- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Golf Green Slope Estimation Using a Cross Laser Structured Light System and an Accelerometer
- Pham, Duy Duong (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Ulsan) ;
- Dang, Quoc Khanh (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Ulsan) ;
- Suh, Young Soo (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2015.04.08
- Accepted : 2015.09.30
- Published : 2016.03.01
In this paper, we propose a method combining an accelerometer with a cross structured light system to estimate the golf green slope. The cross-line laser provides two laser planes whose functions are computed with respect to the camera coordinate frame using a least square optimization. By capturing the projections of the cross-line laser on the golf slope in a static pose using a camera, two 3D curves’ functions are approximated as high order polynomials corresponding to the camera coordinate frame. Curves’ functions are then expressed in the world coordinate frame utilizing a rotation matrix that is estimated based on the accelerometer’s output. The curves provide some important information of the green such as the height and the slope’s angle. The curves estimation accuracy is verified via some experiments which use OptiTrack camera system as a ground-truth reference.
Golf slope estimation;Accelerometer;Structured light
- L. Zhang, Q. Ye, W. Yang, and J. Jiao, “Robust Weld Line Detection and Tracking via Spatial-Temporal Cascaded Hidden Markov Models and Cross Structured Light,” IEEE Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 6, pp. 742-752, 2014.
- Tom Botterill, Steven Mills, and Richard Green, “Design and calibration of a hybrid computer vision and structured light 3D imaging system,” presented at the International Conference on Automation, Robotics and Applications, Wellington, New Zealand, 2011.
- Din-Chang Tseng and Zen Chen, “Computing Location and Orientation of Polyhedral Surfaces Using a Laser-Based Vision System,” IEEE Transaction on Robotics and Automation, vol. 7, 1991.
- Ben Thomas and A. Jothilingam, “Object Identification Based on Structured Light Reconstruction and CAD Based Matching,” International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 3, 2014.
- R.J Valkenburg and A.M. Mclvor, “Accurate 3D measurement using a structured light system,” Image and Vision Computing, vol. 16, pp. 99-100, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0262-8856(97)00053-X
- W.Van Lier, J.Van Der Kamp, and G.J.P. Savelsbergh, “Gaze in golf putting: effects of slope,” International Journal of Sport Psychology, vol. 41, pp. 160-176, 2010.
- Heiko Hecht, Dennis Shaffer, Behrang Keshavarz, and Mariagrace Flint, “Slope estimation and viewing distance of the observer,” Attention Perception & Psychophysics, vol. 76, pp. 1729-1738, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3758/s13414-014-0702-7
- Inclinometers: Mechanical & Electronic. Available: http://riekerinc.com/Inclinometers.htm
- Kenichi Kanatani, Statistical Optimization for Geometric Computation: Dover Publications, 1996.
- Gary Bradski and Adrian Kaehler, Learning OpenCV: O’Reilly Media, 2011.
- Zhengyou Zhang, “A Flexible New Technique for Camera Calibration,” IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 22, pp. 1330-1334, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.888718
- Richard Hartley and Andrew Zisserman, Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Jorge Lobo and Jorge Dias, “Relative Pose Calibration Between Visual and Inertial Sensors,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 26, pp. 561-575, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/0278364907079276
- Daesik Kim, Seongsoo Lee, Hyunwoo Kim, and Sukhan Lee, “Wide-Angle Laser Structured Light System Calibration with a Planar Object,” presented at the International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, KINTEX, Gyeongki-do, Korea, 2010.
- Harold D. Black, “A passive system for determining the attitude of a satellite,” AIAA Journal, vol. 2, pp. 1350-1351, 1964. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.2555
- J. R. D'Errico. (2006, August 26). Surface Fitting Uisng Gridfit. Available: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/8998-surface-fitting-using-gridfit
- Edwin K. P. Chong and Stanislaw H. Zak, An Introduction to Optimization. New York, The USA: John Wiley & Sons, inc., 2001.
- A. Dunsmuir. (2011). Height of cut: Tread with caution when comparing golf courses. Available: http://www.golfclubmanagement.net/2011/12/height-of-cut-tread-with-caution-when-comparing-two-golf-courses/
- Robust laser stripe extraction for three-dimensional reconstruction based on a cross-structured light sensor vol.56, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.56.000823