- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Performance Study of Membrane Capacitive Deionization Installed with Sulfonated Poly(ether ether ketone) and Poly(vinyl amine)/poly(vinyl alcohol) Membranes
Sulfonated Poly(ether ether ketone) 및 Poly(vinyl amine)/poly(vinyl alcohol) 혼합막이 장착된 막결합형 축전식 탈염공정의 성능 연구
- Kim, Ka young (Department of Advanced Materials and Chemical Engineering, Hannam University) ;
- Rhim, Ji Won (Department of Advanced Materials and Chemical Engineering, Hannam University)
- Received : 2016.02.05
- Accepted : 2016.02.24
- Published : 2016.02.29
In this study, sulfonated poly(ether ether ketone) (SPEEK) as cation exchange membrane and blended and crosslinked poly(vinyl amine) (PVAm) with poly(vinyl alcohol) (PVA) membrane as anion exchange membrane were used and then the performance experiments of the membrane capacitive deionization (MCDI) installed with both membranes were carried out. The newly prepared anion exchange membrane were characterized through water content, ion exchange capacity and FT-IR. The crosslinking time of 3 h to 5 h indicated that the salt removal was reduced from 81.3, 65.7% to 53.8%. The effect of PVAm contents from 40, 60, to 80% on the salt removal was shown 81.3, 75.2 and 37.7%, respectively. As a result, it was concluded that the crosslinking time and the content of PVAm had an influence on the salt removal efficiency.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- J. S. Koo, N. S. Kwak, and T. S. Hwang, "Synthesis and properties of nonfluoro aminated Poly(vinylbenzyl chloride-co-ethyl methacrylateco-styrene) anion exchange membranes for MCDI process", Polymer(Korea), 36, 564 (2012).
- M. W. Ryoo and G. Seo, "Improvement in capacitive deionization function of activated carbon cloth by titania modification", Water Research, 37, 1527 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(02)00531-6
- B. E. Conway, Electrochemical Supercapacitors: Scientific Fundamentals and Technological Applications, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York (1999).
- J. A. Lim, N. S. Park, J. S. Park, and J. H. Choi, "Fabrication and characterization of a porous carbon electrode for desalination of brackish water", Desalination, 238, 37 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2008.01.033
- J. C. Farmer, D. V. Fix, G. V. Mark, R. W. Pekala, and J. F. Poco, "Capacitive Deionization of NaCl and NaNO3 aqueous solutions with carbon aerogel electrodes", J. Electrochem. Soc., 143, 159 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1836402
- K. W. Kang and T. S. Hwang, "Synthesis and characteristics of partially fluorinated poly(vinylidene fluroide)(PVDF) cation exchange membrane via direct sulfonation", Membr. J., 25, 406 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2015.25.5.406
- Y. J. Kim and J. H. Choi, "Desalination of brackish water by capacitive deionization system combined with ion-exchange membrane", Appl. Chem. Eng., 21, 87 (2010).
- D. D. Caudle, J. H. Tucker, J. L. Cooper, B. B. Arnold, and A. Papastamataki, Electrochemical demineralization of water with carbon Electrodes, Research Report, Oklahoma Univ. Research Institute (1966).
- D. J. Kim and S. Y. Nam, "Development and application trend of bipolar membrane for electrodialysis", Membr. J., 23, 319 (2013).
- J. G. Kim, S. H. Lee, C. H. Ryu, and G. J. Hwang, "Preparation of cation exchange membrane using polybenzimidazole and its characteristic", Membr. J., 22, 265 (2012).
- J. H. Yeo and J. H. Choi, "Enhancement of selective removal od nitrate ions from a mixture of anion wsing a carbin electrode coated with ion-exchange resin powder", Appl. Chem. Eng., 24, 49 (2013).
- P. M. Biesheuvel and A. van der Wal, "Membrane capacitive deionization", J. Membr. Sci., 346, 256 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2009.09.043
- H. Strathmann, Ion-exchange Membrane Separation Processes, Elsevier, Amsterdam (2004).
K. T. Park, J. H. Chun, D. W. Choi, and S. H. Kim, "A characteriztion study on Nafion/
$ZrO_2-TiO_2$composite membranes for PEMFC operation a thigh temperature and low humidity", Trans. Korean Hydrog. New Energy Soc., 22, 60 (2011).
- F. Wang, M. Hickner, Y. S. Kim, T. A. Zawodzinski, and J. E. Mcgrath, "Direct polymerization of sulfonated poly (arylene ether sulfone) random (statistical) copolymers: candidates for new proton exchange membranes", J. Membr. Sci., 197, 231 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-7388(01)00620-2
- F. Karas, J. Hnat, M. Paidar, J. Schauer, and K. Bouzek, "Determination of the ion-exchange capacity of anion-selective membranes", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 39, 5054 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.01.074
- P. M. Biesheuvel, B. van Limpt, and A. van der Wal, "Dynamic adsorption/desorption process model for capacitive deionization", J. Phys. Chem. C., 113, 5636 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1021/jp809644s
L. Deng, T. J. Kim, and M. B. Hagg, "Facilitated transport of
$CO_2$in novel PVAm/PVA blend membrane", J. Membr. Sci., 340, 154 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2009.05.019
- B. Smitha, S. Sridhar, and A. A. Khan, "Synthesis and characterization of poly(vinyl alcohol)-based membranes for direct methanol fuel cell", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 95, 1154 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.20982
- M. Krumova, D. Lopez, R. Benavente, C. Mijangos, and J. M. Perena, "Effect of crosslinking on the mechanical and thermal properties of poly(vinyl alcohol)", Polymer, 41, 9265 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(00)00287-1