- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Promoting the Consumption of Sangju-Dried Persimmons as Functional Food through Scientific Inquiry
약선(藥膳)의 과학적 원리를 통한 상주곶감 소비촉진 방안 연구
- Choi, Jung-Hoon (Center for Integrated general education, Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Chang-Man (Division of Science Education, Chemistry Education Major, Daegu University)
- Received : 2016.02.11
- Accepted : 2016.02.22
- Published : 2016.04.30
Sangju, a city in the North Gyeongsang Province, is well known as "Three Whites", representing its three main agricultural products: rice, silkworm, and dried persimmons. Therefore, development of a variety of dishes or products that can promote the consumption of dried persimmons is an urgent requirement for this region. This study was designed to provide fundamental information for revitalizing community-based specialized agriculture through scientific inquiry into medicinal foods and to develop a medicinal food menu based on the results of previous research and pre-survey. The pre-survey results and incompatibility revealed that palatability influenced people's decision to consume dried persimmons far more than pharmacological functionality. Therefore, palatability played an important part in the development of dried persimmon puddings with acceptable texture. These dishes are in high demand as they suit the tastes of variety of consumers. The inclusion of various additives lowered the sugar content in the developed foods and made the products alkalescent (pH > 7), thereby improving functionality. Unique color and flavor additives were also important criteria that determined the selection attributes of the developed medicinal foods. In addition, the additives had a positive effect on the fragrance and texture of the foods. In conclusion, the results suggested that use of additives provides significant advantages in promoting the consumption of Sangju-dried persimmons by improving both functionality and palatability.
- Choi, H. J., 2008, Consumption of dried persimmons (Gotgam) & food development based on dried persimmons, M. D. Dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Goh, S. H., 2008, Antioxidant activity in dried persimmon and quality characteristics of dried persimmon yogurt, M. D. Dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Gyongsangbuk-do Agricultural Research & Extension Service Sangju Persimmon Experimental Farm, http://gam.gba.go.kr/.
- Kang, M. S., 2003, A Study of Yaksunyori menu develop a plan, M. D. Dissertation, Kyonggi University, Suwon, Korea.
- Kim, G. Y., 2009, Medicinal cuisine and foods science, Euisung Dang, Seoul, Korea, 7-43, 145-230.
- Kim, G. Y., Choi, Y. H., 2009, An Introduction to medicinal cuisine and foods science, Euisung Dang, Seoul, Korea, 12-67, 70-134, 154-183, 212-245.
- Kim, H. O., 2004, Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk by the addition of ried Persimmons (Gotgam) extracts, Sangju National Univeristy, Graduate school of Industry, Sangju, Korea.
- Kim, J. M., 2007, Research on the menu selecting attribute of medicinal cuisine and customers' recognition, M. D. Dissertation, Dongeui University, Busan, Korea.
- Kim, J. Y., 2013, Quality characteristics of yanggaeng with different amount of dried persimmon puree, M. D. Dissertation, Kyunghee University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, K. J., 2014, A Study on the influence of medicated diet restaurant's menu selection attributes on customer satisfaction and long-term relationship orientation, M. D. Dissertation, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.
- Korea Yacksun Institute, 2013, Yacksun ingredient dictionary, v1.0 App, Google Play.
- Lee, D. Y., 2008, Marketing strategy to activate the traditional food : Centering on dried persimmons, M. D. Dissertation, Chungang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Na, J. K., 2004, A New approach for menu development, J. Food. Ser. Manage., 7(1), 139-155.
- Park, H. J., 2009, A Study on the effects of perceived value and risk perception on satisfaction and loyalty in yaksum food & beverage, Ph. D. Dissertation, Gangneung National University, Gangneung, Korea.
- Sangju ilpum dried persimmon, http://ilpumgam.alltheway.kr/dried persimmon
- Bae, E. A., 1998, Biological activities of functional herbal Foods, Ph. D. Dissertation, Kyunghee University, Seoul, Korea.
- Cha, S. B., Park, K. T., 2003, The development of traditional local menus using medicinal cooked food in Chonan area, J. Tour. Leis Res., 15(2), 9-22.
- Geographical indication and development plans in South Korea: a study on dried persimmons vol.14, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/21580103.2018.1425161