- Volume 17 Issue sup1
DOI QR Code
Violation of Bans on Tobacco Advertising and Promotion at Points of Sale in Viet Nam: Trend from 2009 - 2015
- Le, Thi Thanh Huong (Hanoi School of Public Health) ;
- Tran, Khanh Long (Hanoi School of Public Health) ;
- Phung, Xuan Son (Hanoi School of Public Health) ;
- Do, Phuc Huyen (Hanoi School of Public Health) ;
- Phan, Thuy Linh (Hanoi School of Public Health) ;
- Nguyen, Ngoc Bich (Hanoi School of Public Health) ;
- Nguyen, Xuan Lam (Vietnam Public Health Association) ;
- Le, Vu Anh (Vietnam Public Health Association) ;
- Tran, Thi Tuyet-Hanh (Hanoi School of Public Health)
- Published : 2016.04.14
Comprehensive bans on tobacco advertising and promotion were introduced through tobacco control legislation in Viet Nam, but it has been established that violations of the bans are very common. This study was conducted to explore the trend in violations of bans on tobacco advertising and promotion at points of sale in Viet Nam in the past six years and to explore any differences in the violation situations before and after the Law on Tobacco Control came into effect on 1st May 2013. Quantitative data were collected through observation of violations of the bans on tobacco advertising and promotion at points of sale in 10 provinces throughout Viet Nam in four survey rounds (2009, 2010, 2011, and 2015). Variation in violation prevalence over time was examined by chi-square test using a Bonferini method. Binary logistic regression was employed to identify the factors that may have influences on different types of violation. A level of significance of p<0.05 was used for all tests in this article. The most common form of violation was the display of more than one pack/one carton of a cigarette brand. Violation of bans on tobacco advertising increased while violations on promotion ban and on displaying tobacco decreased through time. Some factors associated with the tobacco advertising and promotion bans included surveyed years, types of points of sale, regions and areas where the points of sale were located. The enforcement of the bans did not improve even after the issuance and the enactment of the Law on Tobacco Control. This suggests that the monitoring and enforcement of bans on tobacco advertising and promotion at points of sale should be strengthened. Penalties should be strictly applied for violators as indicated in the current tobacco control legislation.
Violation;tobacco;advertising;promotion;points of sale;Viet Nam
- Anh LV, Huong LTT, Hanh TTT, et al (2011). Compliance of tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship bans in Vietnam, 2010. Vietnam J Public Health, 20, 43-9.
- Brown-Johnson C, LJ England, SA Glantz, et al (2014). Tobacco industry marketing to low socioeconomic status women in the U.S.A. Tob Control, 23, 139-46. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051224
- Carter O, Phan T, Mills BW (2015). Impact of a point-of-sale tobacco display ban on smokers' spontaneous purchases: comparisons from postpurchase interviews before and after the ban in Western Australia. Tob Control, 24, 81-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-050991
- Cummings KM, Sciandra R, Lawrence J (1991). Tobacco Advertising in Retail Stores. Public Health Rep, 106, 570-5.
- Gilpin EA, VM White, P Pierce (2005). How effective are tobacco industry bar and club marketing efforts in reaching young adults? Tobacco Control, 14, 186-92. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2004.009712
- Goel R, R Kumar, P Lal, et al (2014). How compliant are tobacco vendors to India's tobacco control legislation on ban of advertisments at point of sale? A three jurisdictions review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10637-42.
- HSPH (2012). Tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship in Vietnam - Results from a three year study 2009-2011 at 10 provinces/ cities in Vietnam. 1-120.
- HSPH (2013). Stakeholder' awareness on the Law on Tobacco Control and challenges in the implementation of the ban on tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship. 1-45.
- Huong LTT, Long TK, Bich NN, et al (2015). The status of the violation of tobacco advertising, promotion at points of sale in selected provinces in Vietnam, 2014-2015. 1-53.
- Kin F, Lian TY, Yun YC (2010). How the tobacco industry circumvented ban on tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorships: observation from selected asean countries. Asian J WTO International Health Law Policy, 5, 449-65.
- Li L, Borland R, Fong GT, et al (2013). Impact of point-of-sale tobacco display bans: findings from the international tobacco control four country survey. Health Educ Res, 28, 898-910. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyt058
- Paynter J, Edwards R (2009). The impact of tobacco promotion at the point of sale: a systematic review. Nicotine and Tobacco Res, 11, 25-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntn002
- Robertson L, C Cameron, R McGee, et al (2016). Point-of-sale tobacco promotion and youth smoking: a meta-analysis. Tob Control, pii, tobaccocontrol-2015-052586.
- Sardana M, Goel S, Gupta M, et al (2015). Is Exposure to tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship associated with initiation of tobacco use among current tobacco users in youth in India? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 6299-302. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6299
- SEATCA. 2008. The story of point of sale in the Philipines, Thailand and Vietnam [Online]. Bangkok: Southeast Asia tobacco control alliance.
- Sinha D, KM Palipudi, K Oswal, et al (2014). Influence of tobacco industry advertisements and promotions on tobacco use in India: findings from the Global Adult Tobacco Survey 2009-2010. Indian J Cancer, 51, 13-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.152000
- The Government of Viet Nam (2013a). Decree 158/2013/ND-CP dated 12 November 2013 regulates the administrative penalties for violations in the area of culture, sport, tourisms and advertisement. Decree number 158/2013/ND-CP.
- The Government of Viet Nam (2013b). Decree number 176/2013/ND-CP dated 14 November 2013 regulates the administrative penalties for violations in the health sector. Decree number 176/2013/ND-CP.
- Tobacco Free Kids. International issues: Advertising and Promotion [Online]. Washington D.C.: TFK.
- VN Ministry of Culture - Sport and Tourism (2008). Circular letter 78/2008/TT-BVHTTDL dated 29 August 2008 on adjusting Circular letter 19/2005/TT-BVHTT dated 12 May 2005 of the Ministry of Culture and Information which guides the implementation of the advertisement decree and the Government's resolution 12/2000/NQ-CP on banning tobacco advertising. Circular letter 78/2008/TT-BVHTTDL.
- VN Ministry of Culture and Information (2005). Circular letter 19/2005/TT-BVHTT dated 12 May 2005 about the guideline for implementing the ordinance of advertisement and the Government's resolution number of 12/2000/NQ-CP on banning tobacco advertising. Circular letter 19/2005/TT-BVHTT.
- VN National Assembly (2012a). Law on Advertisement. 16/2012/QH13.
- VN National Assembly (2012b). Law on Tobacco Control. 09/2012/QH13.
- Wakefield M, Germain D, Durkin S, et al (2006). An experimental study of effects on schoolchildren of exposure to point-of-sale cigarette advertising and pack displays. Health Education Res, 21, 338-47. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyl005
- WHO. (2003). WHO FCTC [Online]. Geneva: WHO.
- WHO. (2015). WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2015 - Country profile: Indonesia [Online]. Geneva: WHO.
- Exposure to Tobacco Advertising, Promotion Among the Adult Population in Vietnam and Its Implications for Public Health pp.1941-2479, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539517735630
- Vitamin D exposure and Risk of Breast Cancer: a meta-analysis vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-27297-1