- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analytical evaluation of a modular CFT bridge pier according to directivity
- Kim, Dongwook (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung Ang University) ;
- Jeon, Chiho (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung Ang University) ;
- Shim, Changsu (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung Ang University)
- Received : 2015.09.16
- Accepted : 2016.02.11
- Published : 2016.04.30
This paper focuses on the analytical behavior of modular circular concrete-filled tubular (CFT) column with enhanced bracing details. To design a full-scale bridge pier of multiple circular concrete-filled tubes, numerical analysis was used to evaluate structural performance according to load directivity. In previous research (Ma et al. 2012, Shim et al. 2014), low cycle fatigue failure at bracing joints was observed, so enhanced bracing details to prevent premature failure are proposed in this analysis. The main purpose of this research is to investigate seismic performance for the diagonal direction load without premature failure at the joints when the structure reaches the ultimate load. The ABAQUS finite-element software is used to evaluate experimental performance. A quasi-static loading condition on a modular bridge pier is introduced to investigate structural performance. The results obtained from the analysis are evaluated by comparing with load-displacement responses from experiments. The concrete-filled tubes with enhanced bracing details showed higher energy dissipation capacity and proper performance without connection failure for a diagonal load.
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MOLIT)
- Chou, C.C. and Chen, Y.C. (2006), "Cyclic tests of post-tensioned precast CFT segmental bridge columns with unbounded strands", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(2), 159-175. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.512
- ElAawady, M.A. and Dawood, H.M. (2012), "Analysis of segmental piers consisted of concrete filled FRP tubes", Eng. Struct., 38, 142-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.01.001
- Ellobody, E., Young, B. and Lam, D. (2006), "Behaviour of normal and high strength concrete-filled compact steel tube circular stub columns", J. Construct. Steel Res., 62(7), 706-715. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.11.002
- Giakoumelis, G. and Lam, D. (2004), "Axial capacity of circular concrete-filled tube columns", J. Construct. Steel Res., 60(7), 1049-1068. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2003.10.001
- Gu, Q., Zona, A., Peng, Y. and Dall'Asta, A. (2014), "Effect of buckling-restrained brace model parameters on seismic structural response", J. Construct. Steel Res., 98, 100-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.02.009
- Hassan, M.M., Ramadan, H.M., Abdel-Mooty, M.N. and Mourad, S.A. (2014), "Behavior of concentrically loaded CFT braces connections", J. Adv. Res., 5(2), 243-252. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2013.03.005
- Hu, H., Huang, C. and Chen, Z. (2005), "Finite element analysis of CFT columns subjected to an axial compressive force and bending moment in combination", J. Construct. Steel Res., 61(12), 1692-1712. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.05.002
- Hu, H.T., Su, F.C. and Elchalakani, M. (2010), "Finite element analysis of CFT columns subjected to pure bending moment", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 10(5), 415-428. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2010.10.5.415
- Kim, D.W. and Shim, C.S. (2013), "Evaluation of structural performance of precast modular pier cap" Proceedings of 13th East Asia-Pacific Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction, Sapporo, Japan, September, pp. 1-6.
- Ma, H.W., Oh, H.C., Kim, D.W., Kong, D. and Shim, C.S. (2012), "Evaluation of flexural behavior of a modular pier with circular CFT", J. Korean Soc. Steel Construct., 24(6), 725-734. [In Korean] https://doi.org/10.7781/kjoss.2012.24.6.725
- MagarPatil, H.R. and Jangid, R.S. (2015), "Development and analysis of passive hybrid energy dissipation system for steel moment resisting frame", Int. J. Civil Struct. Eng., 5(4), 339-352.
- Shim, C.S., Chung, Y.S. and Yoon, J.Y. (2011), "Cyclic behavior of prefabricated circular composite columns with low steel ratio", Eng. Struct., 33(9), 2525-2534. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.04.024
- Shim, C.S., Kim, D.W. and Kong, D. (2012), "Structural performance of precast segmental composite pier cap", Proceedings of the 18th International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering, Seoul, Korea, September, pp. 611-612.
- Shim, C., Kim, D., Jung, D., Kim, I. and Chung, C. (2014), "Cyclic tests of modular CFT bridge piers" Proceedings of 10th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering Frontiers of Earthquake Engineering, Anchorage, AL, USA, July, pp. 1-10.
- Stefan, W. (2012), "Behaviour and design of generic buckling restrained brace systems", M.S. Thesis; Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.