- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Calculating a MR Damper's Optimal Capacity for a Control of Structural Vibration
구조물의 진동제어를 위한 MR-damper의 최적 제어력 산정
- Heo, Gwanghee (Department of International Civil & Plant Engineering, Konyang University) ;
- Jeon, Seunggon (Department of Civil Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- kim, Chunggil (Department of Civil Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jeon, Joonryong (Department of International Civil & Plant Engineering, Konyang University) ;
- Lee, Chinok (Department of Civil Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Seo, Sanggu (Department of Construction and Informatics, Chungnam State University)
- 허광희 (건양대학교 해외건설플랜트학과) ;
- 전승곤 (충남대학교 토목공학과) ;
- 김충길 (충남대학교 토목공학과) ;
- 전준용 (건양대학교 해외건설플랜트학과) ;
- 이진옥 (충남대학교 토목공학과) ;
- 서상구 (충남도립대학교 건설정보과)
- Received : 2015.11.24
- Accepted : 2016.03.11
- Published : 2016.05.01
In the case where a MR-damper is employed for vibration control, it is important to decide on how much control capacity should be assigned to it against structural capacities (strength and load, etc). This paper aims to present a MR-damper's control capacity suitable for the capacities of the structure which needs to be controlled. First, a two span bridge was built equipped with a MR-damper, which constitutes a two-span MR-damper control system. Then, inflicting an earthquake load on the system, a basic experiment was performed for vibration control, and a simulation was also carried out reflecting specific control conditions such as MR-damper and rubber bearing. The comparison of the results against each other proved their validity. Then, in order to calculate an optimal control capacity of the MR-damper, structural capacity was divided into eleven cases in total and simulated. For each case, an additional load of 30 KN was inflicted everytime, thereby increasingly strengthening structural capacity. As a result of the study, it was found that the control capacity of MR-damper of 30 KN was safely secured only with lumped mass of more than 150 KN(case 6). Therefore, it is concluded the MR-damper showed the best performance of control when it exerted its capacity at around 20% of structural capacity.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Anxin Guo, Zhongjun Li, Hui Li, Jinping Ou. Experimental and analytical study on pounding reduction of base-isolated highway bridges using MR dampers. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dtnamics. 2009;38:1307-1333. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.903
- Bogdan Sapiński, Jacek, Filus. Analysis of Parametric Models of MR Linear Damper. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. 2003;41(2):215-240.
- Carlson JD, Spencer JrBF, Magneto-rheological Fluid Dampers for Semi-active Seismic Control. Proc. 3rd International Conference on Motion and Vibration Control. Chiba. Japan. 1996;3:35-40.
- Dyke SJ, Spencer JrBF, Sain MK, Carlson JD. An Experimental Study of MR Dampers for Seismic Protection, Smart Materials and Structures: Special Issue on Large Civil Structures. 1998;7:693-703.
- Caicedo JM, Dyke SJ, Moon SJ, Bergman LA, Turan G, Hague S. Phase II benchmark control problem for seismic response of cablestayed bridges. Journal of Structural Control. 2003;10: 137-168. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.23
- Heo G, Kim C, Jeon S, Kim E. Control Performance Evaluation to Avoid Pounding of Bridges. Key Engineering Materials, vols. 2013: 569-570.
- Heo G, Jeon S. Characteristics and Dynamic Modeling of MR Damper for Semi-active Vibration Control. Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspectionn. 2013;17(6): 61-69. https://doi.org/10.11112/jksmi.2013.17.6.061
- Spencer JrBF, Dyke SJ, Sain MK, Carlson JD. Phenomenological Model of a Magneto rheological Damper. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. ASCE. 1997;123(3):230-238. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:3(230)
- Sodeyama H, Sunakoda K, Fujitani H, Sode H, Iwata N. Dynamic Test and Simulation of Magneto-Rheological Damper. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering. 2003;18:45-57. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8667.t01-1-00298
- Sodeyama H, Suzuki K, Sunakoda K. Development of Large Capacity Semi-Active Seismic Damper Using Magneto-Rheological Fluid. Journal of Vessel Technology. ASME. 2004;126:105-109. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1634587
- Iwata N, Sodeyama H, Sunakoda K, Hata K, Hiwatashi T, Shiozaki Y, Fujitani H, Soda S. Experimental Study on the Effectiveness of a Simple Semi-Active Control Algorithm for Base-Isolated Structures, The 11th Japan Earthquake Engineering Symposium. 2002;326: 1761-1766.
- Renzi E, Giorgio S. Testing and modelling a semi-actively controlled steel frame structure equipped with MR dampers. Structural Control and Health Monitoring. 2004;11:189-221. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.36