- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Practical Methodology of the Integrated Design and Power Control Unit for SHEV with Multiple Power Sources
- Lee, Seongjun (Research Center, Defense Program, Samsung Techwin) ;
- Kim, Jonghoon (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Chosun University)
- Received : 2015.03.12
- Accepted : 2015.10.05
- Published : 2016.03.01
Series hybrid electric vehicles (SHEVs) having multiple power sources such as an engine- generator (EnGen), a battery, and an ultra-capacitor require a power control unit with high power density and reliable control operation. However, manufacturing using separate individual power converters has the disadvantage of low power density and requires a large number of power and signal cable wires. It is also difficult to implement the optimal power distribution and fault management algorithm because of the communication delay between the units. In order to address these concerns, this approach presents a design methodology and a power control algorithm of an integrated power converter for the SHEVs powered by multiple power sources. In this work, the design methodology of the integrated power control unit (IPCU) is firstly elaborately described, and then efficient and reliable power distribution algorithms are proposed. The design works are verified with product-level and vehicle-level performance experiments on a 10-ton SHEV.
Integrated power control unit;Series hybrid electric vehicle;Power distribution algorithm;Energy storage system
- Katrašnik T. Analytical method to evaluate fuel consumption of hybrid electric vehicles at balanced energy content of the electric storage devices. Appl Energy 2010; 79:51-64.
- Wang L, Cheng Y, Zou J. Battery available power prediction of hybrid electric vehicle based on improved Dynamic Matrix Control algorithms. J Power Sources 2014; 261:337-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2014.03.091
- Waag W, Fleischer C, Sauer DU. Critical review of the methods for monitoring of lithium-ion batteries in electric and hybrid vehicles. J Power Sources 2014; 258:321-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2014.02.064
- Miliani EH. Leakage current and commutation losses reduction in electric drives for Hybrid Electric Vehicle. J Power Sources 2014; 255:266-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2014.01.009
- Chen Z, Mi CC, Xiong R, Xu J, You C. Energy management of a power-split plug-in hybrid electric vehicle based on genetic algorithm and quadratic programming. J Power Sources 2014; 248:416-426. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.09.085
- Torres JL, Gonzalez R, Gimenez A, Lopez J. Energy management strategy for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. A comparative study. Appl Energy 2013; 114:816-824.
- Wu X, Cao B, Li X, Xu J, Ren X. Component sizing optimization of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Appl Energy 2011; 88:799-804. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.08.018
- Han J, Park Y, Kim D. Optimal adaptation of equivalent factor of equivalent consumption minimization strategy for fuel cell hybrid electric vehicles under active state inequality constraints. J Power Sources 2014; 267:491-502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2014.05.067
- Xu L, Li J, Ouyang M, Hua J, Yang G. Multi-mode control strategy for fuel cell electric vehicles regarding fuel economy and durability. Int J Hydrog Energy 2014; 39:2374-2389. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.11.133
- Xu L, Ouyang M, Li J, Yang F, Lu L, Hua J. Optimal sizing of plug-in fuel cell electric vehicles using models of vehicle performance and system cost. Appl Energy 2013; 103:477-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.10.010
- Chopra S, Bauer P. Driving Range Extension of EV With On-Road Contactless Power Transfer-A case Study. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2013; 60 (1): 329-338. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2182015
- Muñoz-Condes P, Gomez-Parra M, Sahcho C, Andrés MAGS, González-Fernández FJ, Carpio J, Guirado RU. On Condition Maintenance Based on the Impedance Measurement for Traction Batteries: Development and Industrial Implementation. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2013; 60 (7):2750-2759. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2196895
- KIM SI, Park S, Park T, Cho J, Kim W, Lim S. Investigation and Experimental Verification of a Novel Spoke-Type Ferrite-Magnet Motor for Electric-Vehicle Traction Drive Applications. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2014; 61 (10):5763-5770. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2304697
- Tong C, Zheng P, Wu Q, Bai J, Zhao Q. A Brushless Claw-Pole Double-Rotor Machine for Power-Split Hybrid Electric Vehicles. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2014; 61 (8):4295-4305.
- Hu Y, Song X, Cao W, Ji B. New SR Drive With Integrated Charging Capacity for Plug-ion Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs). IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2014; 61 (10):5722-5731. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2304699
- Nian X, Peng F, Zhang H. Regenerative Braking System of Electric Vehicle Driven by Brushless DC Motor. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2014; 61 (10):5798-5808. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2300059
- Lukic SM, Wirasingha SG, Rodriguez F, Cao J, Emadi A. Power Management of an Ultracapacitor/Battery Hybrid Energy Storage System in an HEV. IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC). 2006.
- Dixon J, Nakashima I, Arcos EF, Ortuzar M. Electric Vehicle Using a Combination of Ultracapacitors and ZEBRA Battery. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2010; 57 (3):943-949. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2027920
- Gao L, Dougal RA, Liu S. Active power sharing in hybrid battery/capacitor power sources. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC). 2003.
- Erickson RW, Maksimovic D. Fundamental of Power Electronics. 2nd Edition. Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2001.
- Infineon, IPOSIM, https://infineon.transim.com/iposim
- Semikron, Semisel Simulation, https://infineon.transim.com/iposim
- Maksimovic D, Zane R. Small Signal Discrete-time Modeling of Digitally Controlled DC-DC Converters. IEEE COMPEL Workshop. 2006.
- Kim JW, Choi HS, Cho BH. A Novel Droop Method for Converter Parallel Operation. IEEE Trans Power Electron. 2002; 17 (1):25-32.
- Middlebrook RD. Small-signal modeling of pulse-width modulated switch-mode power converters. Proceedings of the IEEE. 1988; 76 (4):343-354. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.4421
- Bae BH, Sul SK. A Novel Dynamic Overmodulation Strategy for Fast Torque Control of High-Saliency-Ratio AC Motor. IEEE Trans Ind Appl. 2005; 41 (4):1013-1019. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.851042