- Volume 17 Issue sup1
DOI QR Code
Changes in Co-Occurrence of Smoking and Harmful Drinking among Youth: a Study from the Chi Linh Demographic - Epidemiological Surveillance System in Vietnam, 2006-2013
- Duong, Minh Duc (Hanoi School of Public Health) ;
- Le, Thi Vui (Hanoi School of Public Health) ;
- Nguyen, Thuy Quynh (Hanoi School of Public Health) ;
- Hoang, Van Minh (Hanoi School of Public Health)
- Published : 2016.04.14
Smoking and harmful drinking dramatically increase health risks but little is known about their cooccurrence and factors that influence this co-habit, limiting development and implementation of appropriately targeted prevention interventions. This study was conducted among youth aged 10-24 years old in the Chi Linh Demographic - Epidemiological Surveillance System (CHILILAB DESS). The total numbers in the first, second and third rounds in 2006, 2009 and 2013 were 12,406, 10,211, and 7,654, respectively. A random-effects logit model controlling for both time-variant and time-invariant variables was applied to explore factors associated with current smoking, harmful drinking, and occurrence of smoking and harmful drinking together. We found dramatically increasing trends in current smoking, harmful drinking and co-occurrence among youth. Our results indicate similar health problems among youth in peri-urban areas in Vietnam. Demographic characteristics (older age, being male, being unmarried, and having informal work) appeared to be predictors for smoking and drinking behaviour. Besides, peer and family members had significant influence on smoking, whereas having a close-friend who was smoking was the most important variable. The results suggested that smoking and harmful drinking should not be solved with separate, stand-alone interventions but rather with integrated efforts.
Smoking;harmful drinking;co-occurrence;youth;Viet Nam;CHILILAB
- Anderson P (2006). Global use of alcohol, drugs and tobacco. Drug Alcohol Rev, 25, 489-502. https://doi.org/10.1080/09595230600944446
- Backinger CL, Fagan P, Matthews E, Grana R (2003). Adolescent and young adult tobacco prevention and cessation: current status and future directions. Tob Control, 12, 46-53.
- Bui TV, Blizzard L, Luong KN, et al (2015). Declining Prevalence of Tobacco Smoking in Vietnam. Nicotine Tob Res, 17, 831-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu202
- den Exter Blokland EA, Engels RC, et al (2004). Lifetime parental smoking history and cessation and early adolescent smoking behavior. Prev Med, 38, 359-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2003.11.008
- Dierker L, Lloyd-Richardson E, Stolar M, et al (2006). The proximal association between smoking and alcohol use among first year college students. Drug Alcohol Depend, 81, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2005.05.012
- Flay BR, Hu FB, Siddiqui O, et al (1994). Differential influence of parental smoking and friends' smoking on adolescent initiation and escalation of smoking. J Health Soc Behav, 35, 248-65. https://doi.org/10.2307/2137279
- Franceschi S, Talamini R, Barra S, et al (1990). Smoking and drinking in relation to cancers of the oral cavity, pharynx, larynx, and esophagus in northern Italy. Cancer Res, 50, 6502-7.
- General Statistic Office of Vietnam (2015). The 1/4/2014 time-point population change and family planning survey: Major findings. Hanoi: 2015.
- Giang KB, Allebeck P, Spak F, Van Minh H, Dzung TV (2008). Alcohol use and alcohol consumption-related problems in rural Vietnam: an epidemiological survey using AUDIT. Subst Use Misuse, 43, 481-95. https://doi.org/10.1080/10826080701208111
- Gilman SE, Rende R, Boergers J, et al (2009). Parental smoking and adolescent smoking initiation: an intergenerational perspective on tobacco control. Pediatrics, 123, 274-81. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-2251
- Guindon GE, Georgiades K, Boyle MH (2008). Susceptibility to smoking among South East Asian youth: a multilevel analysis. Tob Control, 17, 190-7. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2007.022285
- Jackson KM, Colby SM, Sher KJ (2010). Daily patterns of conjoint smoking and drinking in college student smokers. Psychol Addict Behav, 24, 424-35. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0019793
- Johnson PB, Boles SM, Vaughan R, Kleber HD (2000). The co-occurrence of smoking and binge drinking in adolescence. Addict Behav, 25, 779-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4603(99)00066-0
- Kobus K (2003). Peers and adolescent smoking. Addiction, 98 Suppl 1, 37-55. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.98.s1.4.x
- Lantz P, Jacobson P, Warner K, et al (2000). Investing in youth tobacco control: a review of smoking prevention and control strategies. Tob Control, 9, 47-63. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.9.1.47
- Morrow M, Barraclough S (2003). Tobacco control and gender in south-east Asia. Part II: Singapore and Vietnam. Health Promot Int, 18, 373-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/heapro/dag403
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Alcohol-use disorders: diagnosis, assessment and management of harmful drinking and alcohol dependence London: Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 2011 [cited 2016 4 Mar].
- Nguyen LT, Rahman Z, Emerson MR, Nguyen MH, Zabin LS (2012). Cigarette smoking and drinking behavior of migrant adolescents and young adults in Hanoi, Vietnam. J Adolesc Health, 50, 61-7.
- Otten R, Engels RC, van de Ven MO, Bricker JB (2007). Parental smoking and adolescent smoking stages: the role of parents' current and former smoking, and family structure. J Behav Med, 30, 143-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-006-9090-3
- Schmid B, Hohm E, Blomeyer D, et al (2007). Concurrent alcohol and tobacco use during early adolescence characterizes a group at risk. Alcohol Alcohol, 42, 219-25. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agm024
- Tran BH, Nguyen HT, Ho HT, Pham CV, Le VT, Le AV (2013). The Chi Linh Health and Demographic Surveillance System (CHILILAB HDSS). Int J Epidemiol, 42, 750-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyt053
- Weitzman ER, Chen YY (2005). The co-occurrence of smoking and drinking among young adults in college: national survey results from the United States. Drug Alcohol Depend, 80, 377-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2005.05.008
- Witkiewitz K, Desai SA, Steckler G, et al (2012). Concurrent drinking and smoking among college students: An event-level analysis. Psychol Addict Behav, 26, 649-54. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0025363
- Yeh MY (2006). Factors associated with alcohol consumption, problem drinking, and related consequences among high school students in Taiwan. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci, 60, 46-54. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1819.2006.01459.x
- Zheng TZ, Boyle P, Hu HF, et al (1990). Tobacco smoking, alcohol consumption, and risk of oral cancer: a case-control study in Beijing, people's republic of China. Cancer Causes Control, 1, 173-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00053170
- Inequalities in Household Catastrophic Health Expenditure and Impoverishment Associated With Noncommunicable Diseases in Chi Linh, Hai Duong, Vietnam vol.29, pp.5_suppl, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539517712919