- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Techno-economic Evaluation of an Ethanol Production Process for Biomass Waste
바이오매스 폐기물의 에탄올 생산 공정의 기술경제성 평가
- Gwak, In-seop (Department of Mineral Resource & Energy Engineering, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Hwang, Jong-Ha (Department of Mineral Resource & Energy Engineering, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Lee, See Hoon (Department of Mineral Resource & Energy Engineering, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.01.14
- Accepted : 2016.02.22
- Published : 2016.04.10
Extensive efforts from all over the world have been made to solve energy problems, such as high oil prices, global warning due to the depletion of oil. Among them, biofuel has been drawing attention as a clean energy, which can replace fossil fuels. However, conventional biofuels were often converted from eatable biomass such as sugar cane, corn and soy which should be replaced with uneatable biomass. In this study, a techno-economical evaluation of the gasification of biomass waste with mixed alcohol synthesis process was performed. Considering available domestic biomass wastes, a 2000 ton/day conversion plant were assumed to produce 533000 L/day ethanol. Also, financial data from previous studies were evaluated and used and economical sensitivities with various operation conditions were established. Economic analysis were conducted by the payback period and internal rate of return (IRR) and net present value (NPV). Sensitivity analyses of raw material costs, initial investment, the major process cost, ethanol price changes and operating costs were all performed.
Supported by : 국가과학기술연구회
- IEA, World Energy Outlook (2012).
- J. W. Kook and S. H. Lee, Analysis of biomass energy potential around major cities in South Korea, Appl. Chem. Eng., 26, 178-183 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1005
- J. W. Kook, S. J. Jeon, S. Y. Park, H. S. Yoo, J. H. Shin, and S. H. Lee, Analysis of energy potential from biomass resource map, J. Kor. Soc. Waste Manag., 30(5), 505-511 (2013). https://doi.org/10.9786/kswm.2013.30.5.505
- A. Y. Lee, J. K. Koo, Intermediate indicators and sustainability of Renewable Fuel Standard, J. Kor. Org. Resour. Recycl. Assoc., 22(1), 20-26 (2014). https://doi.org/10.17137/KORRAE.2014.22.1.20
J. W. Kook, J. H. Shin, I. S. Gwak, and S. H. Lee, A reaction Kinetic Study of
$CO_2$Gasification of Petroleum Coke, Biomass and Mixture, Appl. Chem. Eng., 26(2), 184-190 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1006
- Y. Yun, Coal gasification technologies: past experience and future direction in Korea, Clean Coal Day in Japan 2006, 1-20 (2006).
- H. W. Ra, S. H. Lee, S. J. Yoon, Y. C. Choi, J. H. Kim, and J. G. Lee, Entrained-flow coal water slurry gasification, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 48(2), 129-139 (2010).
- S. H. Lee, S. J. Yoon, Y. C. Choi, J. H. Kim, and J. G. Lee, Characteristics of coal methanation in a hydrogasifier, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 44(6), 631-635 (2006).
- S. J. Yoon, Y. C. Choi, S. H. Lee, and J. G. Lee, Thermogravimetric study of coal and petroleum coke for co-gasification, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 24(3), 512-517 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-007-0090-y
- S. H. Lee, K. B. Choi, J. G. Lee, and J. H. Kim, Gasification characteristics of combustible wastes in a 5 ton/day fixed bed gasifier, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 23(4), 576-580 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02706797
E. M. A. Edreis, G. Luo, A. Li, C. Chao, H. Hu, S. Zhang, B. Gui, L. Xiao , K. Xu, P. Zhang, and H. Yao,
$CO_2$co-gasification of lower sulphur petroleum coke and sugar cane bagasse via TG-FTIR analysis technique, Bioresour. Technol., 136, 595-603 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2013.02.112
- S. Phillips, A. Aden, J. Jechura, and D. Dayton, Thermochemical Ethanol via Indirect Gasification and Mixed Alcohol Synthesis of Lignocellulosic Biomass Technical Report NREL/TP-510-41168 (2007).
- Spath, P. Aden, A. Eggeman, T. Ringer, M. Wallace, and B. Jechura, J, Biomass to Hydrogen Production Detailed Design and Economics Utilizing the Battelle Columbus Laboratory Indirectly- Heated Gasifier Technical Report NREL/TP-510-37408 (2005).
- Nexant, Inc., Equipment Design and Cost Estimation for Small Modular Biomass Systems, Synthesis Gas Cleanup, and Oxygen Separation Equipment. Task 9: Mixed Alcohols from Syngas- State of Technology, Technical Report NREL/SR-510-39947 (2006).
- P. Forzatti, E. Tronconi, and I. Pasquon, Higher Alcohol Synthesis, Cat. Rev. Sci. Eng., 33(1-2), 109-168 (1991). https://doi.org/10.1080/01614949108020298
- J. W. Park, J. S. Bae, Y. J. Kweon, H. J. Kim, J. Jung, and C. Han, Economic Evaluation of DCL/ICL processes, Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 47(6), 781-787 (2009).
- L. V. Bibber, E. Shuster, J. Haslbeck, M. Rutkowski, S. Olson, and S. Kramer, Technical and economic assessment of small-scale fischer-tropsch liquids facilities, DOE/NETL-2007/1253, NETL, USA (2007).
- NETL, Capital cost scaling methodology, DOE/NETL-341/013113, National Energy Technology Laboratory, USA (2013).
- J. M. Lee, D. W. Kim, J. S. Kim, J. J. Kim, and H. S. Kim, Economic feasibility of conversion of the pulverized coal firing boiler using korean anthracite into a circulating fluidized bed boiler, Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 44(5), 489-497 (2006).