- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Sensorless Speed Control of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor by Unscented Kalman Filter using Various Scaling Parameters
- Moon, Cheol (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kwon, Young Ahn (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2014.11.17
- Accepted : 2015.09.25
- Published : 2016.03.01
This paper investigates the application, design and implementation of unscented Kalman filter observer using the various scaling parameters for the sensorless speed control of a permanent magnet synchronous motor. The principles of unscented transformation and unscented Kalman filter are examined and their applications are explained. Typically the mapping transformation process is divided into two types, namely the basic unscented transformation and the general unscented transformation by virtue of the scaling parameter value. And resultantly, the number of sampling points, weights, code configuration and computation time are different. But there is no little information on the scaling parameter value or how this value influences the system performance. To analyze the unscented transformation with the various scaling parameters in this study, the experimental results under a wide range of operation condition have been demonstrated.
Unscented Kalman filter;Unscented transformation;Scaling parameter;Sensorless speed control;Permanent-magnet synchronous motor
- B. K. Bose, “Technology trends in microprocessor control of electrical machines,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Elec., vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 160-177, Feb. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.3080
- K. Kamiyama, T. Ohmae, and T. Sukegawa, “Application trends in AC motor drives,” in proc. IECON'92, San Diego, CA, vol. 1, pp. 31-36, 1992.
- H. Lin, K-Y. Hwang, and B-I. Kwon, “An Improved Flux Observer for Sensorless Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Drives with Parameter Identification,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 516-523, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.3.516
- J. S. Kim, and S. K. Sul, “New approach for high-performance PMSM drives without rotational position sensors,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 904-911, Sep. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.623009
- R. E. Kalman, “A new approach to linear filtering and prediction problems,” Trans. ASME J. Basic Eng. ,vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 35-45, Mar. 1960.
- H-W. Sim, J-S. Lee, and K-B. Lee, “On-line parameter estimation of interior permanent magnet synchronous motor using an extended Kalman filter,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 600-608, March 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.2.600
- S. Bolognani, R. Oboe, and M. Zigliotto, “Sensorless full-digital PMSM drive with EKF estimation of speed and rotor position,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Elec., vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 184-191, Feb. 1999.
- S. Bolognani, M. Zigliotti, M. Zordan, “Extended-Range PMSM Sensorless Speed Drive Based on Stochastic Filtering,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 110-117, Jan. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.903995
- H-W. Kim and S-K. Sul, “A new motor speed estimator using Kalmna filter in low-speed range,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Elec., vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 498-504, Aug. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.510642
- S. J. Julier and J. K. Uhlmann, “A new extension of the Kalman filter to nonlinear systems,” in Proc. AeroSense: 11th Int. Symp. Aerospace/Defense Sensing, Simulations and Controls, pp. 182-193, 1997.
- S. Jafarzadeh, C. Lascu, and M. Fadali, “State estimation of induction motor drives using the unscented Kalman filter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 59, no. 11. pp. 4207-4216., Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2174533
- P. Borsje, T. F. Chan, Y. K. Wong, and S. L. Ho, “A comparative study of Kalman filtering for sensorless control of a permanent-magnet synchronous motor drive,” in IEEE Int. Conf. Electr. Machines Drives, San Antonio, TX, pp. 815-822, 2005.
- T.-F. Chna, P. Borsje, and W. Wang “Application of unscented Kalman filter to sensorless permanent-magnet synchronous motor drive,” in IEEE Int. Conf. Electr. Machines Drives, Miami, FL, pp.631-638, 2009.
- A. Cichowski, S. Bujacz, J. Nieznanski, and P. Szczepankowski, “Sensorless startup of super high speed permanent magnet motor,” IEEE Int. Symp. Ind. Electron., Bari, pp. 3101-3106 , 2010.
- D. Janiszewski, “Load torque estimation in sensorless PMSM drive using unscented Kalman filter,” IEEE Int. Symp. Ind. Electron., Gdansk, pp. 643-648, 2011.
- Online Parameter Identification for Model-Based Sensorless Control of Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine vol.32, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2598731
- Parallel Reduced-Order Square-Root Unscented Kalman Filter for State Estimation of Sensorless Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motor vol.65, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2016.65.6.1019
- Sliding Mode and Neural Network Control of Sensorless PMSM Controlled System for Power Consumption and Performance Improvement vol.10, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10111780
- A Parameter Identification Method Based on Forgetting Factor Dynamic Adjustment for PMSM Applied to the Rapid Control of Satellite Attitude vol.14, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42835-018-00049-x