Brooks-Gunn J, Lewinsohn PM. Is pubertal timing associated with psychopathology in young adulthood? Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2004;43(6):718-726. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.chi.0000120022.14101.11 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.chi.0000120022.14101.11
- Chung KM, Shin SH, Lee SA, Park MJ, Kim SH. Psychological characteristics of girls with precocious puberty. Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2012;17(2):461-477. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.2.012
- Graber JA, Lewinsohn PM, Seeley JR, Brooks-Gunn J. Is psychopathology associated with the timing of pubertal development? Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 1997;36(12):1768-1776. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199712000-00026 https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199712000-00026
- Patton GC, Hibbert ME, Carlin J, Shao Q, Rosier M, Caust J, et al. Menarche and the onset of depression and anxiety in Victoria, Australia. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 1996;50(6):661-666. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jech.50.6.661 https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.50.6.661
- Peterson AC, Taylor B. The biological approach to adolescence: Biological change and psychological adaptation, In: Adelson J, editor. Handbook of adolescent psychology. New York: Wiley; 1980. p. 117-155.
- Conger JJ, Petersen AC. Adolescence and youth. 3rd ed. New York:Harper & Row; 1984. p. 255-260.
- Cho HH, Yoon YM, Moon SH. Research trends on children with precocious puberty and their families in Korea. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health. 2014;18(1):97-108. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2014.18.1.97
- Tremblay L, Frigon JY. Precocious puberty in adolescent girls: a biomarker of later psychosocial adjustment problems. Child Psychiatry and Human Development. 2005;36(1):73-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10578-004-3489-2
- Mrug S, Elliott M, Gilliland MJ, Grunbaum JA, Tortolero SR, Cuccaro P, et al. Positive parenting and early puberty in girls. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. 2008;162(8):781-786. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.162.8.781 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.162.8.781
- Lee CJ, Oh KS, Jung OB. Pubertal timing and psychosocial development. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology. 1991;4(1):89-102.
- Lee SH, Lee SH. Relationships between menarche and emotional/behavioral traits in middle school girls. Journal of Emotional & Behavioral Disorders. 2010;26(1):163-180.
- Siegel JM, Yancey AK, Aneshensel CS, Schuler, R. Body image, perceived pubertal timing, and adolescent mental health. Journal of Adolescent Health. 1999;25(2):155-165. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(98)00160-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(98)00160-8
- Kaltiala-Heino R, Marttunen M, Rantanen P, Rimpela M. Early puberty is associated with mental health problems in middle adolescence. Social Science and Medicine. 2003;57(6):1055-1064. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(02)00480-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(02)00480-X
- Brooks-Gunn J, Warren MP. Biological and social contributions to negative affect in young girls. Child Development. 1989;60(1):40-45. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1131069 https://doi.org/10.2307/1131069
- Hayward C, Killen JD, Wilson DM, Hammer LD. Psychiatric risk associated with early puberty in adolescent girls. Journal of American Academy of Child Adolescent Psychiatry. 1997;36(2):255-262.
- Rierdan J, Koff E, Stubbs ML. Gender, depression, and body image in early adolescents. The Journal of Early Adolescence. 1988;8(2):109-117. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0272431688082001 https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431688082001
- Tanner JM. Growth at adolescence. 2nd ed. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publishers; 1962. p. 1-325.
- Barnes H, Olson DH. Parent-adolescent communication and the circumplex model. Child Deveolpment. 1985;56(2):438-447. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1129732 https://doi.org/10.2307/1129732
- Min HY. Circumplex model and parent-child communication [master's thesis]. Seoul:Yonsei University;1990. p. 1-70.
- Sinton M, Davison K, Birch L. Evaluating the association between girls' reactions to pubertal development and girls' risk for body dissatisfaction and disordered eating. Paper presented at: The annual meeting of the Academy for Eating Disorders; 2005 April; Montreal. Canada.
- Cho MH. Elementary school student's experience in puberty of physical. psychosocial by relationships with school adjustment homeroom teacher's stress [master's thesis]. Seoul:Hongik University;2010. p. 1-63.
- Ter Bogt TF, Van Dorsselaer SA, Monshouwer K, Verdurmen JE, Engels RC, Vollebergh WA. Body mass index and body weight perception as risk factors for internalizing and externalizing problem behavior among adolescents. The Journal of Adolescent Health. 2006;39(1):27-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2005.09.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2005.09.007
- Hardy DF, Power TG, Jaedicke S. Examining the relation of parenting to children's coping with everyday stress. Child Development. 1993;64(6):1829-1841. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.1993.tb04216.x https://doi.org/10.2307/1131472
- Mrug S, Elliott MN, Davies S, Tortolero SR, Cuccaro P, Schuster MA. Early puberty, negative peer influence, and problem behaviors in adolescent girls. Pediatrics. 2014;133(1):7-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-0628 https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-0628
- Brooks-Gunn J, Newman DL, Holderness C, Warren MP. The experience of breast development and girls' stories about the purchase of a bra. Journal of Youth and Adolescence. 1994;23(5):539-565. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01537735
- Emelumadu OF, Ezeama NN, Ifeadike CO, Ubajaka CF, Adogu PO, Umeh U, et al. Parents' perceptions of timing of initiation of sexuality discussion with adolescents in Anambra State, South Eastern Nigeria. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. 2014;27(5):294-300. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2013.12.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2013.12.008