- Volume 29 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Influence of Wheat Straw Pelletizing and Inclusion Rate in Dry Rolled or Steam-flaked Corn-based Finishing Diets on Characteristics of Digestion for Feedlot Cattle
- Manriquez, O.M. (Veterinary School, Autonomous University of Baja California) ;
- Montano, M.F. (Veterinary School, Autonomous University of Baja California) ;
- Calderon, J.F. (Veterinary School, Autonomous University of Baja California) ;
- Valdez, J.A. (Veterinary School, Autonomous University of Baja California) ;
- Chirino, J.O. (Veterinary School, Autonomous University of Baja California) ;
- Gonzalez, V.M. (Veterinary School, Autonomous University of Baja California) ;
- Salinas-Chavira, J. (Veterinary School, Autonomous University of Tamaulipas) ;
- Mendoza, G.D. (Department of Agricultural and Animal Production, Autonomous Metropolitan University) ;
- Soto, S. (Department of Animal and Range Sciences, New Mexico State University) ;
- Zinn, R.A. (Department of Animal Science, University of California)
- Received : 2015.01.24
- Accepted : 2015.07.10
- Published : 2016.06.01
Eight Holstein steers (
Digestion;Cattle;Wheat Straw;Corn Grain;Processing
- AOAC. 1986. Official Methods of Analysis, 13th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis, 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Balch, C. C. 1958. Observations on the act of eating in cattle. Br. J. Nutr. 12:330-3345. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19580044
- Bergen, W. G., D. B. Purser, and J. H. Cline. 1968. Effect of ration on the nutritive quality of rumen microbial protein. J. Anim. Sci. 27:1497-1501. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1968.2751497x
- Berry, B. A., C. R. Krehbiel, A. W. Confer, D. R. Gill, R. A. Smith, and M. Montelongo. 2004. Effects of dietary energy and starch concentrations for newly received feedlot calves: I. Growth performance and health. J. Anim. Sci. 82:837-844. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.823837x
- Calderon-Cortes, J. F. and R. A. Zinn. 1996. Influence of dietary forage level and forage coarseness of grind on growth performance and digestive function in feedlot steers. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2310-2316. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.74102310x
- Corona, L., F. N. Owens, and R. A. Zinn. 2006. Impact of corn vitreousness and processing on site and extent of digestion by feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 84:3020-3031. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-603
- Hill, F. N. and D. L. Anderson. 1958. Comparison of metabolizable energy and productive energy determinations with growing chicks. J. Nutr. 64:587-603. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/64.4.587
- Lesoing, G., I. Rush, T. Klopfenstein, and J. Ward. 1980. Wheat straw in growing cattle diets. J. Anim. Sci. 51:257-262. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1980.512257x
- Mertens, D. R. and L. O. Ely. 1979. A dynamic model of fiber digestion and passage in the ruminant for evaluating forage quality. J. Anim. Sci. 49:1085-1095. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1979.4941085x
- Mertens, D. R. 1997. Creating a system for meeting the fiber requirements of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 80:1463-1481. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76075-2
- NRC. 2000. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle, 7th Rev. Ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Orskov, E. R., N. A. MacLeod, and D. J. Kyle. 1986. Flow of nitrogen from the rumen and abomasum in cattle and sheep given protein free nutrients by intragastric infusion. Br. J. Nutr. 56:241-248. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19860103
- Owens, F. N., R. A. Zinn, and Y. K. Kim. 1986. Limits to starch digestion in the ruminant small intestine. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1634-1648. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.6351634x
- Prigge, E. C., M. L. Galyean, F. N. Owens, D. G. Wagner, and R. R. Johnson. 1978. Microbial protein synthesis in steers fed processed corn rations. J. Anim. Sci. 46:249-254. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.461249x
- Salinas-Chavira, J., E. Alvarez, M. F. Montano, and R. A. Zinn. 2013. Influence of forage NDF level, source and pelletizing on growth performance, dietary energetics, and characteristics of digestive function for feedlot cattle. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 183:106-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2013.05.004
- SAS. 2007. User's Guide: Statistics Version 9, 6th edn. SAS Inst., Inc, Cary, NC, USA.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74: 3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Vasconcelos, J. T. and M. L. Galyean. 2007. Nutritional recommendations of feedlot consulting nutritionists: The 2007 Texas Tech University survey. J. Anim. Sci. 85:2772-2781. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0261
- Ware, R. A. and R. A. Zinn. 2005. Effect of pelletizing on the feeding value of rice straw in steam-flaked corn growingfinishing diets for feedlot cattle. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 123- 124:631-642.
- Wolin, M. J. 1960. A theoretical rumen fermentation balance. J. Dairy Sci. 43:1452-1459. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(60)90348-9
- Woodford, J. A., N. A. Jorgensen, and G. P. Barrington. 1986. Impact of dietary fiber and physical form on performance of lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 69:1035-1047. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80499-4
- Zinn, R. A. 1986. Influence of forage level on response of feedlot steers to salinomycin supplementation. J. Anim. Sci. 63:2005-2012. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.6362005x
- Zinn, R. A. and F. N. Owens. 1986. A rapid procedure for purine measurement and its use for estimating net ruminal protein synthesis. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 66:157‐166. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas86-017
- Zinn, R. A. 1990. Influence of flake density on the comparative feeding value of steam-flaked corn for feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 68:767-775. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.683767x
- Zinn, R. A., A. Plascencia, and R. Barajas. 1994. Interaction of forage level and monensin in diets for feedlot cattle on growth performance and digestive function. J. Anim. Sci. 72:2209‐ 2215.
- Zinn, R. A., C. F. Adams, and M. S. Tamayo. 1995. Interaction of feed intake level on comparative ruminal and total tract digestion of dry-rolled and steam-flaked corn. J. Anim. Sci. 73:1239-1245. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.7351239x
- Zinn, R. A., E. G. Alvarez, M. F. Montaño, A. Plascencia, and J. E. Ramirez. 1998. Influence of tempering on the feeding value of rolled corn in finishing diets for feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2239-2246. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7692239x
- Zinn, R. A., F. N. Owens, and R. A. Ware. 2002. Flaking corn: Processing mechanics, quality standards, and impacts on energy availability and performance of feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1145-1156. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8051145x
- Effect of energy density and virginiamycin supplementation in diets on growth performance and digestive function of finishing steers vol.30, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0826