- Volume 29 Issue 5
A total of 152 pig farms were randomly selected from the five provinces in South Korea. During the experiment, the average temperature and relative humidity was
Floor Space Allowance;Pig Productivity;Performance;Field-scale Analysis
- Gentry, J. G., J. J. McGlone, J. R. Blanton, Jr., and M. F. Miller. 2002. Impact of spontaneous exercise on performance, meat quality, and muscle fiber characteristics of growing/finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2833-2839. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.80112833x
- Gonyou, H. W. and W. R. Stricklin. 1998. Effects of floor area allowance and group size on the productivity of growing/finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1326-1330. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7651326x
- Gonyou, H. W., M. C. Brumm, E. Bush, J. Deen, S. A. Edwards, T. Fangman, J. J. McGlone, M. Meunier-Salaun, R. B. Morrison, H. Spoolder, P. L. Sundberg, and A. K. Johnson. 2006. Application of broken-line analysis to assess floor space requirements of nursery and grower-finisher pigs expressed on an allometric basis. J. Anim. Sci. 84:229-235. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.841229x
- Hyun, Y., M. Ellis, and R. W. Johnson. 1998. Effects of feeder type, space allowance, and mixing on the growth performance and feed intake pattern of growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2771-2778. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.76112771x
- Jenen, T., C. Kold Nielsen, J. Vinther, and R. B. D'Eath. 2012. The effect of space allowance for finishing pigs on productivity and pen hygiene. Livest. Sci. 149:33-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.06.018
- MIFAFF. 2005. Statistics. The Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Gwacheon, Republic of Korea
- Morrison, R. S., L. J. Johnston, and A. M. Hilbrands. 2007. The behaviour, welfare, growth performance and meat quality of pigs housed in a deep-litter, large group housing system compared to a conventional confinement system. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 103:12-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2006.04.002
- Powell, T. A. and M. C. Brumm. 1992. Economics of space allocation for grower-finisher hogs. J. Farm Mngs. Rural Appr. 56:67-72.
- Suwanasopee, T., J. W. Mabry, S. Koonawootrittriron, P. Sopannarath, and S. Tumwasorn. 2005. Estimated genetic parameters of non-productive sow days related to litter size in swine raised in Thailand. Thai J. Agric. Sci. 38:87-93.
- Salak-Johnson, J. L., S. R. Niekamp, S. L. Rodriguez-Zas, M. Ellis, and S. E. Curtis. 2007. Space allowance for dry, pregnant sows in pens: Body condition, skin lesions, and performance. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1758-1769. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-510
- Shaw, D. W. 2005. Minimizing non-productive sow days. The Ohio State University Extension. Veterinary Medicine Newsletter. Vol. 23. http://pervmed.vet.ohiostate.edu/extnewsa/env23_12.htm Accessed January 7, 2005.
- Street, B. R. and H. W. Gonyou. 2008. Effects of housing finishing pigs in two group sizes and at two floor space allocations on production, health, behavior, and physiological variables. J. Anim. Sci. 86:982-991. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0449
- The Council of the European Union. 2001. The Council of The European Union. Council Directive 2001/88/EC of 23 October 2001 amending Directive 91/630/EEC laying down minimum standards for the protection of pigs. http://eurlex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32001L0088&from=EN Accessed August 17, 2014.
- Turner, S. P., M. Ewen, J. A. Rooke, and S. A. Edwards. 2000. The effect of space allowance on performance, aggression and immune competence of growing pigs housed on straw deeplitter at different group sizes. Livest. Prod. Sci. 66:47-55 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00159-7
- Weng, R. C., S. A. Edwards, and P. R. English. 1998. Behaviour, social interactions and lesion scores of group-housed sows in relation to floor space allowance. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 59:307-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(97)00143-3
- Young, M. G., M. D. Tokach, F. X. Aherne, S. S. Dritz, R. D. Goodband, J. L. Nelssen, and T. M. Loughin. 2008. Effect of space allowance during rearing and selection criteria on performance of gilts over three parities in a commercial swine production system. J. Anim. Sci. 86:3181-3193. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0600
Supported by : Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (IPET), Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), Korea Environmental Industry & Technology Institute (KEITI)