- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Phytoestrogen Extraction for Relaxation of Female Menopause Symptoms from Natural Products
천연물로부터 여성갱년기 증상완화를 위한 식물성 에스트로겐의 초음파 추출특성
- Lee, Seung Bum (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Park, So Yeon (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Jeon, Gil Song (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Hong, In Kwon (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dankook University)
- Received : 2016.03.04
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.04.10
Phytoestrogens are one of quasi-estrogens which are not generated within the endocrine system, but consumed by intaking phytoestrogenic plants. Phytoestrogens, also called as "dietary estrogens", are various botanic chemical compound groups naturally occurring nonsteroidal plant compounds of spontaneous generation. Due to their structural similarities to estrogone, they may provide desirable health benefits for reducing the menopausal symptoms. In this paper, various phytoestrogens were extracted from sophora root, pomegranate and kudzu by ultrasonic extraction process. In this study, the amount of extracted phytoestrogens at various ultrasonic power strengths and extraction times were compared, which could be used as basic data in the study of biology and chemistry related to natural products.
Supported by : 농림축산식품부
- M. F. M. Lazari, T. F. G. Lucas, F. Yasuhara, G. R. O. Gomes, E. R. Siu, C. Royer, S. A. F. Fernandes, and C. S. Porto, Estrogen receptors and function in the male reproductive system, Arq. Bras. Endocrinol. Metab., 53(8), 923-933 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1590/S0004-27302009000800005
- S. Nilsson, S. Makela, E. Treuter, M. Tujague, J. Thomsen, and G. Andersson, Mechanisms of estrogen action, Physiol. Rev., 81(4), 1535-1565 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.2001.81.4.1535
- L. O'Donnell, K. M. Robertson, M. E. Jones, and E. R. Simpson, Estrogen and spermatogenesis, Endocr. Rev., 22(3), 289-318 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1210/er.22.3.289
- R. A. Hess and K. Carnes, The role of estrogen in testis and the male reproductive tract : A review and species comparison, Anim. Reprod., 1(1), 5-30 (2004).
- E. J. Kum, D. H. Kwon, and H. S. Shin, Analysis of estrogen in pomegranate extract by solid phase extraction and liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry, J. Food Hyg. Safety, 25(1), 79-82 (2010).
- R. Whittington and D. Faulds, Hormone replacement therapy : I. A pharmacoeconomic appraisal of its therapeutic use in menopausal symptoms and urogenital estrogen deficiency, Pharmacoeconomics, 5, 419-445 (1994). https://doi.org/10.2165/00019053-199405050-00008
- T. Cornwell, W. Cohick, and I. Raskin, Dietary phytoestrogens and health, Phytochemistry, 65(8), 995-1016 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2004.03.005
- J. Hays, J. K. Ockene, R. L. Brunner, J. M. Kotchen, J. E. Manson, R. E. Patterson, A. K. Aragaki, S. A. Shumaker, R. G. Brzyski, A. Z. LaCroix, I. A. Granek, and B. G. Valanis, Effects of estrogen plus progestin on healthrelated quality of life, N. Engl. J. Med., 348(19), 1839-1854 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa030311
- E. E. Krebs, K. E. Ensrud, R. MacDonald, and T. J. Wilt, Phytoestrogens for treatment of menopausal symptoms : A systematic review, Obstet. Gynecol., 104(4), 824-836 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1097/01.AOG.0000140688.71638.d3
- F. S. Dalais, G. E. Rice, M. L. Wahlqvist, M. Grehan, A. L. Murkies, G. Medley, R. Ayton, and B. J. G. Strauss, Effects of dietary phytoestrogens in postmenopausal women, Climacteric, 1, 124-129 (1998). https://doi.org/10.3109/13697139809085527
- R. Adelina, M. D. Supriyati, D. A. Nawangsari, R. I. Jenie, and E. Meiyanto, Citrus reticulata's Peels Modulate Blood Cholesterol Profile and Increase Bone Density of Ovariectomized Rats, I. J. Biotechnol., 13(2), 1092-1097 (2008).
- A. V. Sirotkin, Phytoestrogens and their effects, Eur. J. Pharmacol., 741, 230-236 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2014.07.057
- A. L. Murkies, G. Wilcox, and S. R. Davis, Phytoestrogens, J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 83, 297-303 (1998).
- W. J. Hurst, Method of Analysis for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals, 2nd ed., CRC Press, New York (2008).
- H. M. Park, The efficiency of phytoestrogen in postmenopausal women, Korean J. Obstet. Gynecol., 50(3), 389-415 (2007).