- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of L- or DL-methionine Supplementation on Nitrogen Retention, Serum Amino Acid Concentrations and Blood Metabolites Profile in Starter Pigs
- Tian, Q.Y. ;
- Zeng, Z.K. ;
- Zhang, Y.X. ;
- Long, S.F. ;
- Piao, X.S.
- Received : 2015.09.03
- Accepted : 2016.01.16
- Published : 2016.05.01
The objective of the current study was to evaluate the effect of supplementation of either L-methionine (L-Met) or DL-methionine (DL-Met) to diets of starter pigs on nitrogen (N) balance, metabolism, and serum amino acid profile. Eighteen crossbred (
Amino Acids Profile;Methionine;Pigs;Nitrogen Balance
- AOAC. 2007. Official Methods of Analysis. 18th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington VA, USA.
- Ball, R. O., G. Courtney-Martin, and P. B. Pencharz. 2006. The in vivo sparing of methionine by cysteine in sulfur amino acid requirements in animal models and adult humans. J. Nutr. 136:1682S-1693S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/136.6.1682S
- Brown, J. A. and T. R. Cline. 1974. Urea excretion in the pig: an indicator of protein quality and amino acid requirements. J. Nutr. 104:542-545. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/104.5.542
- Chen, Y., D. Li, Z. Dai, X. Piao, Z. Wu, B. Wang, Y. Zhu, and Z. Zeng. 2014. L-Methionine supplementation maintains the integrity and barrier function of the small-intestinal mucosa in post-weaning piglets. Amino Acids 46:1131-1142. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-014-1675-5
- Cho, E. S., D. W. Andersen, L. J. Filer, and L. D. Stegink. 1980. D-methionine utilization in young miniature pigs, adult rabbits, and adult dogs. J. Parenter. Enteral. Nutr. 4:544-547. https://doi.org/10.1177/0148607180004006544
- Christensen, A. C., J. O. Anderson, and D. C. Dobson, 1980. Factors affecting efficacy of methionine hydroxy analogue for chicks fed amino acid diets. Poult. Sci. 59:2480-2484. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0592480
- Chung, T. K. and D. H. Baker. 1992. Utilization of methionine isomers and analogs by the pig. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 72:185-188. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas92-024
- Coma, J., D. Carrion, and D. R. Zimmerman. 1995. Use of plasma urea nitrogen as a rapid response criterion to determine the lysine requirement of pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 73:472-481. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.732472x
- Cromwell, G. L. 2004. Identifying the limiting amino acids in complex and cereal grain-based diets to minimize nitrogen excretion. In Midwest Swine Nutr. Conf. Proc. Indianapolis, IN, USA. The Ohio Univ. Press, Columbus, OH, USA. pp. 69-83.
- Dibner, J. J. and F. J. Ivey. 1992. Capacity in the liver of the broiler chick for conversion of supplemental methionine activity to L-methionine. Poult. Sci. 71:700-708. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0710700
- Dilger, R. N. and D. H. Baker. 2007. DL-Methionine is as efficacious as L-methionine, but modest L-cystine excesses are anorexigenic in sulfur amino acid-deficient purified and practical-type diets fed to chicks. Poult. Sci. 86:2367-2374. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00203
- Fang, Z., H. Luo, H. Wei, F. Huang, Z. Qi, S. Jiang, and J. Peng. 2010. Methionine metabolism in piglets fed DL-methionine or its hydroxy analogue was affected by distribution of enzymes oxidizing these sources to keto-methionine. J. Agric. Food Chem. 58:2008-2014. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf903317x
- Finkelstein, J. D. 1990. Methionine metabolism in mammals. J. Nutr. Biochem. 1:228-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2863(90)90070-2
- Gomes, J. and D. Kumar. 2005. Production of L-methionine by submerged fermentation: A review. Enzyme Microb. Tech. 37:3-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enzmictec.2005.02.008
- Garlich, J. D. 1985. Response of broilers to DL-methionine hydroxy analog free acid, DL-methionine, and L-methionine. Poult. Sci. 64:1541-1548. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0641541
- Ikeda, M. 2003. Amino acid production processes. In: Microbial Production of L-amino Acids. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Germany. pp. 1-35.
- Katz, R. S. and D. H. Baker. 1975. Efficacy of D-, L- and DLmethionine for growth of chicks fed crystalline amino acid diets. Poult. Sci. 54:1667-1674. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0541667
- Kim, K. I. and H. S. Bayley. 1983. Amino acid oxidation by young pigs receiving diets with varying levels of sulphur amino acids. Br. J. Nutr. 50:383-390. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19830105
- Kim, S. Y., K. M. Cho, Y. U. Shin, H. W. Um, K. O. Choi, J. S. Chang, Y. W. Cho, and Y. H. Park. 2015. Microorganism producing L-methionine precursor and method of producing Lmethionine and organic acid from the L-methionine precursor. US Patent 9029105.
- Kumar, D. and J. Gomes. 2005. Methionine production by fermentation. Biotechnol. Adv. 23:41-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2004.08.005
- Mannsfeld, S. P., A. Pfeiffer, H. Tanner, H. Wagner, and E. Liebertanz. 1978. Continuous process for the manufacture of methionine. US Patent 04069251.
- Martin-Venegas, R., P. A. Geraert, and R. Ferrer. 2006. Conversion of the methionine hydroxy analogue DL-2-hydroxy-(4-methylthio) butanoic acid to sulfur-containing amino acids in the chicken small intestine. Poult. Sci. 85:1932-1938. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.11.1932
- Metayer, S., I. Seiliez, A. Collin, S. Duchene, Y. Mercier, P. A. Geraert, and S. Tesseraud. 2008. Mechanisms through which sulfur amino acids control protein metabolism and oxidative status. J. Nutr. Biochem. 19:207-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2007.05.006
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 10th edition. National Academic Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Odunfa, S. A., S. A. Adeniran, O. D. Teniola, and J. Nordstrom. 2001. Evaluation of lysine and methionine production in some lactobacilli and yeasts from Ogi. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 63:159-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(00)00320-2
- Riedijk, M. A., B. Stoll, S. Chacko, H. Schierbeek, A. L. Sunehag, J. B. van Goudoever, and D. G. Burrin. 2007. Methionine transmethylation and transsulfuration in the piglet gastrointestinal tract. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 104:3408-3413. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0607965104
- Shen, Y. B., A. C. Weaver, and S. W. Kim. 2014. Effect of feed grade L-methionine on growth performance and gut health in nursery pigs compared with conventional DL-methionine. J. Anim. Sci. 92:5530-5539. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7830
- Shoveller, A. K., J. A. Brunton, J. D. House, P. B. Pencharz, and R. O. Ball. 2003. Dietary cysteine reduces the methionine requirement by an equal proportion in both parenterally and enterally fed piglets. J. Nutr. 133:4215-4224. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/133.12.4215
- Shoveller, A. K., B. Stoll, R. O. Ball, and D. G. Burrin. 2005. Nutritional and functional importance of intestinal sulfur amino acid metabolism. J. Nutr. 135:1609-1612. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/135.7.1609
- Stoll, B., J. Henry, P. J. Reeds, H. Yu, F. Jahoor, and D. G. Burrin. 1998. Catabolism dominates the first-pass intestinal metabolism of dietary essential amino acids in milk protein-fed piglets. J. Nutr. 128:606-614. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.3.606
- Tipton, H. C., B. C. Dilworth, and E. J. Day. 1966. A comparison of D-, L-, DL-methionine and methionine hydroxy analogue calcium in chick diets. Poult. Sci. 45:381-387. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0450381
- Zhang, S., S. Qiao, M. Ren, X. Zeng, X. Ma, Z. Wu, P. Thacker, and G. Wu. 2013. Supplementation with branched-chain amino acids to a low-protein diet regulates intestinal expression of amino acid and peptide transporters in weanling pigs. Amino Acids 45:1191-1205. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-013-1577-y
- Effects of L-methionine on performance, gut morphology and antioxidant status in gut and liver of piglets in relation to DL-methionine pp.09312439, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.13000
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China