- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Job Characteristics and Job Stress on Children's Hospital Nurses' Turnover Intention
직무특성과 직무스트레스가 아동병원 간호사의 이직의도에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.12.02
- Accepted : 2015.12.16
- Published : 2016.04.28
Purpose: This study was performed to investigate the influence of children's hospital nurses' job characteristics and job stress on turnover intention. Method: The subjects were 148 nurses who have been working in 6 children's hospitals located in G city. Measurement tools used for this study included job characteristics were created by Lee, and modified by Hong, and job stress tool developed Kim & Ku and modified by Choi. And the tools used for assessing turnover intention were created by Mobley and Becker and modified by Kim. The collected data was analyzed using descriptive statistics, the independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, Pearson' Correlation and regression on SPSS 21.0 program. Result: Job challenge and job fitness among the sub-areas of job characteristics, job stress and salary were identified as factors influencing turnover intention. These factors explained 36.5% of variance of turnover intention. Conclusion: In conclusion, this results can be used to help the children's hospitals creates an environment where nurses can enhance Job challenge and job fitness also, reduce job stress which lead to turnover rate and turnover intention.
- Y. A. Ku, Y. J. Han, and S. S. Ahn, "A Study on evaluation over medical services and its improving methods in the general hospital," The academy of customer satisfaction management, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 103-128, 2011.
- H. I. Kang, "A Study of Occupational Satisfaction, Stress and Customer Orientation of Upper-scale General Hospital Nurses," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 268-277, 2010.
- Korean Hospital Nurses Association, "Survey on the current nurse deployment," Korean Hospital Nurses Association, pp. 99-109, 2012.
- E. H. Lee, S. J. Chang, H. O. Kim, J. H. Roh, E. J. Park, and J. U. Won, "Relationship between job stress and turnover of registered nurses in a University hospital," Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 93-104, 2007.
- Y. E. Lee and Y. J. Lee, "Difference of nursing education needs of Mothers of hospitalized children and nurse's nursing education performance perceived by mother," Academic conference papers in Academy of Child Health Nursing, No. 6, p.101, 2009.
- M. Lloyd, "When a child says 'no': experiences of nurses working with children having invasive procedures," Pediatric Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 4, 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/paed2008.05.20.4.29.c8252 https://doi.org/10.7748/paed2008.05.20.4.29.c8252
- M. H. Park, "The effect of job stress on positive thinking, organizational commitment and turnover intention of pediatric nurse," Crisis and Emergency Management; Theory and Praxis, Vol. 10, No. 11, pp. 269-287, 2014.
- R. D. Iverson, "Employee intent to stay: An empirical test of a revision of the price and Mueller model," Iowa University, pp. 1-522, 1992.
- H. K. Cho, T. Y. Lee, and C. W. Kim, "Hospital nurse turnover rate and structural characteristics of hospital," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 453-461, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.453 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.453
- Y. H. Yom, M. S. Ko, K. K. Kim, T. S. Kim, S. Min, and J. S. Park, Nursing Management. Soomoonsa, 2011.
- P. C. Beecroft, F. Dorey, and M. Wenten, "Turnover intention in new graduate nurses: a multivariate analysis," Journal of Advanced Nursing, No. 62, pp. 41-52, 2008. http://doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04570.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04570.x
- S. J. Moon and S. S. Han, "A predictive model on turnover intention of nurses in Korea," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 633-641, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.633
- G. S. Yoon and S. Y. Kim, "Influences of job stress and burnout on turnover intention of nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 507-516, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.633 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.507
- S. J. Yoo and Y. H. Choi, "Predictive factors influencing turnover intention of nurses in small and medium-sized hospitals in Daegu city," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 16-25, 2009.
- M H. Sung and S. Y. Cho, "The relationship between job characteristics and organizational commitment and turnover intention in emergency department nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 566-574, 2010.
- Y. M. Kim and Y. S. Kang, "The Relationship among Career Plateau, Self-efficacy, Job embeddedness and turnover intention of nurses in small and medium sized hospitals," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 5078-5090, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.10.5078 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.10.5078
- M. S. Song, "Influence of emotional labor on job involvement, job satisfaction, and turnover intention of clinical nurses," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 3741-3750, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3741 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3741
- J. Y. Hong, Influential factors on carrier commitment of nurses: the affect of nurse's job characteristics and career characteristics to career commitment, Ewha Womans University, 2007.
- K. U. Lee, Determinants of career commitment and its influences on employees' attitudes, Sogang University, p.1-140, 2000.
- J. W. Ko and Y. H. Yom, "The role of social support in the relationship between job stress and job satisfaction/organizational commitment among hospital nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 265-274, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.2.265
- Y. H. Kim and B. H. Seo, "A comparative study on job stress between general wards nurses and pediatrics wards nurses," Academic conference papers in Academy of Child Health Nursing, No. 6, p.53, 2006.
- E. J. Kim, "The relationship among ego-states and job stress of nurses at pediatrics," The Korean Journal of Stress Research, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 31-40, 2013.
- M. O. Gu and M. J. Kim, "An analytical study of work stress among clinical nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 39-49, 1985.
- M. Y. Heo, A Thesis on nurse's work-related stress, job satisfaction, character Types and intention of job change, Youngnam University, 2011.
- M. R. Kim, "Influential factors on turnover intention of nurses; the affect of nurse's organizational commitment to turnover intention," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 335-344, 2007.
- S. H. Lim, J. S. Yeo, I. M. Byeon, Y. J. Huh, J. W. Kong, and H. A. Kim, "Study on attitudes toward professional autonomy and job satisfaction of pediatric nurses," Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, No. 5, pp. 37-54, 2001.
- G. S. Jang, M. H. Lee, I. S. Kim, Y. M. Hong, N. S. Ha, and B. H. Kong, Ethics & Profession of Nursing, Hyunmoonsa, 2013.
- S. H. Choi, I. S. Jang, S. M. Park, and H. Y. Lee, "Effects of Organizational Culture, Self-Leadership and Empowerment on Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention in General Hospital Nurses," Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 206-214, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.206 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.206
- S. H. Kim and M. A. Lee, "A study of the reward and the job satisfaction perceived by nurses," Journal Korean Academy Nursing Administration, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 122-130, 2006.
- G. C. Lee, S. M. Kwon, and M. S. You, "Local residents' perceived service quality between their residential area and Seoul-area large hospitals," The Korean Journal of Health Economics and Policy, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 1-23, 2011.