- Volume 29 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting the Incidence of Angel Wing in White Roman Geese: Stocking Density and Genetic Selection
- Lin, M.J. ;
- Chang, S.C. ;
- Lin, T.Y. ;
- Cheng, Y.S. ;
- Lee, Y.P. ;
- Fan, Y.K.
- Received : 2015.05.24
- Accepted : 2015.08.02
- Published : 2016.06.01
The present study investigated stocking density and genetic lines, factors that may alter the severity and incidence of angel wing (AW), in White Roman geese. Geese (n = 384) from two genetically selected lines (normal- winged line, NL, and angel-winged line, AL, respectively) and one commercial line (CL) were raised in four pens. Following common commercial practice, low-stocking-density (LD), medium-stocking-density, and high-stocking-density treatments were respectively administered to 24, 32, and 40 geese per pen at 0 to 3 weeks (
Angel Wing;Stocking Density;Genetics;White Roman Geese
- Cain, J. R., J. M. Weber, T. A. Lockamy, and C. R. Crager. 1984. Grower diets and bird density effects on growth and cannibalism in ring necked pheasants. Poult. Sci. 63:450-457. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0630450
- Chang, Y. C., C. M. Wang, P. C. Nien, C. L. Hu, and Y. S. Jea. 2010. The effects of stocking density on the growth performance of growing geese raised in a slat floor house. J. Taiwan Livest. Res. 43:51-58.
- Francis, D. W., R. H. Roberson, and L. A. Holland. 1967. Observations on "Angel wing" in White Chinese geese. Poult. Sci. 46:768-769. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0460768
- Grow, O. 1972. Slipped or twisted wing, in: modern waterfowl management and breeding guide. American Bantam Association, Three Rivers, MI, USA. pp. 171.
- Kaszynsko, J., K. Bielinska, and K. Bielinski. 1986. Effect of stocking rate on geese rearing and fattening results. Rocz. Nauk. Zoot. 13:273-281.
- Kear J. 1973. Notes on the nutrition of young waterfowl, with special reference to slipped-wing. Int. Zoo Yearb. 13:97-100. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-1090.1973.tb02112.x
- Kreeger, T. J. and M. M. Walser. 1984. Carpometacarpal deformity in giant Canada geese (Branta canadensis maxima delacour). J. Wild. Dis. 20:245-248. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-20.3.245
- Kuiken, T., F. A. Leighton, G. Wobeser, and B. Wagner. 1999. Causes of morbidity and mortality and their effect on reproductive success in double-crested cormorants from Saskatchewan. J. Wild. Dis. 35:331-346. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-35.2.331
- Lee, C. H. 2004. Investigating the Causes Affecting the Incidence of Angel Wings in Geese. Master thesis, University of Chung Hsing, Taichung, Taiwan. pp. 6-8.
- Lin, M. J., S. C. Chang, S. R. Lee, Y. S. Jea, C. F. Chen, Y. K. Fan, and Y. S. Cheng. 2010. Selection for heavy White Roman goose line. J. Chin. Soc. Anim. Sci. 39:253-260.
- Lin, M. J., S. C. Chang, Y. S. Jea, Y. S. Cheng, and Y. K. Fan. 2012. Effects of line and nutrition concentration of diet on occurrence of angel wing in White Roman geese. J. Chin. Soc. Anim. Sci. 41:187-196.
- Mildred, M. and W. D. Holderread. 1981. Slipped wing. In: The Book of Geese - A Complete Guide to Raising the Home Flock, pp. 140 Oregon, Hew House Publications, Corvallis, OR, USA.
- NRC (National Research Council). 1994. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 9th rev. edn, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Pitman, R. L., T. B. Lisa, and A. B. Charles. 2012. Incidence of wing deformities ('Angel Wing') among Masked Boobies at Clipperton Island: life history consequences and insight into etiology. Wilson J. Ornithol. 124:597-602. https://doi.org/10.1676/11-208.1
- Rath, N. C., G. R. Huff, W. E. Huff, and J. M. Balog. 2000. Factors regulating bone maturity and strength in poultry. Poult. Sci. 79:1024-1032. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.7.1024
- SAS Institute. 2004. SAS/STAT Guide for Personal Computers. Version 9.0.1. SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Sengul, T., A. Yildiz, and Y. Konca. 2000. Effect of stocking density on the growth performance and carcass characteristics in bronze Turkey. J. Poult. Res. 2:33-39.
- Shanawany, M. M. 1988. Broiler performance under high stocking densities. Br. Poult. Sci. 29:43-52. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668808417025
- Wang, S. D., K. C. Wu, T. S. Chiou, Z. T. Chen, and L. T. Yeh. 1996. The investigation of breeder geese's information in 1995. Taiwan Agric. 32:82-88.
- Effect of T-2 toxin and antioxidants on angel wing incidence and severity in White Roman geese vol.46, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2017.1301257