- Volume 25 Issue 4
The biological wastewater treatment plant, which uses microbial community to remove organic matter and nutrients in wastewater, is known as its nonlinear behavior and uncertainty to operate. Therefore, operation of the biological wastewater treatment process much depends on observation and knowledge of operators. The manual inspection of human operators is essential to manage the process properly, however, it is impossible to detect a fault promptly so that the process can be exposed to improper condition not securing safe effluent quality. Among various process faults, equipment malfunction is critical to maintain normal operational state. To detect equipment faults automatically, the dynamic time warping was tested using on-line oxidation-reduction potential (ORP) and dissolved oxygen (DO) profiles in a sequencing batch reactor (SBR), which is a type of wastewater treatment process. After one cycle profiles of ORP and DO were measured and stored, they were warped to the template profiles which were prepared already and the distance result, accumulated distance (D) values were calculated. If the D values were increased significantly, some kinds of faults could be detected and an alarm could be sent to the operator. By this way, it seems to be possible to make an early detecting of process faults.
Dynamic time warping (DTW);Fault detection;SBR;Wastewater treatment
- Sakoe, H., Chiba, S., 1978, Dynamic programming algorithm optimization for spoken word recognition, IEEE trans. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 26(1), 43-49. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASSP.1978.1163055
- Sakoe, H., Isotani, R., Yoshida, K., Iso, K., Watanabe, T., 1989, Speaker-independent word recognition using dynamic programming neural networks, Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, ICASSP, 29-32.
- Jun, B. H., Poo, K. M., Lim, J. H., Kim, J. R., Woo, H. J., Kim, C. W., 2003, External carbon feeding strategy for enhancing nitrogen removal in SBR, Wat. Sci. Tech., 49(5-6), 325-331.
- Jun, B. H., 2011, Fault detection using dynamic time warping (DTW) algorithm and discriminant analysis for swine wastewater treatment, J. Hazard. Mater., 185(1), 262-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.09.027
- Olsson, G., Newell, B., 1999, Wastewater treatment systems modelling, diagnosis and control, IWA publishing, UK.
- Poo, K. M., Jun, B. H., Lee, S. H., Im, J. H., Woo, H. J., Kim, C. W., 2003, Treatment of strong nitrogen swine wastewater at full-scale sequencing batch reactor, Wat. Sci. Tech., 49(5-6), 315-323.
- Casarotto, S., Bianchi, A. M., Cerutti, S., Chiarenza, G. A., 2005, Dynamic time warping in the analysis of event-related potentials, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, 68-77.
- Kim, Y. J., Bae, H., Poo, K. M., Ko, J. H., Kim, C. W., Woo, H. J., 2006a, Equipment fault diagnosis system of sequencing batch reactor (SBR) using rule-base fuzzy inference and on-line sensing data, Wat. Sci. Tech., 53(4-5), 383-392. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2006.144
- Kim, Y. J., Bae, H., Ko, J. H., Poo, K. M., Kim, S., Woo, H. J., Kim, C. W., 2006b, Rule-based fuzzy inference system for estimating the influent COD/N ratio and ammonia load to a sequencing batch reactor, Wat. Sci. Tech., 53(1), 199-207.
- Kim, Y., Bae, H., Kim, H., Shin, J., Kim, C., 2010, Settling state detection of SBR based on DO profile analysis using dynamic time warping, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 27(2), 504-510. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-010-0081-2
Supported by : 한국연구재단