- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis of concrete shrinkage along truss bridge with steel-concrete composite deck
- Siekierski, Wojciech (Institute of Civil Engineering, Poznan University of Technology)
- Received : 2015.07.29
- Accepted : 2016.02.15
- Published : 2016.04.30
The paper concerns analysis of effects of shrinkage of slab concrete in a steel-concrete composite deck of a through truss bridge span. Attention is paid to the shrinkage alongside the span, i.e., transverse to steel-concrete composite cross-beams. So far this aspect has not been given much attention in spite of the fact that it affects not only steel-concrete decks of bridges but also steel-concrete floors of steel frame building structures. For the problem analysis a two-dimensional model is created. An analytical method is presented in detail. A set of linear equations is built to compute axial forces in members of truss girder flange and transverse shear forces in steel-concrete composite beams. Finally a case study is shown: test loading of twin railway truss bridge spans is described, verified FEM model of the spans is presented and computational results of FEM and the analytical method are compared. Conclusions concerning applicability of the presented analytical method to practical design are drawn. The presented analytical method provides satisfactory accuracy of results in comparison with the verified FEM model.
- Autodesk Robot (2013), http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13093279
- Al-Deen, S., Ranzi, G. and Vrcelj, Z. (2011a), "Full-scale long-term experiments of simply supported composite beams with solid slabs", J. Construct. Steel Res., 67(3), 308-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.11.001
- Al-Deen, S., Ranzi, G. and Vrcelj, Z. (2011b), "Shrinkage effects on flexural stiffness of composite beams with solid concrete slabs: An experimental study", Eng. Struct., 33(4), 1302-1315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.01.007
- Bradford, M.A. and Gilbert, R.I. (1989), "Non-linear behaviour of composite beams at service loads", Struct. Eng., 67(14), 263-268.
- Chaudhary, S., Pendharkar, U. and Nagpal, A.K. (2009), "Control of creep and shrinkage effects in steel concrete composite bridges with precast decks", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 14(5), 336-345. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2009)14:5(336)
- Fan, J., Nie, X., Li, Q. and Li, Q. (2010a), "Long-term behavior of composite beams under positive and negative bending. I: experimental study", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 136(7), 849-857. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000175
- Fan, J., Nie, X., Li, Q. and Li, Q. (2010b), "Long-term behavior of composite beams under positive and negative bending. II: Analytical study", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 136(7), 858-865. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000176
- Fragiacomo, M., Amadio, C. and Macorini, L. (2004), "Finite-element model for collapse and long-term analysis of steel-concrete composite beams", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 130(3), 489-497. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:3(489)
- Gara, F., Ranzi, G. and Leoni, G. (2006), "Time analysis of composite beams with partial interaction using available modelling techniques: A comparative study", J. Construct. Steel Res., 62(9), 917-930. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.11.024
- Gilbert, R.I. and Bradford, M.A. (1995), "Time-dependent behaviour of continuous composite beams at service loads", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 121(2), 319-327. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:2(319)
- Johnson, R.P. (1987), "Shrinkage-induced curvature in composite beams with a cracked concrete flange", Struct. Eng., 65(4), 72-77.
- Jurkiewiez, B., Buzon, S. and Sieffert, J.G. (2005), "Incremental viscoelastic analysis of composite beams with partial interaction", Comput. Struct., 83(21-22), 1780-1791. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2005.02.021
- Kianoush, M.R., Acarcan, M. and Ziari, A. (2008), "Behavior of base restrained reinforced concrete walls under volumetric change", Eng. Struct., 30(6), 1526-1534. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.10.009
- Kwak, H.G. and Seo, Y.L. (2002), "Time-dependent behaviour of composite beams with flexible connectors", Comput. Method. Appl. Mech. Eng., 191(34), 3751-3772. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7825(02)00293-1
- Ma, B.G. and Gao, Y.L. (2006), "Finite element analysis for shrinkage in the interface of functionally graded concrete segment used shield tunnelling", J. Wuhan Univ. Technol. (Materials Science Edition), S1, 98-102.
- Montgomery, C.J., Kulak, G.L. and Shwartsburd, G. (1983), "Deflections of a composite floor system", Can. J. Civil Eng., 10(2), 192-204. https://doi.org/10.1139/l83-035
- Palkowski, S. (2001), Konstrukcje stalowe. Wybrane zagadnienia obliczania i projektowania; Steel Structures, Some Aspects of Computation and Design; PWN, Warszawa, Poland.
- Ranzi, G. (2006), "Short-and long-term analyses of composite beams with partial shear interaction stiffened by a longitudinal plate", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 6(3), 237-255. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2006.6.3.237
- Ranzi, G. and Bradford, M.A. (2006), "Analytical solutions for the time dependent behaviour of composite beams with partial interaction", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 43(13), 3770-3793. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2005.03.032
- Ranzi, G., Leoni, G. and Zandonini, R. (2013), "State of the art on the time-dependent behaviour of composite steel-concrete structures", J. Construct. Steel Res., 80, 252-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.08.005
- Roll, F. (1971), "Effects of differential shrinkage and creep on a composite steel-concrete structure", ACI Special Publication, 27(8), 263-268.
- Sakr, M.A. and Sakla, S.S.S. (2008), "Long-term deflection of cracked composite beams with nonlinear partial shear interaction: I-Finite element modelling", J. Construct. Steel Res., 64(12), 1446-1455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.01.003
- Tanabe, T., Sakata, K., Mihashi, H., Sato, R., Maekawa, K. and Nakamura, H. (2009), Creep, Shrinkage and Durability Mechanics of Concrete and Concrete Structures, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Virtuoso, F. and Vieira, R. (2004), "Time dependent behaviour of continuous composite beams with flexible connection", J. Construct. Steel Res., 60(3-5), 451-463. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(03)00123-8
- Zuk, W. (1961), "Thermal and shrinkage stresses in composite beams", Journal Proceedings, 58(9), 327-340.