- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
D-CRLH Based Band Rejection Filter using a Concavo-Convex Coupled CPW Transmission Line
- Seo, Soo-Duk (Innertron R&D Lab, Innertron Inc.) ;
- Cho, Hak-Rae (Innertron R&D Lab, Innertron Inc.) ;
- Yang, Doo-Yeong (Dept. of Telecommunication Engineering, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2015.08.07
- Accepted : 2015.11.01
- Published : 2016.03.01
In this paper, the use of a dual composite right/left-handed coplanar waveguide (CPW) transmission line is proposed for the design of a band rejection filter. The notch property of the filter is achieved by combining the convex signal line with the shorted concave meander line, and the equivalent circuit model is extracted from the geometry of the unit cell for organizing the band rejection property. Then the equivalent parameters of the unit cell are analyzed to identify those behaviors. And the dispersion characteristics and energy distributions are simulated. In the end, the band rejection filter is manufactured by cascading two proposed unit cells. We show that the measurement result for the resonant frequency demonstrates good agreement with the simulation result and the band rejection filter provides a rejection performance of 17.5 dB at the stopband frequency ranging from 869 MHz to 894 MHz.
D-CRLH;Band rejection filter;Notch property;Convex signal line;Shorted concave meander line
- V. Veselago, “The Electrodynamics of Substances with Simultaneously Negative Values of ε and μ,” Soviet Physics Uspekhi, vol. 10, no. 4, Feb. pp. 509-514, 1968. https://doi.org/10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
- D. R. Smith, W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser and S. Schultz, “Composite Medium with Simultaneously Negative Permeability and Permittivity,” Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 84, no. 18, pp. 4184-4187, May 2000. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
- C. Caloz and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., p. 15, 2006.
- C. Caloz and T. Itoh, “Novel Microwave Devices and Structures Based on the Transmission Line Approach of Meta-materials,” Microwave Symposium Digest, IEEE MTT-S International, vol. 1, pp. 195-198, June 2003.
- A. Lai, T. Itoh and C. Caloz, “Composite Right/Left-Handed Transmission Line Metamaterials,” IEEE Microwave Magazine, pp. 34-50, Sept. 2004.
- F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, F. Inigo-Villacorta and D. Segovia-Vargas, “Low Cost Approach Based on an Eigen-frequency Method to Obtain the Dispersion Diagram in CRLH Structure,” IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Lett, vol. 17, no.1, pp.13-15, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2006.887241
- Qi Zhu and Shan-Jia Xu, “Composite Right/Left Handed Transmission Line Metamaterials and Applications,” Meta. 2008 International workshop, pp. 72-75, Nov. 2008.
- C. Caloz, “Dual Composite Right/Left-handed (D-CRLH) Transmission Line Metamaterial,” IEEE Microw. Wireless Component Lett., vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 585-587, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2006.884773
- X. Hu, P. Zhang and S. He, “Dual Structure of Composite Right/Left Handed Transmission Line,” Proc. Biophotonics, Nonophotonics and Materials, Rome, pp. 529-532, Oct. 2006.
- X. Hu, P. Zhang, “A Novel Dual-band Balun Based on the Dual Structure of Composite Right/Left Handed Transmission Line,” J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci. A, vol. 1, pp. 529-532, 2006.
- W. Tong, Z. Hu, H. Zhang, C. Caloz and A. Rennings, “Study and Realization of Dual-composite Right/Left-Handed Coplanar Waveguide Metameterial in MMIC Technology,” IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 731-736, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map:20070180
- V. Gonzalez-Posadas, J. L. Jimenez-Martin, A. Parra-Cerrada, L. E. Garcia-Munoz and D. Segovia-Vargas, “Dual-composite Right-left-handed Transmission Lines for the Design of Compact Diplexers,” IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 982-990, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map.2009.0571
- H. Lee and T. Itoh, “Isolation Circuits Based on Metamaterial Transmission Lines for Multiplexer,” Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 13, no.3, pp. 141-150, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2013.13.3.141
- Cheng P. Wen, “Coplanar Waveguide: a Surface Strip Transmission Line Suitable for Nonreciprocal Gyromagnetic Device Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1087-1090, Dec. 1969. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1969.1127105
- Rainee N. Simons, Coplanar Waveguide Circuits, Components, and Systems, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., pp. 11-86, 171-285, 2001.
- A. Lai, Left-handed Metameterials for Microwave Engineering Applications, Application Workshops for High-performance Electronic Design Guide, Ansoft HFSS.
- David M. Pozar, Microwave Engineering 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., pp. 56-103, 474-478, 1998.
- S. S. Bedair and I. Wolff, “Fast Accurate and Simple Approximate Analytic Formulas for Calculating the Parameters of Supported Coplanar Waveguides for (M)MIC’s,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 41-48, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.108321