- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Vocal Range of Older Adults in Comparison with Young Adults Depending on the Presence of Pitch Cues
음정제시 유무에 따른 노인과 성인의 음역대 비교
- Received : 2015.10.21
- Accepted : 2015.12.29
- Published : 2016.04.28
The purpose of this study was to compare the vocal range between the older and young adults depending on the absence and presence of pitch cues. Participants were 44 older adults aged from 60 to 85 years and 59 college students aged from 19 to 25 years. Each participant was instructed to vocalize for examining the possible highest pitch to the lowest pitch in two conditions; with and without pitch cues. Without pitch cues, the maximum and minimum pitch of male participants was higher in the older adults than in the young adults group, while the minimum pitch of females was lower in the older adults group than in the young adults group. When presented with pitch cues, young adults could expand their vocal range, but the older adults showed no significant changes in produced vocal ranges. The results indicate that the range of voice in older adults may be affected by aging and these results can be beneficial when selecting the appropriate range of song for singing activities with older adults.
- 통계청, 2014 고령자 통계. http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=download&bSeq=&aSeq=330349&ord=3
- N. Roy, J. Stemple, R. M. Merrill, and L. Thomas, "Epidemiology of Voice Disorders in the Elderly: Preliminary Findings," Laryngoscope, Vol. 117, pp. 628-633, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1097/MLG.0b013e3180306da1
- L. A. Ramig, S. Gray, K. Baker, K. Corbin-Lewis, E. Buder, E. Luschei, H. Coon, and M. Smith, "The Aging Voice: A Review, Treatment Data and Familial and Genetic Perspectives," Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, Vol. 53, No. 5, pp. 252-265, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1159/000052680
- H. O. Costa and C. Matias, "Vocal Impact on Quality of Life of Elderly Female Subjects," Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology, Vol. 71, No. 2, pp. 172-178, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1808-8694(15)31307-0
- R. Turley and S. Cohen, "Impact of Voice and Swallowing Problems in the Elderly," Journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Vol. 140, No. 1, pp. 33-36, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otohns.2008.10.010
- R. Baken, "The Aged Voice: A New Hypothesis," Journal of Voice, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 317-325, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2004.07.005
- P. Baltes and K. Mayer, The Berlin Aging Study, Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- 임애리, 김향희, 김수련, 유현지, "문헌분석을 통한 노화에 따른 음성의 특징과 삶의 질 변화," 재활복지, 제17권, 제1호, pp. 259-276, 2013.
- S. Linville, "The Aging Voice," The ASHA leader, Vol. 9, pp. 12-21, 2004.
- 우미령, 최홍식, 백승재, 남정모, 최예린, "정상 노년층의 호흡 및 발성 특성," 말소리와 음성과학, 제2권, 제4호, pp. 245-252, 2010.
- 표화영, 신현섭, 송윤경, 윤영선, 이은경, 임성은, 하현령, 최홍식, "한국 성인의 정상 음성에 관한 기본 음성 측정치 연구," 음성과학, 제9권, 제2호, pp. 179-192, 2002.
- H. Goy, D. N. Fernandes, M. K. Pichora-Fuller, and P. van Lieshout, "Normative Data for Younger and Older Adults," Journal of Voice, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 545-555, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2013.03.002
- I. Guimaraes and E. Abberton, "Fundamental Frequency in Speakers of Portuguese for Different Voice Samples," Journal of voice, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 592-606, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2004.11.004
- 전희숙, 김효정, 신명선, "장 노년기 성인의 유창성 특성 연구," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제3호, pp. 318-326, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.3.318
- N. Roy, J. Stemple, R. Merrill, and L. Thomas, "Epidemiology of Voice Disorders in the Elderly: Preliminary Findings," The Laryngoscope, Vol. 117, pp. 628-633, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1097/MLG.0b013e3180306da1
- 임영란, 한국 노인의 가창성역에 관한 연구, 숙명여자대학교 석사학위논문, 2001.
- R. S. Moore, M. J. Staum, and M. Brotons, "Music Preferences of the Elderly: Repertoire, Vocal Ranges, Tempos, and Accompaniments for Singing," Journal of Music Therapy, Vol. 29, pp. 236-252, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1093/jmt/29.4.236
- M. A. Greenwald and R. S. Salzberg, "Vocal Range Assessment of Geriatric Clients," Journal of Music Therapy, Vol. 16, pp. 172-179, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1093/jmt/16.4.172
- L. T. Kuhn, G. Wachhaus, R. S. Moore, and J. E. Pantle, "A Comparative Survey of Undergraduate Non-music Major Vocal Ranges with Textbook Song Ranges and Elementary School Student's Vocal Range," Paper presented at the meeting of the Music Education National Conference, Chicago, 1978(4).
- P. Liu, Z. Chen, J. A. Jones, D. Huang, and H. Liu, "Auditory Feedback Control of Vocal Pitch During Sustained Vocalization: A Cross-Sectional Study of Adult Aging," PLoS ONE, Vol. 6, No. 7, pp. 1-8, 2011.
- H. Liu, N. M. Russo, and C. R. Larson, "Age-Related Differences in Vocal Responses to Pitch Feedback Perturbations: A Preliminary Study," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 127, No. 2, pp. 1042-1046, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.3273880
- W. S. Brown, R. J. Morris, H. Hollien, and E. Howell, "Speaking Fundamental Frequency Characteristics as a Function of Age and Professional Singing," Journal of Voice, Vol. 5, pp. 310-315, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(05)80061-X
- M. B. Higgins and J. H. Saxman, "A Comparison of Selected Phonatory Behaviors of Healthy Aged and Young Adults," Journal of Speech Hearing Research, Vol. 35, pp. 1000-1010, 1991.
- L. C. Teles-Magalhfies, M. I. Pegoraro-Krook, and R. Pegoraro, "Study of the Elderly Females' Voice by Phonetography," Journal of Voice, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 310-321, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(00)80077-6
- L. Heylen, F. L. Wuyts, F. Mertens, M. de Bodt, and P. H. Van de Heyning, "Normative Voice Range Profiles of Male and Female Professional Voice Users," Journal of Voice, Vol. 16, pp. 1-7, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(02)00065-6
- E. Ma, J. Robertson, C. Radford, S. Vagne, R. El-Halabi, and E. Yiu, "Reliability of Speaking and Maximum Voice Range Measures in Screening for Dysphonia," Journal of Voice, Vol. 21, pp. 397-406, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2006.03.004
- R Speyer, G. H. Wieneke, I. van Wijck-Warnaar, and P. H. Dejonckere, "Effects of Voice Therapy on the Voice Range Profiles of Dysphonic Patients," Journal of Voice, Vol. 17, pp. 544-556, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1067/S0892-1997(03)00079-1
- P. Larrouy-Maestri and D. Morsomme, "Criteria and Tools for Objectively Analysing the Vocal Accuracy of a Popular Song," Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology, Vol. 39, pp. 126-129, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3109/14015439.2013.777112
- P. Larrouy-Maestri, Y. Leveque, D. Schon, A. Giovanni, and D. Morsomme, "The Evaluation of Singing Voice Accuracy: A Comparison Between Subjective and Objective Methods," Journal of Voice, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 1-5, 2013.
- P. Gramming, J. Sundberg, S. Ternstrom, R. Leanderson, and W. H. Perkins, "Relationship Between Changes in Voice Pitch and Loudness," Journal of Voice, Vol. 2, pp. 118-126, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(88)80067-5
- A. R. Reich, J. A. Mason, R. R. Frederickson, and R. S. Schlauch, "Factors Influencing Fundamental Frequency Range Estimates in Children," Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 429-238, 1989.
- E. Lauri, P. Alku, E. Vilkman, E. Sala, and M. Sihvo, "Effects of prolonged oral reading on time-based glottal flow waveform parameters with special references to gender differences," Follia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 234-246, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1159/000266461
- 권용철, 박종한, "노인용 한국판 Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE-K)의 표준화 연구, 제1편: MMSE-K의 개발," 신경정신의학, 제28권, pp. 125-135, 1989.
- M. Cannizzaro, B. Harel, N. Reilly, P. Chappell, and P. J. Snyder, "Voice Acoustical Measurement of the Severity of Major Depression," Brain and Cognition, Vol. 56, pp. 30-35, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bandc.2004.05.003
- C. Sobin and H. A. Sackeim, "Psychomotor symptoms of depression," American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 154, pp. 4-17, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.154.1.4
- 한홍무, 염태호, 신영우, 김교현, 윤도준, 정근재, "Beck Depression Inventory의 한국판 표준화 연구: 정상집단을 중심으로 ( I )," 신경정신의학, 제25권, 제23호, pp. 487-502, 1986.
- 신민섭, 김중술, 박광배, "한국판 Beck 우울 척도의 분할점과 분류 오류," 한국심리학회, 제12권, 제1호, pp. 71-81, 1993.