- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Process Development of 4,4'-Bis(2-benzoxazolyl)stilbene from Recyclable Source MFB
재사용이 가능한 MFB로부터 4,4'-Bis(2-benzoxazolyl)stilbene의 합성 공정 개발
- Ryu, Young (Department of Bio & Nano Chemistry, Kookmin University) ;
- Kim, Jong Cheon (Department of Bio & Nano Chemistry, Kookmin University) ;
- Ham, Mi Jeong (Department of Bio & Nano Chemistry, Kookmin University) ;
- Kim, Seok Chan (Department of Bio & Nano Chemistry, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2016.02.02
- Accepted : 2016.03.10
- Published : 2016.04.10
A total four-step synthetic process of high quality optical brightening agent 4,4'-bis(2-benzoxazolyl)stilbene (BBS) from methyl 4-formylbenzoate (MFB) was developed with 73% total yield. MFB is one of the main by-products in dimethyl terephthalate (DMT) production process. Our process involves the formation of 4,4'-stilbenedicarboxylate (2) obtained from the reaction of an aldehyde in MFB with ethyl 4-((diethoxyphosphoryl)methyl)benzoate (1) and the subsequent transformation to 4,4'-stilbenedicarbonyl chloride (3). In order to prepare benzoxazole ring in BBS, various solvents and catalysts were studied. The best solvent and catalyst were found to be 1,2,4-trichlorobenzene and boric acid, respectively suitable for mass production of BBS.
Supported by : 산업통상자원부, 국민대학교
- A. R. Mitchell, P. F. Pagoria, and R. D. Schmidt, A new synthesis of TATB using inexpensive starting materials and mild reaction conditions, 27th International Annual Conference ICT on Energetic Materials, June 25-28, Karlsruhe, Germany (1996).
- A. R. Mitchell, P. F. Pagoria, and R. D. Schmidt, New synthesis of TATB process development studies, 29th International Annual Conference ICT on Energetic Materials, June 30-July 3, Karlsruhe, Germany (1998).
- K. D. Kim, Y. Yu, H. J. Jeong, M. J. Ham, K. L. Kim, A. N. Kim, O. Davgajantsan, G. S. Park, and S. C. Kim, Development on recovery of MFB from industrial waste without second pollution, Bull. Korean Chem. Soc., 33, 4275-4276 (2012). https://doi.org/10.5012/bkcs.2012.33.12.4275
- S. H. Kim, Y. Ryu, J. C. Kim, and S. C. Kim, Recovery of MFB Generated from Dimethyl Terephthalate Production Process, Appl. Chem. Eng., 26, 621-623 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1045
- K. D. Kim, Y. Ryu, and S. C. Kim, Facile One-Pot Synthesis of PABA from MFB, Appl. Chem. Eng., 25, 337-339 (2014). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2014.1020
- H. Richard and S. Wang, Process for the preparation of bis(2-benzoxazolyl) stilbenes, US Patent 5,332,828 (1994).
- J. S. Bowers and G. L. Mayberry, Process for the preparation of stilbene derivatives, US Patent 4,921,964 (1989).
- H. C. Brown and A. B. Ash, Isomer Distribution in the Sulfuryl Chloride Chlorination of the 1-Chlorobutanes and Related Compounds; the Inductive Effect in Free Radical Substitutions, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 77, 4019-4024 (1955). https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01620a019
- A. H. Ford-Moore and B. J. Perry, Diisopropyl Methylphosphonate, Org. Synth. Coll. Vol. IV, 325-327 (1963).
- H. S. Richard and K. Wang, Process fot The Preparation of Bis(2-benzoxazolyl)stilbenes, EP Patent 0,684,946 (1995).
- R. J. Sundberg, P. A. Buckowork, and F. O. Holcombe, Preparation of esters of 4-alkyl-2,4-pentadienoic acids by the phosphonate modification of the Wittig reaction, J. Org. Chem., 32, 2938-2941 (1967).