- Volume 41 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An Investigation of Awareness on the Fukushima Nuclear Accident and Radioactive Contamination
후쿠시마 원전사고 및 방사능 오염에 대한 인식조사
- Ha, Jeong Chul (Department of Consumer Safety, Korea Consumer Agency) ;
- Song, Youngju (Department of Consumer Safety, Korea Consumer Agency)
- Received : 2015.10.13
- Accepted : 2015.12.24
- Published : 2016.03.31
Background: The objective of this study was to investigate Korean people's awareness about impact of the Fukushima nuclear power plant accident in Japan and radioactive contamination caused by it. Materials and Methods: The respondents of the survey were 600 adults who resided in the Seoul metropolitan area. Results and discussion: The survey results show that the majority of respondents were concerned about impact of radiation leakage that might have an effect on our environment. They were worried about radioactive contamination of foodstuffs, particularly fishery products and preferred to acquire information through TV(49.8%) or the Internet(31.3%). Meanwhile, respondents mentioned that the information on the Fukushima nuclear accident and radioactive contamination had not been sufficient and they didn't know well about the follow-up measures of the government on the accident. Most respondents answered that information on radioactive contamination levels and safety of foods and environment was most needed. Conclusion: The results of this study could be useful to enhance awareness on radioactivity and improve risk communication on nuclear power plant accidents.
Grant : 농식품 이동형 방사능 측정 장비 및 신속분석법 개발
Supported by : 한국원자력연구원
- Byun MW. Fukushima nuclear power plant accident and food safety. Food Science and Industry. 2011;44(2):9-15.
- Yoon HJ. Survey of radioactive contamination in agrofishery products. National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation. Korea. 14161예방안 078. Cheoungju, Republic of Korea. 2014;5-26.
- Lee JK. Proposal for wiser control policy on radioactivity in Japanese produce and for risk communication strategy. Ministry of Food and Drug Safety, Cheoungju, Republic of Korea. 2013;8-94.
- Kckendree MG, Ortega DL, Widmar NO, Wang HH. Consumer perceptions of seafood industries in the wake of the deepwater horizon oil spill and Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. Staff paper 2013-03. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI. 2013;1-22.
- Chio TD. Radioactive contamination of food and its risk. Bulletin of Food Technology. 2012;25(1):75-81.
- Son JS. Current risk communication in Republic of Korea after the Fukushima nuclear accident and effective measures for food consumers. Korea University. MS Thesis. 2014;3-5.
- Pineda-Solano A, Carreto-Vazquez VH, Mannan MS. The Fukushima Daiichi accident and its impact on risk perception and risk communication. Chemical Engineering Transactions. 2013;31(1):517-522.
- Park JH. Food safety awareness of consumer in Korea following the Fukushima nuclear accident. Korea University. MS Thesis. 2015;1-5.
- Korea Instate for Health and Social Affairs. The effects of Japan nuclear plant accident on the health of the Korean people and countermeasures. 2011-48. Sejong, Republic of Korea. 2011;65-77.
- Hiromi H, Yuko K, Tsutomu S. Consumer awareness and attitude on radiocesium food contamination following Fukushima incident. Journal of Disaster Research. 2013;8(7):762-772. https://doi.org/10.20965/jdr.2013.p0762
- Park BJ. Analysis of Public perception on radiation: with one year after Fukushima nuclear accident. Journal of Radiation Protection. 2012;37(1):1-9. https://doi.org/10.14407/jrp.2012.37.1.001
- Kim CS, Kim DH, Kim JH. Analysis of awareness of radiation and nuclear power plants after Fukushima nuclear accident. Journal of Korea Contents Association. 2013;13(9):281-287.
- Analysis of Air Discharge and Disused Air Filters in Radioisotope Production Facility vol.27, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14316/pmp.2016.27.3.156