- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Optimal Voltage and Reactive Power Scheduling for Saving Electric Charges using Dynamic Programming with a Heuristic Search Approach
- Jeong, Ki-Seok (Metropolitan Transit Convergence Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Chung, Jong-Duk (Metropolitan Transit Convergence Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2014.08.21
- Accepted : 2015.11.18
- Published : 2016.03.01
With the increasing deployment of distributed generators in the distribution system, a very large search space is required when dynamic programming (DP) is applied for the optimized dispatch schedules of voltage and reactive power controllers such as on-load tap changers, distributed generators, and shunt capacitors. This study proposes a new optimal voltage and reactive power scheduling method based on dynamic programming with a heuristic searching space reduction approach to reduce the computational burden. This algorithm is designed to determine optimum dispatch schedules based on power system day-ahead scheduling, with new control objectives that consider the reduction of active power losses and maintain the receiving power factor. In this work, to reduce the computational burden, an advanced voltage sensitivity index (AVSI) is adopted to reduce the number of load-flow calculations by estimating bus voltages. Moreover, the accumulated switching operation number up to the current stage is applied prior to the load-flow calculation module. The computational burden can be greatly reduced by using dynamic programming. Case studies were conducted using the IEEE 30-bus test systems and the simulation results indicate that the proposed method is more effective in terms of saving electric charges and improving the voltage profile than loss minimization.
- K. R. C. Mamandur, R. D. Chenoweth, “Optimal Control of Reactive Power Flow for Improvements in Voltage Profiles and for Real Power Loss Minimization,” IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., vol. PAS-100, no. 7, pp. 3185-3194, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1981.316646
- P. Ekel, S. Ansuj, R. Schinzinger, A. Prakhovnik, O. Razumovsky, “Automation of Reactive Power Compensation in Industrial Power Systems,” Proc. of the Third IEEE Conf. on Control App., Glasgow, UK, Aug. 1994.
- Z. Hu, X. Wang, H. Chen, and G. A. Taylor, “Volt / VAr control in distribution systems using a time-interval based approach,” IEE Proceedings-Generation, Transmission and Distribution, vol. 150, no. 5, pp. 548-554, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20030562
- Mohd Zamri Che Wanik, Istvan Erlich, and Azah Mohamed, “Intelligent Management of Distributed Generators Reactive Power for Loss Minimization and Voltage Control,” IEEE MELECON, Valletta, Malta, April 2010.
- J. O'Donnel, Voltage management of networks with distributed generation, Ph.D. dissertation, Univ. of Edinburgh, 2007.
- Duong Quoc Hung, Nadarajah Mithulananthan, “Multiple Distributed Generator Placement in Primary Distribution Networks for Loss Reduction,” IEEE Trans. on Ind. Elect., vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 1700-1708, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2112316
- Wen Zhang, Yutian Liu and Yuanqi Liu, “Optimal Var Planning in Area Power System,” Proc. PowerCon 2002, Chengdu, China, Oct. 2002.
- Hsiao YT, Chiang HD, Liu CC, Chen YL, “A computer package for optimal multi-objective VAR planning in large scale power system,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 668-676, 1994.
- M. E. Hamedani Golshan and S. A. Arefifar, “Distributed generation, reactive sources and network-configuration planning for power and energy-loss reduction,” IEE Proceeding- Generation, Transmission and Distribution, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 127-136, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20050170
- Lu, F.-C., and Hsu, Y.-Y., “Reactive power/voltage control in a distribution substation using dynamic programming,” IEE Proceeding-Generation, Transmission and Distribution, vol. 142, no. 6, pp. 639-645, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:19952210
- Ruey-Hsun Liang, Chen-Kuo Cheng, “Dispatch of main transformer ULTC and capacitors in a distribution system,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 625-630, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.956748
- Young-Jin Kim, Seon-Ju Ahn, Pyeong-Ik Hwang, Gi-Chan Pyo and Seung-Il Moon, “Coordinated Control of a DG and Voltage Control Devices Using a Dynamic Programming Algorithm,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 42-51, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2188819
- K. S. Jeong, H. C. Lee, Y. S. Baek and J. H. Park, “Coordinated Voltage and Reactive Power Control Strategy with Distributed Generator for Improving the Operational Efficiency,” J. Elect. Eng. Technol., vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1261-1268, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.6.1261
- Vovos, P.N., Kiprakis, A.E., Wallace, A.R., Harrison, G.P., “Centralized and Distributed Voltage Control: Impact on Distributed Generation Penetration,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 476-483, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2006.888982
- Siemens PTI, PSS/E-32 Program Application Guide, Siemens Power Technologies International Inc., 2009.
- Ki Seok Jeong, Hyun Chul Lee, Ji Ho Park and Young Sik Baek, “Optimal dispatch scheduling with synchronous machines for improving operational efficiency in industrial power system,” IEEE ICSIMA, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Nov. 2013.
- P. Kundur, Power System Stability and Control, McGraw-Hill Inc., 1994.
- Seshadri, P.S., Patton, A.D., “Bus Voltage Sensitivity: An Instrument for Pricing Voltage Control Service,” IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, Edmonton, Canada, July 1999.
- Ki-Seok Jeong, Hyun-Chul Lee, Ji-Ho Park and Young-Sik Baek, “Voltage and Reactive Power Coordination Control for Improving Voltage Profile Using VQ Sensitivity in power system with Renewable Energy Sources,” International Smart Grid Conference & Exhibition 2013, Jeju, Republic of Korea, July 2013.
- S. Civanlar, J. J. Grainger, “Volt/Var Control on Distribution Systems with Lateral Branches Using Shunt Capacitors and Voltage Regulators Part III: the Numerical Results,” IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., vol. PAS-104, no. 11, pp. 3291-3297, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1985.318844