- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Cyclic and static behaviors of CFT modular bridge pier with enhanced bracings
- Kim, Dongwook (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung Ang University) ;
- Jeon, Chiho (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung Ang University) ;
- Shim, Changsu (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung Ang University)
- Received : 2015.11.11
- Accepted : 2016.02.11
- Published : 2016.04.30
Modular structures consist of standardized modules and their connections. A modular bridge pier is proposed to accelerate bridge construction. Multiple concrete-filled steel tubes (CFTs) using commercial steel tubes were chosen as the main members. Buckling restrained bracings and enhanced connection details were designed to prevent premature low-cycle fatigue failure upon cyclic loading. The pier had a height of 7.95 m, widths of 2.5 m and 2.0 m along the strong and weak axis, respectively. Cyclic tests were performed on the modular pier to investigate structural performance. Test results showed that four CFT columns reached yielding without a premature failure of the bracing connections. The ultimate capacity of the modular pier was reasonably estimated based on the plastic-hinge-analysis concept. The modular CFT pier with enhanced bracing showed improved displacement ductility without premature failure at the welding joints.
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Transportation and Maritime Affairs(MLTM)
- AASHTO (2010), LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, (3rd Ed.), American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Washington, D.C., USA
- ACI Committee 318 (2014), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI318-11) and Commentary, American Concrete Institute.
- ACI Committee 408 (2001), Splice and Development Length of High Relative Rib Area Reinforcing Bars in Tension (408.3-01) and Commentary (408.3R-01), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- AISC (2005), Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, ANSI/AISC 360-05, American Institute of Steel Construction, Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (2010), AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specification, (5th Edition).
- Chou, C.C. and Chen, Y.C. (2006), "Cyclic tests of post-tensioned precast CFT segmental bridge columns with unbounded strands", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(2), 159-175. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.512
- D'Aniello, M. (2007), "Steel dissipative bracing systems for seismic retrofitting of existing structures: Theory and testing", Ph.D. Thesis; University of Naples "Federico", Naples, Italy.
- Elgawady, M.A. and Dawood, H.M. (2012), "Analysis of segmental piers consisted of concrete filled FRP tubes", Eng. Struct., 38, 142-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.01.001
- Ellobody, E., Young, B. and Lam, D. (2006), "Behaviour of normal and high strength concrete-filled compact steel tube circular stub columns", J. Construct. Steel Res., 62(7), 706-715. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.11.002
- Eurocode 4 (2004), Design of Composite Steel and Concrete Structures-Part 1-1: General Rules and Rules for Buildings, EN1994-1, Brussels, Belgium.
- FMI Corporation (2013), Prefabrication and Modularization in Construction.
- Gu, Q., Zona, A., Peng, Y. and Dall'Asta, A. (2014), "Effect of buckling-restrained brace model parameters on seismic structural response", J. Construct. Steel Res., 98, 100-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.02.009
- Hassan, M.M., Ramadan, H.M., Abdel-Mooty, M.N. and Mourad, S.A. (2014), "Behavior of concentrically loaded CFT braces connections", J. Adv. Res., 5(2), 243-252. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2013.03.005
- Hu, H.T., Su, F.C. and Elchalakani, M. (2010), "Finite element analysis of CFT columns subjected to pure bending moment", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 10(5), 415-428. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2010.10.5.415
- Kim, J. and Choi, H. (2003), "Behavior and design of structures with buckling-restrained braces", Eng. Struct., 26(6), 693-706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.09.010
- Ma, H.W., Oh, H.C., Kim, D.W., Kong, D. and Shim, C.S. (2012), "Evaluation of Flexural Behavior of a Modular Pier with Circular CFT", J. Korean Soc. Steel Construct., 24(6), 725-734. [In Korean] https://doi.org/10.7781/kjoss.2012.24.6.725
- MagarPatil, H.R. and Jangid, R.S. (2015), "Development and analysis of passive hybrid energy dissipation system for steel moment resisting frame", Int. J. Civil Struct. Eng., 5(4), 339-352.
- McGraw Hill Construction (2011), Prefabrication and Modularization: Increasing Productivity in the Construction Industry.
- Roeder, C.W., Lehman, D.E. and Thody, R. (2009), "Composite action in CFT components and connections", Eng. J., AISC, 47(4), 229-242.
- Shim, C.S., Chung, C.H. and Kim, H.H. (2008a), "Experimental evaluation of seismic performance of precast segmental bridge piers with a circular solid section", Eng. Struct., 30(12), 3782-3792. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.07.005
- Shim, C.S., Chung, Y.S. and Han, J.H. (2008b), "Cyclic response of concrete-encased composite columns with low steel ratio", Struct. Build., 161(2), 77-89. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.2008.161.2.77
- Shim, C.S., Chung, Y.S. and Yoon, J.Y. (2011), "Cyclic behavior of prefabricated circular composite columns with low steel ratio", Eng. Struct., 33(9), 2525-2534. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.04.024
- Shim, C., Kim, D., Jung, D., Kim, I. and Chung, C. (2014), "Cyclic tests of modular CFT bridge piers", Proceedings of 10th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering Frontiers of Earthquake Engineering, Anchorage, AK, USA, July, pp. 1-10.
- Stefan, W. (2012), "Behaviour and design of generic buckling restrained brace systems", M.S. Thesis; Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Watanabe, A., Hitomoi, Y., Saeki, E., Wada, A. and Fujimoto, M. (1988), "Properties of braces encased in buckling-restraining concrete and steel tube", Proceedings of the 10th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Tokyo-Kyoto, Japan, August.
- Cyclic testing of steel beam blind bolted to CFST column composite frames with SBTD concrete slabs vol.148, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.06.065