- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Assessing Biodiversity of Benthic Macroinvertebrates and Influences of Several Environmental Factors on the Community Structure in Upo Wetland by Long-term Ecological Monitoring
- Kim, Hyoung-Gon (Department of Biology & Chemistry, Changwon National University) ;
- Lee, Dong-Jun (Department of Biology & Chemistry, Changwon National University) ;
- Yoon, Chun-Sik (Department of Biology & Chemistry, Changwon National University) ;
- Cheong, Seon-Woo (Department of Biology & Chemistry, Changwon National University)
- Received : 2015.11.23
- Accepted : 2016.04.05
- Published : 2016.04.30
We assessed the distribution of benthic macroinvertebrate at four surveying sites in Upo Wetland, a Ramsar site and the largest wetland in Korea, from February 2006 to November 2013. A long-term ecological monitoring was done monthly by using quantitative sampling method with dip net for analyzing the community change and correlation between the biodiversity and the environmental factors because environmental factors have a decisive effect on the community structure of the benthic macroinvertebrates. Total samples from the Upo Wetland area were classified into 3 phyla, 6 classes, 17 orders, 68 families, 176 species, and 25,720 individuals. Among the 176 species, 62 of the species had not been previously reported in this area. Asellus sp., Diplonychus esakii, and Gyraulus chinensis were the most common species in Upo Wetland. The change patterns of annual species diversity and species richness were calculated by using the average number of monthly occurring species and individuals. Diversity index increased from March to May and decreased after that showing lower diversity indices in July and August. It increased again in September and in October. Richness index showed similar tendency and fell around February and July, followed by a rising tendency around May and October. Correlation and regression analyses were performed with the change of biodiversity and each environmental factor. We found that water temperature have very significant positive correlation with species diversity in spring, and have significant indices in autumn and winter. On the other hand, precipitation showed a significantly negative correlation value in summer and autumn suggesting it has an effect on the community structure of benthic macroinvertebrates.
Supported by : Ministry of Environment-Korea National Long-Term Ecological Research
- Allan, J. D., 1995, Stream Ecology, Structure and function of running waters, Chapman and Hall, Landon, 388.
- Bae, Y. J., Jo, S. I., Hoang, D. H., Lee, H. G., Na, K. B., 2004, Biodiversity and community composition of benthic macroinvertebrates from Upo Wetlands in Korea, Kor. J. Env. Eco., 18, 75-91.
- Behera, M. D., Kushwaha, S. P., 2012, The charms and challenges of climate change biodiversity in a warming world, Biodivers. Conserv., 21, 1153-1158. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-012-0281-7
- Brower, J., Zar, J., von Ende C. N., 1977, Field and laboratory methods for general ecology, McGraw-Hill Science, 226.
- Brown, A. V., Brussock, P. P., 1991, Comparisons of benthic invertebrates between riffles and pools, Hydrobiol., 220, 99-108. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00006542
- Canfield, T. J., Kemble, N. E., Brumbaugh, W. G., Dwyer, F. J., Ingersoll, C. G., Fairchild, J. F., 1994, Use of benthic invertebrate community structure and the sediment quality triad to evaluate metal contaminated sediment in the upper clark fork river, montana, Environ. Toxicol. & Chem., 13, 1999-2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.5620131213
- Corkum, L. D., 1989, Patterns of benthic invertebrate assemblages in rivers of northwestern North America, Freshwater biol., 21, 191-205. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.1989.tb01358.x
- Hassall, C., Thompson, D. J., 2008, The effects of environmental warming on Odonata, Int. J. Odonat., 11, 131-153. https://doi.org/10.1080/13887890.2008.9748319
- Hassall, C., Thompson, D. J., French, G. C., Harvey, I. F., 2007, Historical changes in the phenology of British Odonata are related to climate, Global Change Biol., 13, 933-941. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2486.2007.01318.x
- Hilsenhoff, W. L., 1982, Using a biotic index to evaluate water quality in streams: Technical bulletin, Department of Natural Resources, Madison, Wisconsin., 22.
- Kawai, T., Tanida, K., 2005, Aquatic insects of Japan: Manual with keys and illustrations, Tokai University Press, Kanagawa, Japan, 1275.
- Keddy, P. A., 2010, Wetland ecology principles and conservation, Cambridge University Press, London, 614.
- Lee, J. C., Koo, B. Y., Yoon, C. S., Lee, D. J., Cheong, S. W., 2011, Seasonal changes on community structures of benthic macroinvertebrates in wetland Upo, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 20, 261-274. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2011.20.2.261
- Lenat, D. R., 1988, Water quality assessment of streams using a qualitative collection method for benthic macroinvertebrate, J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc., 7, 222-233. https://doi.org/10.2307/1467422
- Lepetz, V., Massot, M., Schmeller, D. S., Clobert. J., 2009, Biodiversity monitoring: Some proposals to adequately study species' responses to climate change, Biodivers. Conserv., 18, 3185-3203. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-009-9636-0
- Margalef, R., 1957, La teoria de la informacion en ecologia, Mem. Real Acad. Cienc. Artes Barcelona, 32, 373-449.
- Merritt, R. W., Cummins, K. W., 1996, An Introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, 3rd ed, Kendall/Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa, 862.
- Nahm, W, H., Kim, J. K., Yang, D. Y., Kim, J. Y., Yi, S., Yu, K. M., 2006, Holocene paleosols of the Upo wetland, Korea: Their implications for wetland formation, Quaternary Int., 144, 53-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quaint.2005.05.012
- Parmesan, C., 2007, Influences of species, latitudes and methodologies on estimates of phenological response to global warming, Global Change Biol., 13, 1860-1872. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2486.2007.01404.x
- Pennak, R. W., 1989, Fresh-water invertebrates of the United States, 3rd ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York, 628.
- Ramsar Cooperation, 2010, International cooperation: Guidelines for international cooperation under the Ramsar convention on wetlands, Ramsar handbooks of the wise use of wetlands, 4th ed., Vol. 17, 161.
- Roy, D. B., Asher, J., 2003, Spatial trends in the sighting dates of British butterflies, Int. J. Biometeorol., 47, 188-192. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00484-003-0170-6
- Shannon, C. E., 1948, A Mathematical theory of communication, The Bell System Tech. J., 27, 379-423 https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1948.tb01338.x
- Spellerberg, I. F., 1991, Monitoring ecological change, Cambridge University Press, 334.
- Valdovinos, C., Moya, C., Olmos, V., Parra, O., Karrasch, B., Buettner, O., 2007, The importance of water-level fluctuation for the conservation of shallow water benthic macroinvertebrates an example in the Andean zone of Chile, Biodivers. Conserv., 16, 3095-3109. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-007-9165-7
- Verhoeven, J. T., Arheimer, B., Yin, C., Hefting, M. M., 2006, Regional and global concerns over wetlands and water quality, Trends ecol. evol., 21, 96-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2005.11.015
- Ward, J. V., 1992, Aquatic insect ecology, John Wiley & Sons, 438.
- Wilhm, J. L., 1972, Graphic and mathematical analysis of biotic communities in polluted stream, Ann. Rev. Ent., 17, 223-252. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.en.17.010172.001255
- Williams, D. D., Feltmate, B. W., 1992, Aquatic insects, CBA International, Oxon, UK, 358.
- Yoon, I. B., 1988, Illustrated flora & fauna of Korea, Vol. 26: Aquatic insects, Min. of Education, Korea, 840.
- Yoon, I. B., AW, S. J., Kim, J. I., 1989, Study on the structures of aquatic insect communities at five wetlands in Gyungsang-Namdo, Korean Society of Environ. Biol., 7, 19-32.
- Yun, H. S., Nahm, W. H., Yang, D. Y., Hong, S. S., Kim, J. Y., Kim, J. C., Lee, J. Y., Kim, J. K., 2009, Mineralogy and geochemical characteristics of the Holocene Upo sediments in the Changnyeong area of the Gyeongnam province, J. Geol. Soc. Kor., 45, 283-298.