- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Energy Saving for Separately Excited DC Motor Drive via Model Based Method
- Udomsuk, Sasiya (Power electronics, Energy, machines and Control Research Group, School of Electrical Engineering, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Areerak, Kongpol (Power electronics, Energy, machines and Control Research Group, School of Electrical Engineering, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Areerak, Kongpan (Power electronics, Energy, machines and Control Research Group, School of Electrical Engineering, Suranaree University of Technology)
- Received : 2014.08.06
- Accepted : 2015.09.09
- Published : 2016.03.01
The model based method for energy saving of the separately excited DC motor drive system is proposed in the paper. The accurate power loss model is necessary for this method. Therefore, the adaptive tabu search algorithm is applied to identify the parameters in the power loss model. The field current values for minimum power losses at any load torques and speeds are calculated by the proposed method. The rule based controller is used to control the field current and speed of the motor. The experimental results confirm that the model based method can successfully provide the energy saving for separately excited DC motor drive. The maximum value of the energy saving is 48.61% compared with the conventional drive method.
Adaptive tabu search;Energy saving;Model based method;Rule based controller;Separately excited DC motor
- S. J. Chapman, Electric Machinery Fundamentals. 3rd ed., Boston: McGraw, 1999.
- A. M. Zaki, A. A. El-Sattar, S. Wahsh, H. M. Mashaly, and S. I. Amer, “Efficiency-Optimized Speed Control for a Separately-Excited DC Motor Using Adaptive Neuroncontroller,” IEEE International Conference on Power Electronic Drives and Energy Systems for Industrial Growth., pp. 421-426, 1998.
- A. Kusko, and D. Galler, “Control means for minimization of losses in ac and dc motor drives,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Application., vol. IA-19, pp. 561-570, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1983.4504256
- C. D. Angelo, G. Bossio, and G. Garcia, “Loss minimization in dc motor drives,” International Conference Electric Machines and Drives (IEMD’99), pp. 701-703, May 1999.
- F. F. Bernal, A. G. Cerrada, and R. Faure, “Model-based loss minimization for dc and ac vector-controlled motors including core saturation,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Application., vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 755-763, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.845050
- R. H. Issa, “Separately excited dc motor optimal efficiency controller,” International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT).vol. 3, pp. 533-539, July 2013.
- M. A. Sheta, V. Agarwal, and P. S. V. Nataraj, “A new energy optimal control scheme for a separately excited dc motor based incremental motion drive,” International Journal of Automation and Computing., vol. 6(3), pp. 267-276, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11633-009-0267-4
- D. Puangdownreong, K-N. Areerak, A. Sri-kaew, S. Sujijorn, and P. Totarong, “System Identification via Adaptive Tabu Search,” IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT’02)., pp. 915-920, 2002.
- J. Kluabwang, D. Puangdownreong, and S. Sujitjorn, “Multipath adaptive tabu search for a vehicle control problem,” Journal of Applied Mathematics., vol. 2012, Article ID 731623, 20 pages, 2012.
- D. Puangdownreong, T. Kulworawanichpong, and S. Sujitjorn, “Finite convergence and performance evaluation of adaptive tabu search,” in Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems, vol. 3215 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, M. G. Negoita, R. J. Howlett, and L. C. Jain, Ed. Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 710-717, 2004.
- T. Kulworawanichpong, D. Puangdownreong, and S. Sujitjorn, “Finite convergence of adaptive tabu search,” ASEAN Journal on Science and Technology for Development., vol. 21, no. 2-3, pp. 103-115, 2004.
- D. Puangdownreong, S. Sujitjorn, and T. Kulworawanichpong, “Convergence analysis of adaptive tabu search,” Science Asia Journal of the Science Society of Thailand., vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 183-190, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2306/scienceasia1513-1874.2004.30.183
- S. Sujitjorn, J. Kluabwang, D. Puangdown-reong, and N. Sarasiri, “Adaptive tabu search and management agent,” The ECTI Trans. on Electrical Engineering, Electronics, and Communications., vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- S. Sujitjorn, T. Kulworawanichpong, D. Puangdownreong, and K-N. Areerak, “Adaptive Tabu Search and Applications in Engineering Design,” in Integrated Intelligent Systems for Engineering Design, X. F. Zha, and R. J. Howlett, Ed. The Netherlands: IOS Press, pp. 233-257, 2006.
- S. Sujitjorn, “Concepts of Design and Implementation of a Real-Time Expert Controller,” The 1991 engineering technology symposium and exhibition, Bangkok., pp. 693-703, Oct. 31-Nov. 3, 1991.
- V. D. Toro, Basic Electric Machines, New Jersy: Prentice Hall, 1990.
- S. A. Nasar, Electrical Machines and Power Systems, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1995.