- Volume 17 Issue sup1
DOI QR Code
Methodology for the Global Youth Tobacco Use Survey (GYST), Vietnam, 2014
- Kim, Bao Giang (Hanoi Medical University) ;
- Hoang, Van Minh (Hanoi School of Public Health) ;
- Phan, Thi Hai (Vietnam Steering Committee on Smoking and Health (VINACOSH)) ;
- Doan, Thu Huyen (Vietnam Steering Committee on Smoking and Health (VINACOSH)) ;
- Luong, Ngoc Khue (Vietnam Steering Committee on Smoking and Health (VINACOSH)) ;
- Nguyen, Thuy Linh (Vietnam Steering Committee on Smoking and Health (VINACOSH)) ;
- Nguyen, Tuan Lam (World Health Organization Office in Viet Nam) ;
- Pham, Thi Quynh Nga (World Health Organization Office in Viet Nam) ;
- Luu, Ngoc Hoat (Hanoi Medical University)
- Published : 2016.04.14
Viet Nam is a country with the highest rate of adult male smokers in the world. In 2010, the percentage of adult male smokers was 47.4%. Each year in Viet Nam, there are 40,000 lives lost from tobacco-related diseases. The Global Tobacco Youth Survey is an international standardized survey that has been conducted in more than 140 countries. To provide evidence for tobacco control, Viet Nam already conducted two rounds of GYTS in 2003 and 2007. The GYTS in 2014 is the survey's third iteration. This paper aims to document key methodological details and socio-demographic characteristics of the respondents included in the 2014 GYTS in Viet Nam. This survey followed international protocol and was conducted in 13 provinces representative of 6 geographical regions. A total of 3,430 school children, aged 13 to 15 years used a standardized answer sheet to answer 76 questions about seven tobacco-related topics, including prevalence of tobacco use, environmental tobacco smoke, access and availability, media and advertisement, cessation, knowledge and attitudes, tobacco-related school curriculum. This GYTS provides valid and reliable data for monitoring tobacco use among youth in Vietnam and is recommended to be regularly repeated.
- Rao S, Aslam SK, Zaheer S, Shafique K (2014). Anti-smoking initiatives and current smoking among 19,643 adolescents in South Asia: findings from the Global Youth Tobacco Survey. Harm Reduct J, 11, 8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7517-11-8
- Ross H, Trung DV, Phu VX (2007). The costs of smoking in Vietnam: the case of inpatient care. Tobacco Control, 16, 405-9. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2007.020396
- Sinha DN, Palipudi KM, Jones CK, et al (2014). Levels and trends of smokeless tobacco use among youth in countries of the World Health Organization South-East Asia Region. Indian J Cancer, 51 Suppl 1, S50-3.
- Sinha DN, Palipudi KM, Rolle I, et al (2011). Tobacco use among youth and adults in member countries of South-East Asia region: review of findings from surveys under the Global Tobacco Surveillance System. Indian J Public Health, 55, 169-76. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-557X.89946
- Sirichotiratana N, Sovann S, Aditama TY, et al (2008). Linking data to tobacco control program action among students aged 13-15 in Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member states, 2000-2006. Tob Control, 17, 372-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2007.024190
- Vietnam National Assembly (2012). Law on Tobacco Control.
- VINACOSH (2003). The 2003 GYTS in Vietnam: A preliminary report on youth tobacco use. Hanoi, Ministry of Health.
- VINACOSH (2007). The 2007 GYTS in Vietnam: A preliminary report on youth tobacco use. Hanoi, Ministry of Health.
- Warren CW, Jones NR, Peruga A, et al (2008). Global Youth Tobacco Surveillance, 2000--2007. MMWR, 57, 1-21.
- Warren CW, Lee J, Lea V, et al (2009). Evolution of the Global Tobacco Surveillance System (GTSS) 1998-2008. Glob Health Promot, 16 (2 Suppl), 4-37. https://doi.org/10.1177/1757975909342181
- Global Youth Tobacco Survey Collaborative Group (2012). Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) : Core Questionnaire with Optional Questions.
- Kabir MA, Goh KL, Khan MH (2013). A cross-country comparison of tobacco consumption among youths from selected South-Asian countries. BMC Public Health, 13, 379. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-379
- Levy DT, Bales S, Lam NT, et al (2006). The role of public policies in reducing smoking and deaths caused by smoking in Vietnam: Results from the Vietnam tobacco policy simulation model. Soc Sci Med, 62, 1819-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.08.043
- Ministry of Health of Vietnam, Hanoi Medical University, General Statistics Office of Vietnam (2010). Global Adult Tobacco Survey: Vietnam 2010.
- Moh'd Al-Mulla A, Abdou Helmy S, Al-Lawati J, et al (2008). Prevalence of tobacco use among students aged 13-15 years in Health Ministers' Council/Gulf Cooperation Council Member States, 2001-2004. J Sch Health, 78, 337-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2008.00311.x