- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Identification of Antifungal Substances of Lactobacillus sakei subsp. ALI033 and Antifungal Activity against Penicillium brevicompactum Strain FI02
- Huh, Chang Ki (Imsil Research Institute of Cheese Science) ;
- Hwang, Tae Yean (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sunchon National University)
- Received : 2015.10.23
- Accepted : 2016.02.03
- Published : 2016.03.31
This study was performed to investigate the antifungal substances and the antifungal activity against fungi of lactic acid bacteria (LAB) isolated from kimchi. LAB from kimchi in Imsil showed antifungal activity against Penicillium brevicompactum strain FI02. LAB LI031 was identified as Lactobacillus sakei subsp. Antifungal substances contained in L. sakei subsp. ALI033 culture media were unstable at high pH levels. Both, the control and proteinase K and protease treated samples showed clear zones, suggesting that the antifungal substances produced by ALI033 were non-protein substances unaffected by protesases. Both, the control and catalase showed clear zones, suggesting that the antifungal metabolite was not
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- Son HK, Lee MY, Chang HC, Lee JJ. 2013. Acute toxicity of crude anti-fungal compounds produced by Lactobacillus plantarum AF1. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 892-897. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.6.892
- Lee H, Lee JJ, Chang HC, Lee MY. 2012. Acute toxicity of Lactobacillus plantarum AF1 isolated from kimchi in mice. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 315-321. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.2.315
- Ko KH, Liu W, Lee HH, Yin J, Kim IC. 2013. Biological and functional characteristics of lactic acid bacteria in different kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 89-95. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.1.089
- Park YH, Ryu BH, Lee IS, Kang KH. 2006. Acid tolerant probiotic Lactobacillus sakei Probio-44 that can suppress the growth of pathogenic microorganisms and suppressed tumour growth and promoted the production of several different cytokines of immune responses. Korea Patent 10-0574527-0000.
- Sitara U, Niaz I, Naseem J, Sultana N. 2008. Antifungal effect of essential oils on in vitro growth of pathogenic fungi. Pak J Bot 40: 409-414.
- Sridhar SR, Rajagopal RV, Rajavel R, Masilamani S, Narasimhan S. 2003. Antifungal activity of some essential oils. J Agric Food Chem 51: 7596-7599. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0344082
- Suomalainen TH, Mayra-Makinen AM. 1999. Propionic acid bacteria as protective cultures in fermented milks and breads. Le Lait 79: 165-174. https://doi.org/10.1051/lait:1999113
- Tagg JR, Dajani AS, Wannamaker LW. 1976. Bacteriocins of gram-positive bacteria. Bacteriol Rev 40: 722-756.
- Pintado CMBS, Ferreira MASS, Sousa I. 2010. Control of pathogenic and spoilage microorganisms from cheese surface by whey protein films containing malic acid, nisin and natamycin. Food Control 21: 240-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2009.05.017
- Yang EJ, Chang HC. 2008. Antifungal activity of Lactobacillus plantarum isolated from kimchi. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 36: 276-284.
- Hoover DG, Harlander SK. 1993. Screening methods for detecting bacteriocin activity. In Bacteriocins of Lactic Acid Bacteria. Hoover DG, Steenson LR, eds. Academic Press, Inc., San Diego, CA, USA. p 23-39.
- Yang EJ, Chang HC. 2010. Purification of a new antifungal compound produced by Lactobacillus plantarum AF1 isolated from kimchi. Int J Food Microbiol 139: 56-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2010.02.012
- Magnusson J, Strom K, Roos S, Sjogren J, Schnurer J. 2003. Broad and complex antifungal activity among environmental isolates of lactic acid bacteria. FEMS Microbiol Lett 219: 129-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1097(02)01207-7
- Kim HR, Lee JH. 2013. Selection of acid-tolerant and heterofermentative lactic acid bacteria producing non-proteinaceous anti-bacterial substances for kimchi fermentation. Korean J Microbiol Biotechnol 41: 119-127. https://doi.org/10.4014/kjmb.1211.11005
- Lee JY, Park YS, Kim YS, Shin DH. 2002. Antimicrobial characteristics of metabolites of lactic acid bacteria isolated from feces of newborn baby and from Dongchimi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 472-479.
- Chung JH, Bae YS, Kim YJ, Lee JH. 2010. Characteristics of bacteriocin produced by a Lactobacillus plantarum strain isolated from kimchi. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 38: 481-485.
- Oliveira PM, Brosnan B, Furey A, Coffey A, Zannini E, Arendt EK. 2015. Lactic acid bacteria bioprotection applied to the malting process. Part I: Strain characterization and identification of antifungal compounds. Food Control 51: 433-443. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2014.07.004
- Park KT, Oh MH, Nam JO, Ji KB, Han JK. 2014. Characterization of mutant strain, Lactobacillus paracasei ML-7 isolated from kimchi, and its effect on the growth of broiler. Korean J Food Sci Technol 46: 148-152. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.2.148
- Antibacterial activity of supernatant obtained from Weissella koreensis and Lactobacillus sakei on the growth of pathogenic bacteria vol.43, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160044
- Lactobacillus sakei: A Starter for Sausage Fermentation, a Protective Culture for Meat Products vol.5, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms5030056
- Identification and quantification of antifungal compounds produced by lactic acid bacteria and propionibacteria vol.239, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2016.06.020