- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Investigating the Frequency of the ERCC1 Gene C8092A Polymorphism in Iranian Patients with Advanced Gastric Cancer
- Mokmeli, Sharareh (Biology Research Center, Zanjan Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Tehrani, Golnaz Asaadi (Department of Genetics, Zanjan Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Zamiri, Reza Eghdam (Radiation Oncology Department, Tabriz Medical University) ;
- Bahrami, Tayyeb (Genetic Research Center, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences (USWR))
- Published : 2016.04.11
Background: Platinum compounds are the main drugs for treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Previous studies have shown that clinical outcome with platinum-based compounds depends on ERCC1 polymorphisms. The aim of this study was to investigate the frequency of a common polymorphism of ERCC1 gene (C8092A) in Iranian patients with advanced gastric cancer receiving platinum chemotherapy. Materials and Methods: Genetic analysis of the ERCC1 C8092A polymorphism was performed by the PCR - RFLP method using 50 paraffin-embedded tissue specimens. Results: Of the 50 cases, 32% of individuals showed CC genotype, 24% of them had CA genotype and 44% of patients had AA genotype. Conclusions: Based on the results, using of platinum-based chemotherapy would be expected to be specifically beneficial in only 32% of patients.
Supported by : Islamic Azad University of Zanjan
- Alireza S, Mehdi N, Ali M, et al (2005). Cancer occurrence in Iran in 2002, an international perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 359.
- Bramson J, Panasci LC (1993). Effect of ERCC-1 overexpression on sensitivity of Chinese hamster ovary cells to DNA damaging agents. Cancer Res, 53, 3237-40.
- Chen P, Wiencke J, Aldape K, et al (2000). Association of an ERCC1 polymorphism with adult-onset glioma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 9, 843-7.
- Fareed K, Al-Attar A, Soomro I, et al (2010). Tumour regression and ERCC1 nuclear protein expression predict clinical outcome in patients with gastro-oesophageal cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy. British J Cancer, 102, 1600-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605686
- Fujii T, Toyooka S, Ichimura K, et al (2008). ERCC1 protein expression predicts the response of cisplatin-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy in non-small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 59, 377-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2007.08.025
- Gossage L, Madhusudan S (2007). Current status of excision repair cross complementing-group 1 (ERCC1) in cancer. Cancer Treatment Rev, 33, 565-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2007.07.001
- Huang Z-H, Hua D, Du X, et al (2008). ERCC1 polymorphism, expression and clinical outcome of oxaliplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy in gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 6401. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.6401
- Kwon H, Roh M, Oh S, et al (2007). Prognostic value of expression of ERCC1, thymidylate synthase, and glutathione S-transferase P1 for 5-fluorouracil/oxaliplatin chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer. Ann Oncol, 18, 504-9.
- Li S, Wu J, Chen Y, et al (2014). ERCC1 expression levels predict the outcome of platinum-based chemotherapies in advanced bladder cancer: a meta-analysis. Anti-cancer drugs, 25, 106-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0000000000000021
- Liu Y-P, Ling Y, Qi Q-F, et al (2013). The effects of ERCC1 expression levels on the chemosensitivity of gastric cancer cells to platinum agents and survival in gastric cancer patients treated with oxaliplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy. Oncol letters, 5, 935-42. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2012.1096
- Madhusudan S, Hickson ID (2005). DNA repair inhibition: a selective tumour targeting strategy. Trends Molecular Med, 11, 503-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molmed.2005.09.004
- Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, Malekzadeh Z (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran: epidemiology and risk factors. Arch Iran Med, 12, 576-83.
- Matsubara J, Nishina T, Yamada Y, et al (2008). Impacts of excision repair cross-complementing gene 1 (ERCC1), dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase, and epidermal growth factor receptor on the outcomes of patients with advanced gastric cancer. British J Cancer, 98, 832-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604211
- Olaussen KA, Dunant A, Fouret P, et al (2006). DNA repair by ERCC1 in non-small-cell lung cancer and cisplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy. New Eng J Med, 355, 983-91. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa060570
- Qin X, Yao W, Li W, et al (2014). ERCC1 and BRCA1 mRNA expressions are associated with clinical outcome of non-small cell lung cancer treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. Tumor Biology, 35, 4697-704. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-1615-8
- Reardon JT, Sancar A (2005). Nucleotide excision repair. Progress Nucleic Acid Research Molecular Biol, 79, 183-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6603(04)79004-2
- Schettino C, Bareschino MA, Maione P, et al (2008). The potential role of pharmacogenomic and genomic in the adjuvant treatment of early stage non small cell lung cancer. Current genomics, 9, 252. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920208784533665
- Siddik ZH (2003). Cisplatin: mode of cytotoxic action and molecular basis of resistance. Oncogene, 22, 7265-79. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1206933
- Siegel R, Ma J, Zou Z, et al (2014). Cancer statistics, 2014. CA Cancer J Clin, 64, 9-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21208
- Steffensen KD, Smoter M, Waldstrom M, et al (2014). Resistance to first line platinum paclitaxel chemotherapy in serous epithelial ovarian cancer: The prediction value of ERCC1 and Tau expression. Int J Oncol, 44, 1736-44. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2014.2311
- Stein ME, Drumea K, Charas T, et al (2014). Platinum-based chemotherapy in primary advanced seminoma-a retrospective analysis: treatment results at the northern israel oncology center (1989-2010). rambam maimonides medical journal, 5.
- Waters J, Norman A, Cunningham D, et al (1999). Long-term survival after epirubicin, cisplatin and fluorouracil for gastric cancer: results of a randomized trial. British J Cancer, 80, 269. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6690350
- Wei J, Zou Z, Qian X, et al (2008). ERCC1 mRNA levels and survival of advanced gastric cancer patients treated with a modified FOLFOX regimen. British J Cancer, 98, 1398-402. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604317
- Yamada Y, Boku N, Nishina T, et al (2013). Impact of excision repair cross-complementing gene 1 (ERCC1) on the outcomes of patients with advanced gastric cancer: correlative study in Japan Clinical Oncology Group Trial JCOG9912. Ann Oncol, 238.
- Zhang Z-Y, Tian X, Wu R, et al (2012). Predictive role of ERCC1 and XPD genetic polymorphisms in survival of Chinese non-small cell lung cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2583-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2583
- Zhou W, Gurubhagavatula S, Liu G, et al (2004). Excision repair cross-complementation group 1 polymorphism predicts overall survival in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 4939-43. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-0247
- Zorbas H, Keppler BK (2005). Cisplatin damage: are DNA repair proteins saviors or traitors to the cell? Chembiochem, 6, 1157-66. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbic.200400427