- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Detection of Stator Winding Inter-Turn Short Circuit Faults in Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors and Automatic Classification of Fault Severity via a Pattern Recognition System
- CIRA, Ferhat (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Dicle University) ;
- ARKAN, Muslum (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Inönü University) ;
- GUMUS, Bilal (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Dicle University)
- Received : 2014.10.31
- Accepted : 2015.11.18
- Published : 2016.03.01
In this study, automatic detection of stator winding inter-turn short circuit fault (SWISCFs) in surface-mounted permanent magnet synchronous motors (SPMSMs) and automatic classification of fault severity via a pattern recognition system (PRS) are presented. In the case of a stator short circuit fault, performance losses become an important issue for SPMSMs. To detect stator winding short circuit faults automatically and to estimate the severity of the fault, an artificial neural network (ANN)-based PRS was used. It was found that the amplitude of the third harmonic of the current was the most distinctive characteristic for detecting the short circuit fault ratio of the SPMSM. To validate the proposed method, both simulation results and experimental results are presented.
Condition monitoring;Digital signal processing;Fault detection;Fault severity classification;Pattern recognition system;Permanent magnet synchronous motors
- G.B. Kliman, R.A. Koegl, J. Stein, R.D. Endicott and M.W. Madden, “Noninvasive Detection of Broken Rotor Bars in Operating Induction Motors” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversions, vol. 3, pp. 873-879, December 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.9364
- S. Nandi, H.A. Toliyat and X. Li, “Condition Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis of Electrical Machines-A review” IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversions, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 719-729, March 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2005.847955
- A. Siddique, G. S. Yadava and B. Singh, “A Review of Stator Fault Monitoring Techniques of Induction Motors” IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversions, vol. 20, pp. 106-114, March 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2004.837304
- M. H. Benbouzid, “A Review of Induction Motors Signature Analysis as a Medium for Fault Detection” IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, vol. 47, pp. 984-993, October 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.873206
- Y. E. Zhongming and W.U. Bin, “A Review on Induction Motor Online Fault Diagnosis” IEEE IPEMC '00, vol. 3, pp. 1353-1385, 2000.
- W. Zhou, T. G. Habetler, and R.G. Harley, “Incipient Bearing Fault Detection via Motor Stator Current Noise Cancellation Using Wiener Filter” IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application, vol. 45, pp. 1309-1317, July 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2023566
- W. Zhou, T. G. Habetler, and R.G. Harley, “Bearing Fault Detection via Motor Stator Current Noise Cancellation and Statistical Control” IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, vol. 55, no.12, pp. 4260-4469, December 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2005018
- A. V. Oppenheim and R.W. Schafer, Discrete - Time Signal Processing, New York: Prentice-Hall, 1989.
- G. Stone and J. Kapler, “Stator Winding Monitoring” IEEE Transaction on Industrial Applications Magazine, September 1978.
- J. Douglas, “Hydro Generator Failure”, “IEEE Power Engineering Review”, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 4-6, November 1988.
- T. William Thomson and R. J. Gilmore, “Motor Current Sig-nature Analysis to Detect the Faults in the Induction Motor Drives” AMEC Upstream oil & gas Scotland, pp. 145-156, 2003.
- N. Mehala, R. Dahiya, “Motor Current Signature Analysis and its Applications in Induction Motor Fault Diagnosis” International Journal of Systems Applıcatıons, Engıneerıng & Development Volume 2, Issue 1, 2007.
- M. Messaoudi, L. Sbita, “Multiple Faults Diagnosis in Induction Motor Using the MCSA Method” International Journal of Signal and Image Processing Vol.1, 2010
- M. A. Awadallah and M. M. Morcos, “Application of AI tools in fault diagnosis of electrical machines and drives an overview,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 18, pp. 245-251, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.811739
- H. A. Toliyat, S. P. Waikar, and T. A. Lipo, “Analysis and simulation of five-phase synchronous reluctance machines including third harmonic of airgap MMF,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 34, pp. 332-339, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.663476
- H. A. Toliyat and T. A. Lipo, “Transient analysis of cage induction machines under stator, rotor bar and end ring faults,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 10, pp. 241-247, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.391888
- J. Penman, H.G. Sedding, B.A. Lloyd, W.T. Fink, “Detection and location of interturn short circuits in the stator windings of operating motors”, IEEE Trans. Energy Convers. 9 pp. 652-658. 1999.
- M.A. Cash, T.G. Habetler, G.B. Kliman, “Insulation failure prediction in AC machines using line-neutral voltages”, IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 34 pp. 1234-1239. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.738983
- J.A. Haylock, B.C. Mecrow, A. G Jack, D.J. Atkinson, “Operation of fault tolerant machines with winding failures”, IEEE Trans. Energy Convers. 14 pp. 1490-1495, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.815095
- D. Muthumuni, P.G. McLaren, E. Dirks, V. Pathirana, “A synchronous machine model to analyze internal faults”, in: Conference Record Ind. Appl. Conference, 36th IAS Annual Meeting, vol. 3, pp. 1595-1600, 2001.
- S.M. Halpin, C.A. Gross, “Time domain solutions for faulted power systems using detailed synchronous machine models”, in: 22nd Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, pp. 607-611, March 1990.
- D.L. Brooks, S.M. Halpin, “An improved fault analysis algorithm including detailed synchronous machine models and magnetic saturation”, J. Electr. Power Syst. Res. 42, pp. 3-9, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(96)01168-6
- B.G. Gu, J.H. Choi and I.S. Jung, “Development and Analysis of Interturn Short Fault Model of PMSMs With Series and Parallel Winding Connections” IEEE Transactions On Power Electronics, Vol. 29, No. 4, April 2014.
- J.H. Choi, B.G. Gu and C.Y. Won, “Modeling and Analysis of PMSMs under Inter Turn Short Faults” J Electr Eng Technol Vol. 8, pp. 1243-1250, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.5.1243
- L. Romeral, J. C. Urresty, J. R. Riba Ruiz, and A. Garcia Espinosa, "Modeling of Surface-Mounted Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors With Stator Winding Interturn Faults," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics,, vol. 58, pp. 1576-1585, 2011.
- J.C. Urresty, J.R. Riba, L. Romeral, “Application of the zero-sequence voltage component to detect stator winding inter-turn faults in PMSMs”, Electric Power Systems Research, pp. 38-44, 2012.
- J. Urresty, J. Riba, L. Romeral, J. Rosero, J. Serna, “Stator Short Circuits Detection in PMSM by means of Hilbert-Huang transform and energy calculation, Diagnostics for Electric Machines, Power Electronics and Drives”, SDEMPED IEEE International Symposium on August-Sept. 2009.
- J. Rosero, J. Romeral, “Simulation and Fault Detection in PMSM under Dynamic Conditions”, Cedrat Flux Solutions & Mechatronic Products, vol. 57, January 2009.
- B. M. Ebrahimi, J. Faiz, “Feature Extraction for Short-Circuit Fault Detection in Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motors Using Stator-Current Monitoring”, IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, Vol. 25, No. 10, October 2010.
- Q. Wu, S. Nandi, “Fast Single-Turn Sensitive Stator winding inter-turn Fault Detection of Induction Machines Based on Positive- and Negative-Sequence Third Harmonic Components of Line Currents”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 46, No. 3, May/June 2010.
- H. Saavedra, J. C. Urresty, J. R. Riba, L. Romeral, “Detection of interturn faults in PMSMs with different winding configurations”, Energy Conversion and Management, pp. 534-542, 2014
- T. R. Jawad A. Farooq, A. Djerdir, A. Miraoui, “Modelling and simulation of stator winding interturn faults in permanent magnet synchronous motors,” The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, vol. 27, pp. 9, 2008.
- R. M. Tallam, T. G. Habetler, and R. G. Harley, “Transient model for induction machines with stator winding turn faults,” Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 38, pp. 632-637, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2002.1003411
- Turkoğlu, İ., “An Intelligent pattern recognition for nonstationary signals based on the time-frequency entropies”, PhD Thesis, Elazığ, Turkey, 2002.
- An Intelligent Gear Fault Diagnosis Methodology Using a Complex Wavelet Enhanced Convolutional Neural Network vol.10, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ma10070790
- The influence of inter-turn short circuit fault considering loop current on the electromagnetic field of permanent magnet synchronous motor vol.36, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1108/COMPEL-09-2016-0380
- Noncontact Surface Roughness Estimation Using 2D Complex Wavelet Enhanced ResNet for Intelligent Evaluation of Milled Metal Surface Quality vol.8, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/app8030381