- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Direct-fed Microbial and Pine Cone Extract on Carcass Traits and Meat Quality of Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle)
- Muhlisin, Muhlisin (Animal Products and Food Science Program, Division of Animal Applied Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Song, Chang Soo (Gapyeong Agriculture Technology Center) ;
- Rhee, Yong Joon (YJ Co., Ltd.) ;
- Song, Young Han (Animal Science Program, Division of Animal Resource Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Sung Ki (Animal Products and Food Science Program, Division of Animal Applied Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2015.04.06
- Accepted : 2015.12.15
- Published : 2016.05.01
The carcass traits and meat quality of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) whose diets were supplemented with direct-fed microbial (DFM) and pine cone extract (PCE) were evaluated. Twenty head of Hanwoo steers were divided equally into four groups and for a period of 6 months were given different diets: One group was fed a basal diet as control (CON), the other three groups were fed a basal diet supplemented with DFM-1%, DFM+PCE-1% and DFM+PEC-3%, respectively. DFM+PCE3% diet resulted the lowest carcass quality grade. The loins of DFM-1% contained higher moisture and lower fat than did the loins from the CON group. The crude protein content of DFM+PCE-3% group was significantly higher than that of the other groups. The water holding capacity and Warner-Bratzler shear force of the DFM+PCE-1% and 3% groups were lower than those of the CON and DFM-1% groups. The DFM-1% and 3% groups contained lower saturated fatty acid, higher unsaturated fatty acid, mono-unsaturated fatty acid, and poly-unsaturated fatty acid than did CON and DFM+PCE 1% group. Moreover, the n6:n3 ratios of DFM-1% and DFM+PCE-1% and 3% groups were slightly lower than that of the CON group. Thus we concluded that DFM and PCE supplementation resulted healthier Hanwoo beef with lower fat content and n6:n3 ratio.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration Korea
- AOAC. 2007. Official Methods of Analysis. 18th ed, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Apple, J. K. 2007. Effects of nutritional modifications on the waterholding capacity of fresh pork: A review. J. Breed. Genet. 124:43-58. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2007.00686.x
- Ba, H. V., K. M. Park, D. Dashmaa, and I. Hwang. 2014. Effect of muscle type and vacuum chiller ageing period on the chemical compositions, meat quality, sensory attributes and volatile compounds of Korean native cattle beef. Anim. Sci. J. 85:164-173. https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12100
- Berge, P., J. Culioli, M. Renerre, C. Touraille, D. Micol, and Y. Geay. 1993. Effect of feed protein on carcass composition and meat quality in steers. Meat Sci. 35:79-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(93)90071-O
- Choi, D. S., H. O. Jin, C. H. Lee, Y. C. Kim, and M. Kayama. 2005. Effect of Soil acidification on the growth of Korean Pine (Pinus koraiensis) seedling in a granite-derived forest soil. Environ. Sci. 12:33-47.
- Costa, A. S. H., P. Costa, R. J. B. Bessa, J. P. C. Lemos, J. A. Simoes, J. Santos-Silva, C. M. G. A. Fontes, and J. A. M. Prates. 2013. Carcass fat partitioning and meat quality of Alentejana and Barrosa young bulls fed high or low maize silage diets. Meat Sci. 93:405-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.10.010
- Folch, J., M. Lees, and G. H. Sloan-Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Grau, R. and R. A. Hamm. 1953. A simple method for the determination of water binding in muscles. Naturwissenschaften 40:29-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00595734
- Hwang, Y. H., G. D. Kim, J. Y. Jeong, S. J. Hur, and S. T. Joo. 2010. The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and meat quality traits of highly marbled Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) steers. Meat Sci. 86:456-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.034
- KAPE. 2010. Korean Beef Carcass Grading Standard. Korean Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation, Gunpo. http://www.ekape.or.kr/view/eng/system/beef.asp. Accessed September 1, 2015.
- Kim, C. J. and E. S. Lee. 2003. Effects of quality grade on the chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) beef. Meat Sci. 63:397-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00099-2
- Krehbiel, C. R., S. R. Rust, G. Zhang, and S. E. Gilliland. 2003. Bacterial direct-fed microbials in ruminant diets: Performance response and mode of action. J. Anim. Sci. 81:120-132.
- Liu, Y., T. M. Che, M. Song, J. J. Lee, J. A. S. Almeida, D. Bravo, W. G. Van-Alstine, and J. E. Pettigrew. 2013. Dietary plant extracts improve immune responses and growth efficiency of pigs experimentally infected with porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus. J. Anim. Sci. 91:5668-5679. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6495
- Marino, R., M. Albenzio, M. Caroprese, F. Napolitano, A. Santillo, and A. Braghieri. 2011. Effect of grazing and dietary protein on eating quality of Podolian beef. J. Anim. Sci. 89:3752-3758. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3699
- Musso, G., R. Gambino, and M. Cassader. 2010. Gut microbiota as a regulator of energy homeostasis and ectopic fat deposition:Mechanisms and implications for metabolic disorders. Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 21:76-83. https://doi.org/10.1097/MOL.0b013e3283347ebb
- Panjono, S. M. Kang, I. S. Lee, and S. K. Lee. 2011. The quality characteristics of M. longissimus from Hanwoo (Korean cattle) steer with different raising altitudes and slaughter seasons. Livest. Sci. 136:240-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.09.015
- Sakagami, H., Y. Kawazoe, N. Komatsu, A. Simpson, M. Nonoyama, K. Konno, T. Yoshida, Y. Kuroiwa, and S. Tanuma. 1991. Antitumor, antiviral and immunopotentiating activities of pine cone extracts: Potential medicinal efficacy of natural and synthetic lignin-related materials (review). Anticancer Res. 11:881-888.
- Sammel, L. M., M. C. Hunt, D. H. Kropf, K. A. Hachmeister, and D. E. Johnson. 2002. Comparison of assays for metmyoglobin reducing ability in beef inside and outside semimembranosus muscle. J. Food Sci. 67:978-984. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb09439.x
- Scharek-Tedin, L., R. Pieper, W. Vahjen, K. Tedin, K. Neumann, and J. Zentek. 2013. Bacillus cereus var. Toyoi modulates the immune reaction and reduces the occurrence of diarrhea in piglets challenged with Salmonella Typhimurium DT104. J. Anim. Sci. 91:5696-5704. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6382
- Scollan, N., J. F. Hocquette, K. Nuernberg, D. Dannenberger, I. Richardson, and A. Moloney. 2006. Innovations in beef production systems that enhance the nutritional and health value of beef lipids and their relationship with meat quality. Meat Sci. 74:17-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.05.002
- Seo, J. K., S. Kim, M. H. Kim, S. D. Upadhaya, D. K. Kam, and J. K. Ha. 2010. Direct-fed microbials for ruminant animals. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 23:1657-1667. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.r.08
- Sinnhuber, R. O. and T. C. Yu. 1977. The 2-thiobarbituric acid reaction, an objective measure of the oxidative deterioration occurring in fats and oil. J. Japanies Soc. Fish Sci. 26:259-267.
- SPSS. 2010. Statistical Package for Social Sciences for Windows (version 19.0). SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- Vyas, D., E. J. McGeough, S. M. McGinn, T. A. McAllister, and K. A. Beauchemin. 2014. Effect of Propionibacterium spp. on ruminal fermentation, nutrient digestibility, and methane emissions in beef heifers fed a high-forage diet. J. Anim. Sci. 92:2192-2201. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-7492
- Ware, D. R., P. L. Read, and E. T. Manfredi. 1988. Pooled summary of eight feedlot trials evaluating performance and carcass characteristics of steers fed Lactobacillus acidophilus strain BT138. J. Anim. Sci. 66 (Suppl. 1):436.
- Weese, J. S., S. Sharif, and A. Rodiguez-Palacios. 2008. Probiotics in veterinary medicine. In: Therapeutic Microbiology:Probiotics and Related Strategies (Eds. J. Versalovic and M. Wilson). ASM Press, Washington DC, USA. pp. 341-356.
- Wood, J. D., M. Enser, A. V. Fisher, G. R. Nute, P. R. Sheard, R. I. Richardson, S. I. Hughes, and F. M. Whittington. 2008. Fat deposition, fatty acid composition and meat quality: A review. Meat Sci. 78:343-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.07.019
- Xu, R. B., X. Yang, J. Wang, H. T. Zhao, W. H. Lu, J. Cui, C. L. Cheng, P. Zou, W. W. Huang, P. Wang, W. J. Li, and X. L. Hu. 2012. Chemical composition and antioxidant activities of three polysaccharide fractions from pine cones. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 13:14262-14277. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms131114262
- Zerby, H. N., J. L. Bard, S. C. Loerch, P. S. Kuber, A. E. Radunz, and F. L. Fluharty. 2011. Effects of diet and Aspergillus oryzae extract or Saccharomyces cervisiae on growth and carcass characteristics of lambs and steers fed to meet requirements of natural markets. J. Anim. Sci. 89:2257-2264. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3308
- Increased Inhibition of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) Obtained from Indonesian Buffalo Meat Protein Using SEP-PAK Plus C18 vol.17, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2018.434.440