- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Model Predictive Control for Shunt Active Power Filter in Synchronous Reference Frame
- Al-Othman, A.K. (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, College of Technological Studies) ;
- AlSharidah, M.E. (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, College of Technological Studies) ;
- Ahmed, Nabil A. (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, College of Technological Studies) ;
- Alajmi, Bader. N. (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, College of Technological Studies)
- Received : 2015.08.15
- Accepted : 2015.11.10
- Published : 2016.03.01
This paper presents a model predictive control for shunt active power filters in synchronous reference frame using space vector pulse-width modulation (SVPWM). The three phase load currents are transformed into synchronous rotating reference frame in order to reduce the order of the control system. The proposed current controller calculates reference current command for harmonic current components in synchronous frame. The fundamental load current components are transformed into dc components revealing only the harmonics. The predictive current controller will add robustness and fast compensation to generate commands to the SVPWM which minimizes switching frequency while maintaining fast harmonic compensation. By using the model predictive control, the optimal switching state to be applied to the next sampling time is selected. The filter current contains only the harmonic components, which are the reference compensating currents. In this method the supply current will be equal to the fundamental component of load current and a part of the current at fundamental frequency for losses of the inverter. Mathematical analysis and the feasibility of the suggested approach are verified through simulation results under steady state and transient conditions for non-linear load. The effectiveness of the proposed controller is confirmed through experimental validation.
- B. K. Bose, "Energy, environment, and advances in power electronics," in Industrial Electronics, 2000. ISIE 2000. Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE International Symposium on, 2000.
- H. Bittencourt, G. L. Tavares and L. Lopes, “Investigation and Mitigation of the Amplification of the Harmonic Current to the Filtering System of an Aluminum Smelter,” Proc. of the oceedings of the 6th WSEAS Int. Conference on Power Systems, Lisbon, Portugal, September pp. 183-188, sep. 2006.
- X. Wu, S. K. Panda, and J. Xu, “Analysis and Control of the Output Instantaneous Power for Three Phase PWM Boost Rectifier Under Unbalanced Supply Voltage Conditions,” The IEEE 32nd Annual Ind. Electron Conference, IECON 2006- , pp. 1-6, 2006.
- M. Maksić, D. Matvoz, J. Kosmač, and I. Papič, “Circuit breaker switching transients at arc furnace installation,” Proc. of Int. Conference on Power Systems Transients (IPST2009), Kyoto, Japan June 3-6, 2009.
- Z. Li, Y. Li, P. Wang, H. Zhu, C. Liu, and W. Xu, “Control of Three-Phase Boost-Type PWM Rectifier in Stationary Frame Under Unbalanced Input Voltage,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 2521-2530, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2049030
- S. Chacko and N. Goel, “Voltage Sag mitigation in Electric Arc Furnace with D-STATCOM,” Int. Electrical Engineering Journal (IEEJ), vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 536-542, 2011.
- “IEEE Trial-Use Standard Definitions for the Measurement of Electric Power Quantities Under Sinusoidal, Non-sinusoidal, Balanced, or Unbalanced Conditions,” IEEE Std 1459-2000, 2000.
- E. Emanuel, “Summary of IEEE standard 1459: definitions for the measurement of electric power quantities under sinusoidal, nonsinusoidal, balanced, or unbalanced conditions,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 869-876, May-June 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.827452
- D. Rivas, L. Moran, L.W. Dixon, and J. R. Espinoza, “Improving passive filter compensation performance with active techniques,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 161-170, Feb. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.807658
- C. Panoiu, I. Baciu, M. Panoiu, and C. Cuntan, “Simulation results on the currents harmonics mitigation on the railway station line feed using a data acquisition system,” WSEAS Trans. on Electron., vol. 4, no. 10, October 2007.
- D. D. Reljic, V. V. Vasic, and D. V. Oros, "Power factor correction and harmonics mitigation based on phase shifting approach," in Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (EPE/PEMC), 2012 15th International, 2012.
- M. F. Schlecht and B. A. Miwa, "Active power factor correction for switching power supplies," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 273, 281, Oct. 1987.
- H. Akagi, Y. Kanazawa, and A. Nabae, “Instantaneous Reactive Power Compensators Comprising Switching Devices without Energy Storage Components,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 625-630, May 1984.
- M. El-Habrouk, M. K. Darwish, and P. Mehta, "Active power filters: a review," Proc. of IEE Electric Power Applic. vol. 147, no. 5, pp. 403, 413, Sep. 2000.
- E. Ozdemir, M. Ucar, M. Kesler, and M. Kale, “A Simplified Control Algorithm for Shunt Active Power Filter Without Load and Filter Current Measurement,” Proc. of the 32nd IEEE Ind. Electron Annual Conference IECON 2006, pp. 2599-2604, Nov.2006.
- J. Chen, F. Liu, and S. Mei, “Passivity-based H/sub/spl infin//control for APF in three-phase four-wire distribution power systems,” IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, Montreal, Canada, 2006.
- H. Rui, W. Jian, H. Zhihao, X. Dianguo, and H. Ke, “A research on control strategy of APF combined with TSC,” Proc. of the 7th Int. Power Electron. and Motion Control Conference (IPEMC), pp. 2814-2818, 2012.
- F. Shaosheng and W. Yaonan, “Fuzzy model predictive control for active power filter,” Electric Utility Deregulation, Restructuring and Power Technologies, 2004. (DRPT 2004). Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conference, vol. 1, no. 5-8, pp. 295-300, Apr. 2004.
- W. Xuhong and H. Yigang, “Fuzzy Neural Network based Predictive Control for Active Power Filter,” Proc. of Int. Power System Technology Conference, PowerCon 2006. pp. 1-5, Oct. 2006.
- R. Mohanty and A. K. Kapoor, "Performance evaluation of HCC & SVPWM current controllers for shunt APF under fault conditions," Proc. of Int. conference on Power Electronics (IICPE), pp.1,8, 28-30 Jan. 2011.
- N. Mendalek and K. Al-Haddad, “Modeling and nonlinear control of shunt active power filter in the synchronous reference frame,” Proc. of Ninth Int. Conference in Harmonics and Quality of Power, pp. 30-35, vol.1, pp.30,35 vol.1, Orlando, USA, 2000.
- W. Xiao-gang, X. Yun-xiang, and S. Ding-xin, “Simplified model predictive control for a shunt active power filter,” Proc. of IEEE Power Electron. Specialists Conference, PESC, pp. 3279-3283, 2008.
- S. da Silva, A. F. Neto, S. Cervantes, A. Goedtel, and C. F. Nascimento, “Synchronous reference frame based controllers applied to shunt active power filters in three-phase four-wire systems,” Proc. of IEE of Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 832-837, Mar. 2010.
- Haithem Abu-Rub,Jaroslaw Guzin´ski, Zbigniew Krzeminski, and Hamid A. Toliyat, “Predictive Current Control of Voltage-Source Inverters”, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 585-591, June 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.825364
- Patricio Cortés, Marian P. Kazmierkowski, Ralph M. Kennel, Daniel E. Quevedo, and José Rodríguez, “Predictive Control in Power Electronics and Drives”, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, no.12, pp. 4312-4324, Dec., 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2007480
- Q. Zeng and L. Chang, “An advanced SVPWM-based predictive current controller for three-phase inverters in distributed generation systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 1235-1246, March. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907674
- P. Zanchetta, D. B. Gerry, V. G. Monopoli, J. C. Clare, and P.W. Wheeler, “Predictive current control for multilevel active rectifiers with reduced switching frequency,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 163-172, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.903939
- M. A. Perez, P. Cortes, and J. Rodriguez, “Predictive control algorithm technique for multilevel symmetric cascaded H-bridge inverters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 4354-4361, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2006948
- G. Papafotiou, J. Kley, K.G. Papadopoulos, P. Bohren, and M. Morari.Model predictive direct torque control-part II: Implementation and experimental evaluation”, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1906-1915, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2007032
- M. S. Hamad, M. I. Masoud, and B. W. Williams, "Medium-Voltage 12-Pulse Converter: Output Voltage Harmonic Compensation Using a Series APF", IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 43, 52, Jan. 2014.
- F. Zobaa, “Optimal Multiobjective Design of Hybrid Active Power Filters Considering a Distorted Environment,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 107-114, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2244539
- C.-K. Lin, T.-H. Liu, J.-t. Yu, L.-C. Fu, and C.-F. Hsiao, “Model-Free Predictive Current Control for Interior Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motor Drives Based on Current Difference Detection Technique”, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 64, no. 2, pp 667-681, Feb. 2014.
- J. Rodriguez, J. Pontt, C. A. Silva, P. Correa, P. Lezana, P. Cortes, and U. Ammann, “Predictive current control of a voltage source inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 495-503, Feb. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.888802
- P. Acuna, L. Moran, M. Rivera, J. Dixon, J.; Rodriguez, J. Improved Active Power Filter Performance for Renewable Power Generation Systems”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 687-694, Feb. 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2257854
- P. Acuna, L. Moran, M. Rivera, R. Aguilera, R. Burgos, V. G. Agelidis, “A Single-Objective Predictive Control Method for a Multivariable Single-Phase Three-Level NPC Converter-Based Active Power Filter”, IEEE trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 4598-4607, July 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2393556
- M. Vatani, M. Hovd and M. Molinas, "Finite Control Set Model Predictive Control of a shunt active power filter," Proc. of Twenty-Eighth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2013, pp. 2156-2161, USA, 2013.
- Improved ADALINE Harmonics Extraction Algorithm for Boosting Performance of Photovoltaic Shunt Active Power Filter under Dynamic Operations vol.11, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.6.1714