- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Design Considerations of Resonant Network and Transformer Magnetics for High Frequency LLC Resonant Converter
- Park, Hwa-Pyeong (School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST)) ;
- Ryu, Younggon (School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST)) ;
- Han, Ki Jin (School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST)) ;
- Jung, Jee-Hoon (School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST))
- Received : 2015.05.13
- Accepted : 2015.10.26
- Published : 2016.03.01
This paper proposes the design considerations of resonant network and transformer magnetics for 500 kHz high switching frequency LLC resonant converter. The high power density can be effectively achieved by adopting high switching frequency which allows small size passive components in the converter. The design methodology of magnetizing inductance is derived for zero voltage switching (ZVS) condition, and the design methodology of the transformer and output capacitance is derived to achieve high power density at high operating frequency. Moreover, the structure of transformer is analyzed to obtain the proper inductance value for high switching operation. To verify the proposed design methodology, simulation and experimental results will be presented including temperature of passive and active components, and power conversion efficiency to evaluate dominant power loss. In addition, the validity of magnetics design will be evaluated with operating waveforms of the prototype converter.
High switching frequency;LLC resonant converter;Transformer design;Power density
- J. W. Kim and G. W. Moon, “A New LLC Series Resonant Converter with a Narrow Switching Frequency Variation and Reduced Conduction Losses,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 29, No. 8, pp. 4278-4287, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2285733
- Demirel. I and Erkmen. B, “A Very Low-Profile Dual Output LLC Resonant Converter for LCD/LED TV Application,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 3514-3524, July. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2278715
- R. L. Steigerwald, “A Comparison of Half-Bridge Resonant Converter Topologies,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 174-182, Apr. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.4347
- Yang. B, F. C. Lee, A. J. Zhang, H. Guisong, “LLC Resonant Converter for Front End DC/DC Conversion,” in Proc. APEC ’2002, Vol. 2, pp. 1108-1112, Mar. 2002.
- L. Bing, L. Wenduo, L. Yan, F. C. Lee, J. D. Van Wyk, “Optimal Design Methodology for LLC Resonant Converter,” in Proc. APEC ’2006, pp. 6, Mar. 2006.
- J. H. Jung and J. G. Kwon, “Theoretical Analysis and Optimal Design of LLC Resonant Converter,” in Proc. EPE ’2007, pp. 1- 10, Sept. 2007.
- J. H. Jung, “Bifilar Winding of a Center-Tapped Transformer Including Integrated Resonant Inductance for LLC Resonant Converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 615-620, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2213097
- J. H. Jung, J. M. Choi, and J. G. Kwon, “Design Methodology for Transformers Including Integrated and Center-tapped Structure for LLC Resonant Converters,” Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp.215-223, Mar. 2009.
- H. P. Park, H. J. Choi, and J. H. Jung, “500 kHz High Frequency LLC Resonant Converter for High Power Density,” in Proc. KIPE Annual Conference, pp. 189-190, July 1-3 2014, Sokcho, Korea
- K. H. Yi, and G. W. Moon, “A Novel Two Phase Interleaved LLC Series Resonant Converter using a Phase of the Resonant Capacitor,” Journal of Power Electronics, pp. 275-279, Jun. 2008.
- B. C. So, K. B. Seo, D. H. Lee, H. C. Jung, S. S. Hwang, H.W. Kim, K.Y. Cho, and B.K. Kim, “Design of LLC Resonant Converter having Enhanced Load Range for Communication Power,” The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Power Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 461-469, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2012.17.5.461
- H. S. Choi, “Design Consideration of Half-Bridge LLC Resonant Converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 13-20, Jan. 2007.
- H. De Groot, E. Janssen, R. Pagano, K. Schetters, “Design of a 1-MHz LLC Resonant Converter Based on a DSP-Driven SOI Half-Bridge Power MOS Module,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp.2307-2320, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.904203
- H. S. Kim, J. W. Baek, M. H. Ryu, J. H. Kim, and J. H. Jung, “High Efficiency Isolated AC-DC Converter Using Three-Phase Interleaved LLC Resonant Converter Employing Y-Connected Rectifier,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 4017-4028, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2290999
- F. Dianbo, F. C. Lee, L. Ya, X. Ming, “Novel Multi-Element Resonant Converter for Front-end DC/DC Converters,” in Proc. PESC ’2008, pp. 250-256, Jun. 2008.
- S. S. Hong, S. H. Cho, C. W. Roh, and S. K. Han, “Precise Analysis Solution for the Peak Gain of LLC Resonant Converters,” Journal of Power Electronics, pp. 680-685, Nov. 2010.
- F. Dianbo, L. Bing, F. C. Lee, “1MHz High Efficiency LLC Resonant Converter with Synchronous Rectifier,” in Proc. PESC ’2007, pp. 2404-2410, Jun. 2007
- Z. Weimin, X. Zhuxian, Z. Zhang, F. Wang, L. M. Tolbert, B. J. Blalock, "Evaluation of 600 V Cascade GaN HEMT in Device Characterization and all-GaN-based LLC Resonant Converter," in Proc. ECCE '2013, pp. 3571-3578, Sept. 2013.
- M. D. Seeman, S. R. Bahl, D. I. Anderson, G. A. Shah, “Advantages of GaN in a High-voltage Resonant LLC Converter,” in Proc. APEC ’2014, pp. 476-483, Mar. 2014.
- D. Huang, S. Ji, F. C. Lee, “LLC Resonant Converter with Matrix Transformer,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 29, No. 8, pp. 4339-4347, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2292676
- H. Schmidt-Walter, http://schmidt-walter.eit.h-da.de/, Mar. 19th 2001.
- C. W. T. Mclyman, Transformer and Inductor Design Handbook, 4th ed., CRC Press, 2011.
- Y. Ryu, S. Kim, G. Jeong, J. Park, D. Kim, J. Park, J. Kim and K. J. Han, “Common Mode Noise Reduction for an LLC Resonant Converter by Using Passive Noise Cancellation,” Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 89-96, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.2.89
- Spread Spectrum Technique to Reduce EMI Emission for an LLC Resonant Converter Using a Hybrid Modulation Method vol.33, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2017.2766284