- Volume 22 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Loads and motions for a spar-supported floating offshore wind turbine
- Sultania, Abhinav (Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, University of Texas at Austin) ;
- Manuel, Lance (Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, University of Texas at Austin)
- Received : 2015.10.12
- Accepted : 2016.03.15
- Published : 2016.05.25
An offshore wind turbine supported by a spar buoy floating platform is the subject of this study on tower and rotor extreme loads. The platform, with a 120-meter draft and assumed to be sited in 320 meters of water, supports a 5 MW wind turbine. A baseline model for this turbine developed at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is employed in stochastic response simulations. The support platform, along with the mooring system consisting of three catenary lines, chosen for loads modeling, is based on the "Hywind" floating wind turbine concept. Our interest lies in gaining an understanding of the dynamic coupling between the support platform motion and the turbine loads. We first investigate short-term response statistics using stochastic simulation for a range of different environmental wind and wave conditions. From this study, we identify a few "controlling" environmental conditions for which long-term turbine load statistics and probability distributions are established.
Supported by : National Science Foundation,Sandia National Laboratories
- Agarwal, P. and Manuel, L. (2008), "The Influence of the Joint Wind-Wave Environment on Offshore Wind Turbine Support Structure Loads", J. Solar Energy Engineering including Wind Energy and Building Energy Conservation, Transactions of the ASME, 130(1), 031010, 11.
- Agarwal, P., and Manuel, L. (2009), "Simulation of offshore wind turbine response for ultimate limit states", Eng. Struct., 31(10), 2236-2246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.04.002
- Browning, J.R., Jonkman, J., Robertson, A. and Goupee, A.J. (2011), Calibration and Validation of a Spar-Type Floating Offshore Wind Turbine Model using the FAST Dynamic Simulation Tool, The Science of Making Torque from Wind, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 555, IOP Publishing.
- Chen, X. and Yu, Q. (2013), "Design requirements for floating offshore wind turbines", Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, OMAE2013-11365, Nantes, France.
- Det Norske Veritas. (2007), Design of Offshore Wind Turbine Structures, Offshore Standard DNV-OS-J101.
- International Electrotechnical Commission. (2009), Wind Turbines-Part 3: Design Requirements for Offshore Wind Turbines, IEC 61400-3, Ed. 1.
- Jonkman, B.J., and Buhl Jr., M.L. (2007), TurbSim User's Guide. Tech. Rep. NREL/TP-500-41136, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO.
- Jonkman, J.M. (2007), Dynamics Modeling and Loads Analysis of an Offshore Floating Wind Turbine. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Jonkman, J.M., and Buhl Jr., M.L. (2005), FAST User's Guide. Tech. Rep. NREL/EL-500-38230, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO.
- Jonkman, J.M., Butterfield, S., Musial, W. and Scott, G. (2009), Definition of a 5-MW Reference Wind Turbine for Offshore System Development. Tech. Rep. NREL/TP-500-38060, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO.
- Karimirad, M. (2011), Stochastic Dynamic Response Analysis of Spar-Type Wind Turbines with Catenary or Taut Mooring Systems, Doctoral Thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Karimirad, M. and Moan, T. (2011), "Extreme dynamic structural response analysis of catenary moored spar wind turbine in harsh environmental conditions", J. Offshore Mech. Arct. Eng.-ASME, 133(4), 041103. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4003393
- Karimirad, M. and Moan, T. (2012). "Wave-and wind-induced dynamic response of a spar-type offshore wind turbine", J. Waterw. Port. Coastal. Ocean Eng., 138(1).
- Sclavounos, P., Jonkman, J.M., Butterfield, S. and Musial, W. (2007), Engineering Challenges for Floating Offshore Wind Turbines, Tech. Rep. NREL/ CP-500-38776, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO.
- Shin, H. (2011), "Model Test of the OC3-Hywind Floating Offshore Wind Turbine", Proceedings of the 21th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Maui, Hawaii, USA.
- Reliability analysis for a spar-supported floating offshore wind turbine vol.42, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0309524X17723206