- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Physiochemical Changes and Optimization of Phosphate-Treated Shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei) Using Response Surface Methodology
- Omar, Saiah Djebbour (Directorate of Fishery and Fisheries Resources of Chlef, Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources) ;
- Yang, Je-Eun (Department of Food Science and Technology, Pukyong National University) ;
- Oh, Sang-Cheol (Food Analysis Center, Silla University) ;
- Kim, Dae-Wook (Research Planning & Management Division, National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation) ;
- Lee, Yang-Bong (Department of Food Science and Technology, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2016.02.11
- Accepted : 2016.02.27
- Published : 2016.03.31
The objective of this study was to determine the factors responsible for the changed physiochemical properties of unpeeled shrimp treated in cold phosphate solution (
Supported by : Pukyong National University
- Fang XB, Sun HY, Huang BY, Yuan GF. 2013. Effect of pomegranate peel extract on the melanosis of Pacific white shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei) during iced storage. J Food Agric Environ 11: 105-109.
- Tsironi T, Dermesonlouoglou E, Giannakourou M, Taoukis P. 2009. Shelf life modelling of frozen shrimp at variable temperature conditions. LWT-Food Sci Technol 42: 664-671. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2008.07.010
- Gonçalves AA, Ribeiro JLD. 2008. Do phosphates improve the seafood quality? Reality and legislation. Pan-Am J Aquat Sci 3: 237-247.
- Sallam KI. 2007. Antimicrobial and antioxidant effects of sodium acetate, sodium lactate, and sodium citrate in refrigerated sliced salmon. Food Control 18: 566-575. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2006.02.002
- Kilinc B, Cakli S. 2004. Chemical, microbiological and sensory changes in thawed frozen fillets of sardine (Sardina pilchardus) during marination. Food Chem 88: 275-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.01.044
- Paul S, Reza MS, Mandal ASMS, Ahmed IM, Khan MNA, Islam MN, Kamal M. 2012. Effect of sodium tri polyphosphate (STPP) and foreign materials on the quality of giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) under ice storage condition. Food Nutr Sci 3: 34-39. https://doi.org/10.4236/fns.2012.31007
- Moawad RK, Ashour MMS, Mohamed GF, El-Hamzy EMA. 2013. Effect of food grade trisodium phosphate or water dip treatments on some quality attributes of decapitated white marine shrimp (Penaeus spp.) during frozen storage. J Appl Sci Res 9: 3723-3734.
- Goncalves AA, Ribeiro JLD. 2009. Effects of phosphate treatment on quality of red shrimp (Pleoticus muelleri) processed with cryomechanical freezing. LWT-Food Sci Technol 42: 1435-1438. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2009.03.016
- Lampila LE. 1993. Polyphosphates: rationale for use and functionality in seafood and seafood products; functionality of polyphosphates. Presented at 18th Annual Conference Tropical and Subtropical Fisheries Technological Conference of the Americas. Williamsburg, VA, USA. p 13-20.
- Wangtueai S, Vichasilp C. 2015. Optimization of phosphate and salt application to physical and sensory properties of frozen Nile tilapia fillets. Int Food Res J 22: 2002-2009.
- Jantranit S, Thipayarat A. 2009. Marinating yield optimization of phosphate soaking process to enhance water uptake in white shrimp (Penaeus vannamei). As J Food Ag-Ind 2: 126-134.
- Jastrzebska A, Hol A, Szlyk E. 2008. Simultaneous and rapid determination of added phosphorus(V) compounds in meat samples by capillary isotachophoresis. LWT-Food Sci Technol 41: 2097-2103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2007.11.015
- Henson LS, Kowalewski KM. 1992. Use of phosphates in seafood. INFOFISH International 5: 52-54.
- Jastrzebska A. 2009. Modifications of spectrophotometric methods for total phosphorus determination in meat samples. Chem Pap 63: 47-54.
- Xiong YL, Kupski DR. 1999. Monitoring phosphate marinade penetration in tumbled chicken filets using a thin-slicing, dyetracing method. Poult Sci 78: 1048-1052. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.7.1048
- Young LL, Lyon CE. 1997. Effect of postchill aging and sodium tripolyphosphate on moisture binding properties, color, and warner-bratzler shear values of chicken breast meat. Poult Sci 76: 1587-1590. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.11.1587
- Tenhet V, Finne G, Nickelson R, Toloday D. 1981. Penetration of sodium tripolyphosphate into fresh and prefrozen peeled and deveined shrimp. J Food Sci 46: 344-349. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1981.tb04858.x
- Sriket P, Benjakul S, Visessanguan W, Kijroongrojana K. 2007. Comparative studies on chemical composition and thermal properties of black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) and white shrimp (Penaeus vannamei) meats. Food Chem 103: 1199-1207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.10.039
- Sundararajan S. 2010. Evaluation of green tea extract as a glazing material for shrimp frozen by cryogenic and air-blast freezing. MS Thesis. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, USA.
- Laura R, Garrido MS. 2002. Phosphate and shrimp-processing compounds improve taste, other product qualities. Global Aquaculture Advocate 2: 78-80.
- Rippen T, Sutton H, Lacey P, Lane R, Fisher R, Dupaul W. 1993. Functional, microbiological and sensory changes in sea scallops (Placopecten megallanicus) treated with sodium tripolyphosphate during iced storage. Presented at 18th Annual Conference Tropical and Subtropical Fisheries Technological Conference of the Americas. Williamsburg, VA, USA. p 51-71.
- Campden BRI Report. 2012. Review of polyphosphates as additives and testing methods for them in scallops and prawns. ISBN no. 978-1-906634-60-5.
- Gibson DM, Murray CK. 1973. Polyphosphates and fish: some chemical studies. Int J Food Sci Technol 8: 197-204.
- Crawford DL. 1980. Meat yield and shell removal functions of shrimp processing. Oregon State University Extension Marine Advisory Program. A Land Grant/Sea Grant Cooperative Special Report 597. Astoria, OR, USA.
- Unal SB, Erdogdu F, Ekiz Hİ, Ozdemir Y. 2004. Experimental theory, fundamentals and mathematical evaluation of phosphate diffusion in meats. J Food Eng 65: 263-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2004.01.024
- ) pp.00225142, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.9543