- Volume 52 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development of selective media for Enterococci
장구균 검출 배지 개발
- Chang, Dong-Ho (Department of Biological Science and Biotechnology, Hannam University) ;
- Yoon, Jun-Beom (Department of Biological Science and Biotechnology, Hannam University) ;
- Lee, Keun Heon (Humas Co., Ltd.) ;
- Park, Kyeong Ryang (Department of Biological Science and Biotechnology, Hannam University)
- 장동호 (한남대학교 대덕밸리캠퍼스 생명시스템과학과) ;
- 윤준범 (한남대학교 대덕밸리캠퍼스 생명시스템과학과) ;
- 이근헌 (주)휴마스) ;
- 박경량 (한남대학교 대덕밸리캠퍼스 생명시스템과학과)
- Received : 2015.12.17
- Accepted : 2016.01.15
- Published : 2016.03.31
An enterococci selective medium was developed to detect the presence of enterococci for use as a fecal contamination indicator. Among several media which have been known to detect enterococci, the following 9 different kinds of media were selected: Enterococci Confirmatory agar, Azide dextrose agar, Bromocresol-purple azide agar, Esculin bile agar, Citrate azide tween carbonate agar, KF Streptococcus agar, BROLACIN agar, Kanamycin esculin azide agar, and Membrane filter Enterococcus selective agar. Various components from the nine media were mixed to develop a more effective enterococcus selective medium. The newly developed medium named as 'Enterococcus Mixed medium' was more effective than the previous 9 media. Enterococci strains (Enterococcus avium KACC 10788, Enterococcus faecium KACC 11954, Enterococcus saccharolyticus KACC 10783, Enterococcus durans KACC 10787, Enterococcus faecalis KACC 11304, and Enterococcus hirae KACC 10779) and non-enterococci strains (Escherichia coli KACC 10005, Staphylococcus aureus subsp. aureus KACC 10768, and Bacillus subtilis KACC 10111) were used to test the new medium. As a result, the enterococci strains grew well on the Enterococcus Mixed medium whereas the non-enterococci strains did not grow well on it. Additionally, growth of enterococci with freshwater and seawater samples was observed to be good on the Enterococcus Mixed medium. The result of this study confirmed that the Enterococcus Mixed medium was effective in detecting the target enterococci.
Supported by : 한남대학교
- Allen, H.E., Minear, R.A., and Sues, M.J. 1982. Metal Ions, vol. 2, Chapter 2, pp. 43-168. In Suess, M.J. (ed.), Examination of Water for Pollution Control. A reference handbook-1982. Pergamon, Oxford, UK.
- Audicana, A., Perales, I., and Borrego, J.J. 1995. Modification of kanamycin-esculin-azide agar to improve selectivity in the enumeration of fecal streptococci from water samples. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61, 4178-4183.
- Bates, J. 1997. Epidemiology of vancomycin-resistant enterococci in the community and the relevance of farm animals to human infection. J. Hosp. Infect. 37 89-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0195-6701(97)90179-1
- Cohen, J. and Shuval, H.I. 1973. Coliforms, fecal coliforms, and fecal streptococci as indicators of water pollution. Water Air Soil Pollut. 2, 85-95. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00572392
- Cooper, R.C. and Danielson, R.E. 1997. Detection of bacterial pathogens in wastewater and sludge, pp. 222-230. In Hurst, C.J., Knudsen, G.R., McInerney, M.J., Stetzenbach, L.D., and Walter, M.V. (eds.), Manual of Environmental Microbiology-1997. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, USA.
- Emori, T.G. and Gaynes, R.P. 1993. An overview of nosocomial infections, including the role of the microbiology laboratory. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 6, 428-442. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.6.4.428
- Figueras, M.J., Inza, I., Polo, F., and Guarro, J. 1998. Evaluation of the oxolinic acid-esculin-azide medium for the isolation and enumeration of faecal streptococci in a routine monitoring programme for bathing waters. Can. J. Microbiol. 44, 998-1002. https://doi.org/10.1139/w98-096
- He, J.W. and Jiang, S. 2005. Quantification of enterococci and human adenoviruses in environmental samples by Real-Time PCR. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 71, 2250-2255. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.71.5.2250-2255.2005
- Kay, D., Jones, F., Wyer, M.D., Fleisher, J.M., Salmon, R.L., Godfree, A.F., Jacquotte, A.Z., and Shore, R. 1994. Predicting likelihood of gastroenteritis from sea bathing: results from randomised exposure. Lancet 344, 905-909. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(94)92267-5
- Lee, K.H., Kim, H.S., Kim, B.R., Lee, S.H., In, C.K., and Park, K.R. 2009. Fluorogenic and chromogenic assay for rapid detection of Escherichia coli and total coliform bacter. J. Korean Soc. Water Quality 25, 363-369.
- Noskin, G.A. 1997. Vancomycin-resistant enterococci: Clinical, microbiologic, and epidemiologic features. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 130, 14-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-2143(97)90054-8
- Perry, J.D., James, A.L., Morris, K.A., Oliver, M., Chilvers, K.F., Reed, R.H., and Gould, F.K. 2006. Evaluation of novel fluorogenic substrates for the detection of glycosidases in Escherichia coli and enterococci. J. Appl. Microbiol. 101, 977-985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2006.03018.x
- Sinton, L.W., Donnison, A.M., and Hastie, C.M. 1993a. Faecal streptococci as faecal pollution indicators: a review. Part I: Taxonomy and enumeration. N. Z. J. Mar. Freshwater Res. 27, 101-115. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330.1993.9516549
- Sinton, L.W., Donnison, A.M., and Hastie, C.M. 1993b. Faecal streptococci as faecal pollution indicators: a review. Part II: Sanitary significance, survival, and use. N. Z. J. Mar. Freshwater Res. 27, 117-137. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330.1993.9516550
- Slanetz, L.W. and Bartley, C.H. 1957. Numbers of Enterococci in water, sewage, and feces determined by the membrane filter technique with an improved medium. J. Bacteriol. 74, 591-595.
- Sneath, P.H.A., Mair, N.S., Sharpe, M.E., and Holt, J.G. 1986. Grampositive cocci, pp. 999-1103. Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology. vol. 2. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
- Toranzos, G.A. and McFeters, G.A. 1997. Detection of indicator microorganisms in environmental freshwaters and drinking waters, pp. 184-194. In Hurst, C.J., Knudsen, G.R., McInerney, M.J., Stetzenbach, L.D., and Walter, M.V. (eds.), Manual of environmental Microbiology-1997, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, USA.
- Volterra, L., Bonadonna, L., and Aulicino, F.A. 1986. Fecal streptococci recoveries in different marine areas. Water Air Soil Pollut. 29, 403-413.
- Yoon, T.H., Lee, H., Lee, S.J., Yeo, I.H., and Eom, S.W. 2010. Detection of Enterococci and their vancomycin resistance in drinking spring-water. Korean J. KSEE 32, 979-985.