- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Electrical and Resistance Heating Properties of Carbon Fiber Heating Element for Car Seat
자동차 시트용 탄소섬유 발열체의 전기적 및 저항 발열 특성
- Choi, Kyeong-Eun (Department of Practical Arts Education, Jeonju National University of Education) ;
- Park, Chan-Hee (Department of Nano Materials Science and Engineering, Jeonju University) ;
- Seo, Min-Kang (Korea Institute of Carbon Convergence Technology)
- Received : 2016.02.19
- Accepted : 2016.03.18
- Published : 2016.04.10
In this paper, the electrical and resistance heating properties of carbon fiber heating elements with different electroless Ni-P plating times for car seat were studied. The specific resistance and specific heat of the carbon fibers were determined using 4-point probe method and differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), respectively. The surface morphology and temperature of carbon fibers were measured by scanning electron microscope (SEM) and thermo-graphic camera, respectively. From experimental results, the nickel layer thickness and surface temperature of carbon fibers increased with increasing the plating time. However, the specific heat and specific resistance decreased with respect to the increased plating time. In conclusion, the electroless Ni-P plating could improve the resistance heating and electrical properties of carbon fiber heating elements for car seat.
- K. S. Yoo, B. J. Jung. I. H. Jung, and D. H. Hyun, The Researches in the Properties of Heating of High Efficient Nano Surface Heater, J. Manuf. Eng. Technol., 10, 416-420 (2009).
- B. J. Han, D. S. Park, and K. W. Koo, Development of Energy-saving Heat Sheet with the Principles of PTC, J. Electric. Eng. Technol., 7, 2053-2054 (2010).
- S. C. Kim and D. H. Kim, Analysis for the Thermal Properties of the Electrical Wire according to Overload and Disconnection, J. Korean Soc. Saf., 22, 26-31 (2007).
- J. S. Kim, C. Y. Ryu, S. C. Kim, H. T. Oh, J. R. Yuk, and D. W. Kim, The Effects of Electromagnetic Field Emitted by Cellular Phone on Cognitive Function in Human, J. Korean Inst. Electromagn. Sci., 14. 606-615 (2003).
- M. S. Hong, K. M. Bea, H. S. Lee, S. J. Park, K. H. An, S. J. Kang, and B. J. Kim, Electromagnetic Interference Shielding Behaviors of Electroless Nickel-loaded Carbon Fibers-reinforced Epoxy Matrix Composite, Appl. Chem. Eng., 22, 672-678 (2011).
- J. G. Kim, C. H. Chung, and Y. S. Lee, The Effect of Crystallization by Heat Treatment Electromagnetic Interference Shielding Efficiency of Carbon Fibers, Appl. Chem. Eng., 22, 138-143 (2011).
- Z. H. Jin, K. J. Shim, T. W. Kong, H. M. Jeong, and H. S. Chung, A Study on the Temperature and Electrical Characteristics of Carbon Heater, Korean Soc. Power Syst. Eng., 10, 71-76 (2006).
- K. Y. Bae, K. S. Lee, J. H. Shin, H. M. Jeong, H. S. Chung, and J. S. Chun, Study on the Heat Generation Characteristics of the Carbon Heating Source with High Temperature, Korean Soc. Mech. Eng., 2, 106-111 (2001).
- J. Y. Lee, J. H. Oh, X. P. Yang, and S. K. Ryu, Relationship Between Exothermic Heat and Carbon Contents of Pitch-based Carbon Fiber, Carbon Lett., 10, 202-207 (2009). https://doi.org/10.5714/CL.2009.10.3.202
- K. M. Chu, D. J. Yun, D. O. Kim, H. K. Park, and S. H. Park, Study of Electric Heating Effects on Carbon Nanotube Polymer Composites, Org. Electron., 15, 2734-2741 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orgel.2014.07.043
- M. S. Kim, K. G. Kong, K. R. Kim, H. W, Park, O. Y. Park, Y. B. Park, M. Y. Jung, S. H. Lee, and S. G. Kim, Experimental and Numerical Study of Heating Characteristics of Discontinuous Carbon Fiber-epoxy Composite, Compos. Res., 26, 72-78 (2013). https://doi.org/10.7234/kscm.2013.26.1.72
- M. H. Jee, J. H. Lee, I. S. Lee, and D. H. Baik, Electrical Properties and Heating Performance of Polyurethane Hybrid Nanocomposite Films Containing Graphite and MWNTs, Text. Sci. Eng., 50, 108-114 (2013). https://doi.org/10.12772/TSE.2013.50.108
- T. J. Kim and D. D. L. Chung, Carbon Fiber Mats as Resistive Heating Elements, Carbon, 41, 2427-2451 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(03)00153-2
- K. Y. Bae, K. S. Lee, T. W. Kong, H. S. Chung, H. Y. Jeong, and H. T. Chung, A Study on Application of Warm Air Circulator by Using the Carbon Heating Element with Particle Type, Korean Soc. Power Syst. Eng., 7, 31-37 (2003).
- K. S. Lee, K. Y. Bea, H. M. Jeong, H. S. Chung, K. Y. Lee, and J. S. Chun, Heat and Electrical Characteristics of Carbon Heating Rod, Kroean Soc. Mech. Eng., 5, 1412-1417 (2002).
- C. T. Hsieh, D. Y. Tzou, Z. S. Huang, C. Y. Lee, and J. K. Chang, High Performance Infrared Heaters Using Carbon Fiber Filaments Decorated with Alumina Layer by Microwave-assisted Method, J. Tai. Inst. Chem. Eng., 54, 1-5 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtice.2015.03.011
- H. K. Lee, A Study on Evaluation System of Warming Effect Caused by Far-infrared Radiation, PhD Dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea (2005).
- K. J. Brown, R. Farrelly, S. M. O'Shaughnessy, and A. J. Robinson, Energy Efficiency of Electrical Infrared Heating Elements, Appl. Energy, 162, 581-588 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.10.064
- B. J. Kim, W. K. Choi, H. S. Song, J. K. Park, J. Y. Lee, and S. J. Park, Preparation and Characterization of Highly Conductive Nickel-plated Glass Fibers, Carbon Lett., 9, 105-107 (2008). https://doi.org/10.5714/CL.2008.9.2.105
- B. J. Kim, W. K. Choi, M. K. Um, and S. J. Park, Effects of Nickel Plating Thickness on Electric Properties of Nickel/Carbon Hybrid Fibers, Surf. Coat. Technol., 205, 3416-3421 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2010.12.007
- S. S. Tzeng and F. Y. Chang, Electrical Resistivity of Electroless Nickel Plated Carbon Fibers, Thin Solid Films, 388, 143-149 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-6090(01)00809-4
- A. E. Zantout and O. I. Zhupanska, On the Electrical Resistance of Carbon Fiber Polymer Matrix Composites, Compos. A, 41, 1719-1727 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2010.08.010
- W. D. Chen, Y. Sung, C. P. Chang, Y. C. Chen, and M. D. Ger, The Preparation of Thermo-responsive Palladium Catalyst with High Activity for Electroless Nickel Deposition, Surf. Coat. Techol., 204, 2130-2135 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2009.11.038
- D. W. Pyo, S. Y. Eom, Y. S. Lee, and S. G. Ryu, Exothermic Characteristics of PAN-based Carbon Fiber According to High Temperature Treatment, Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 49, 218-223 (2011). https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2011.49.2.218
- S. J. Jung, Characteristics of Deposits with Various Condition of Electroless Nickel Plating, MS Dissertaion, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Korea (2001).
- H. Z. Yu and C. V. Thompson, Grain Growth and complex Stress Evolution During Volmer-Weber Growth of Polycrystalline Thin Films, Acta Mater., 67, 189-198 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2013.12.031
- W. K. Choi, Preperation and Characterization of Highly Electrically Conductive Carbon Fibers Produced by Ni plating, MS Dissertation, Chungnam National University, Deajeon, Korea (2010).
- D. C. Shin and H. G. Woo, A Study on the Electrical Fan Heater using High Efficiency Induction Heating, J. KIIEE, 26, 24-30 (2012).
- A. T. Chien, S. B. Cho, Y. Joshi, and S. Kumar, Electrical Conductivity and Joule Heating of Polyacrylonitrile/Carbon nanotube Composite Fibers, Polymer, 55, 6896-6905 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2014.10.064
- Y. Jing and G. J. Young, Highly Elastic and Transparent Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube/Polydimethylsiloxane Bilayer Films as Electric Heating Materials, Mater. Des., 86, 72-79 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2015.07.089
- Conductivity, superhydrophobicity and mechanical properties of cotton fabric treated with polypyrrole by in-situ polymerization using the binary oxidants ammonium Peroxodisulfate and ferric chloride pp.1746-7748, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0040517518792732