- Volume 11 Issue 1
Accurate models of the characteristics of typical inverse-time overcurrent (OC) protective devices play an important role in the protective coordination schemes. This paper presents a novel approach to determine the OC protective device parameters. The approach is based on the Eigensystem Realization Algorithm which generates a state space model to fit the characteristics of OC protective devices. Instead of the conventional characteristic curves, the dynamic state space model gives a more exact fit of the OC protective device characteristics. This paper demonstrates the feasibility of decomposing the characteristic curve into smooth components and oscillation components. 19 characteristic curves from 13 typical and 6 non-typical OC protective devices are chosen for curve-fitting. The numbers of fitting components required are determined by the maximum absolute values of errors for the fitted equation. All fitted equations are replaced by a versatile equation for the characteristics of OC protective devices which represents the characteristic model of a novel flexible OC relay, which in turn may be applied to improve the OC coordination problems in the sub-transmission and distribution systems.
Curve fitting;Eigensystem realization algorithm;Novel flexible overcurrent relay;Multifunction equation;Overcurrent protective device
- Conde, E. Vazquez, Application of a proposed overcurrent relay in radial distribution networks, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 81, No. 2, February 2011, pp. 570-579. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2010.10.026
- M.S. Sachdev, J. Singh, R. J. Fleming, Mathematical Models Representing Time-Current Characteristics of Overcurrent Relays for Computer Applications, IEEE PES Paper No. A78-131-5 Winter meeting, January 1978.
- IEEE Committee Report, Computer representation of overcurrent relay characteristics, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 4, No. 3, July 1989, pp. 1659-1667. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.32656
- S. Chan, R. Maurer, Modeling Overcurrent Relay Characteristics, IEEE Computer Applications in Power, Vol. 5, No. 1, 1992, pp. 41-45.
- IEEE PSRC Committee, IEEE Standard Inverse-Time Characteristic Equations for Overcurrent Relays, IEEE Transactoions on Power Delivery, Vol.14, No.3, July 1999, pp.868-872. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.772326
- H.K. Karegar, H.A. Abyaneh, M. Al-Dabbagh, A flexible approach for overcurrent relay characteristics simulation, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol.66, No.3, September 2003, pp.233-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(03)00095-6
- S. Chaitusaney, A. Yokoyama, Prevention of Reliability Degradation from Reclose-Fuse Miscoordi-nation Due to Distributed Generation, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 23, No. 4, October 2008, pp. 2545-2554. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.915899
- T.H. Tan, G.H. Tzeng, Industry Power Distribution, 4th ed., Gau Lih Book Co., Taiwan, ISBN: 978-957-58-4133-1, pp.223-229, 2011.
- M. Geethanjali, S.M.R. Slochanal, A combined adaptive network and fuzzy inference system (ANFIS) approach for overcurrent relay system, NEURO-COMPUTING, Vol. 71, No. 4-6, January 2008, pp. 895-903.
- Arturo Conde Enríquez, Ernesto Vázquez-Martínez, Héctor J. Altuve-Ferrer, Time overcurrent adaptive relay, Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 25, No. 10, December 2003, pp. 841-847. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-0615(03)00059-0
- H. A. Darwish, M. A. Rahman, A. I. Taalab, H. Shaaban, Digital model of overcurrent relay characteristics, Industry Applications Conference, Vol. 2, 1995, pp. 1187-1192.
- J. Juang, R.S. Pappa, “An eigensystem realization algorithm for modal parameter identification and model reduction”, J. Guidance Control, Vol. 8, pp. 620-627, 1985. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20031
- J.N. Juang, Applied System Identification, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA, 1994.
- Z. Ma, S. Ahuja, C.W. Rowley, Reduced-order models for control of fluids using the eigensystem realization algorithm, Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, Vol.25, No.1-4, June 2011, pp.233-247. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00162-010-0184-8
- IEC Publication 255-3 (1989-05), Single Input Energizing Quality Measuring Relays with Dependent or Independent.
- Feng-Jih Wu, Chih-Ju Chou, Ying Lu, Jarm-Long Chung, “Modeling Electromechanical Overcurrent Relays Using Singular Value Decomposition,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 104952, 18 pages
- Instruction 41-131Q, Types CR, CRC, CRP and CRD Directional Overcurrent Relays, ABB Co. Coral Springs, FL, 1998.
- Catalog, High Voltage Fuse acc. DIN Standard, SIBA Co., pp.87
- J.C. Tan, P.G. McLaren, R.P. Jayasinghe, P.L. Wilson, Software Model for Inverse Time Overcurrent Relays Incorporating IEC and IEEE Standard Curves, Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical & Computer Engineering, Vol.1, 2002, pp. 37-41.
- BE1-1051 Manual, Basler Electric Co.
- User’s Manual and Technical Description, SPCJ4D29 Combined Overccurent and Earth-Fault Relay Module ABB Co. Coral Springs, FL, Jan. 30, 1997.