- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Body Segmentation using Gradient Background and Intra-Frame Collision Responses for Markerless Camera-Based Games
- Kim, Jun-Geon (Department of Electronics and Radio Engineering, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Lee, Daeho (Humanitas College, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2015.02.28
- Accepted : 2015.09.30
- Published : 2016.01.01
We propose a novel framework for markerless camera-based games. By using a visual camera, our method may yield robust human body segmentation with high performance comparable to the segmentation using depth cameras. The edges of human bodies are detected by subtracting gradient backgrounds, and human body regions are segmented by the operations based on mathematical morphology. Collisions between detected regions and virtual objects are determined by finding the colliding time using intra-frame positions of virtual objects. Experimental results show that the proposed method may produce robust segmentation of human bodies, thereby and the collision responses are more accurate than previous methods. Therefore, the proposed framework can be widely used in camera-based games requiring high performance.
Body segmentation;Gradient background;Mathematical morphology;Collision response;Camera-based games
- J. K. Aggarwal and M. S. Ryoo, “Human activity analysis: A review,” J. ACM Comp. Surv., vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 16:1-16:43, 2011.
- O. Barnich and M. Van Droogenbroeck, “ViBe: A universal background subtraction algorithm for video sequences,” IEEE Trans. Image Process., vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1709-1724, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2010.2101613
- D. Lee and S.G. Lee, “Vision-based finger action recognition by angle detection and contour analysis,” ETRI J., vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 415-422, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.11.0110.0313
- D. G. Zhang and Y. Zhu, “A new constructing approach for a weighted topology of wireless sensor networks based on local-world theory for the Internet of Things (IOT),” Comput. Math. Appl., vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 1044-1055, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.camwa.2012.03.023
- D. Zhang and Y. Liang, “A kind of novel method of service-aware computing for uncertain mobile applications,” Math. Comput. Model., vol. 57, no. 3-4, pp. 344-356, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcm.2012.06.012
- D. Zhang, K. Zheng, and T. Zhang, “A novel Multicast Routing Method with Minimum Transmission for WSN of Cloud Computing Service,” Soft Comput., vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1817-1827, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00500-014-1366-x
- D. Zhang and X. Zhang, “Design and implementation of embedded un-interruptible power supply system (EUPSS) for web based mobile application,” Enterprise Inf. Syst., vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 473-489, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/17517575.2011.626872
- D. Lee and Y. Park, “Vision-based remote control system by motion detection and open finger counting,” IEEE Trans. Consumer Electron., vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 2308-2313, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2009.5373803
- D. Lee, K. Park and Y. Park, "Collision detection and response method for markerless camera-based games using motion boundary estimation," IEEE Trans. Consumer Electron., vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 2178-2184, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2010.5681088
- D. Lee and Y.J. Lee, “Framework for vision-based sensory games using motion estimation and collision responses,” IEEE Trans. Consumer Electron., vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 1356-1362, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2010.5606270
- Y. J. Lee and D. H. Lee, “Research on detecting face and hands for motion-based game using Web camera,” in Proc. 2008 Int. Conf. Security Technology, pp. 7-12, 2008.
- D. H. Lee and Y. J. Lee, “Sensing and motion control of virtual objects for Web camera-based game,” in Proc. Second Int. Conf. Future Generation Communication and Networking, pp. 28-33, 2008.
- D. Lee and Y. Lee, “Estimation of collision response of virtual objects to arbitrary-shaped real objects,” IEICE Electron. Express, vol. 5, no. 17, pp. 678-682, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1587/elex.5.678
- D. Lee, S. G. Lee, W. M. Kim and Y. J. Lee, “Sphere-to-sphere collision estimation of virtual objects to arbitrarily-shaped real objects for augmented reality,” Electron. Lett., vol. 46, no. 13, pp. 915-916, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2010.0471
- Z. Tang and Z. Miao. “Fast background subtraction and shadow elimination using improved Gaussian mixture model,” In IEEE Workshop on Haptic Audio Visual Environments and the Applications, 2007, pp. 541-544.
- Z. Zivkovic and F. Heijden, “Efficient adaptive density estimation per image pixel for the task of background subtraction,” Patt. Recogn. Lett., vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 773-780, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2005.11.005
- J. Park and J. Yi, “Gesture recognition based interactive boxing game,” Int. J. Inf. Technol., vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 36-44, 2006.
- O. Oda, L. J. Lister. S. White S. Feiner, “Developing an augmented reality racing game,” in Proc. Int. Conf. Intelligent Technologies for Interactive Environment, 2008.
- L.T. Paolis, G. Aloisio and M. Pulimeno, “A simulation of billiards game based on marker detection,” in Proc. Int. Conf. Advances in Computer-Human Interactions, pp. 148-151, 2009.
- M. Rohs, “Marker-based embodied interaction for handheld augmented reality games,” J. Virt. Real. Broadc., vol. 4, no. 5, 2007.
- A. Kolb, E. Barth, and R. Koch, “ToF-Sensors: New Dimensions for Realism and Interactivity,” in Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision Pattern Recognition, 2008.
- T. Leyvand, C. Meekhof, Y.C. Wei, J. Sun and B. Guo, “Kinect identify: technology and experience,” Computer, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 94-96, 2011.
- J. Zhu, L. Wang, R. Yang, and J. Davis, “Fusion of time-of flight depth and stereo for high accuracy depth maps,” in Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision Pattern Recognition, pp. 1-8, 2008.
- R. Crabb, C. Tracey, A. Puranik and J. Davis, “Real-time foreground segmentation via range and color imaging,” in Proc. IEEE CS Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Worksh., pp. 1-5, 2008.
- E. Parvizi and Q.M.J. Wu, “Multiple object tracking based on adaptive depth segmentation,” in Proc. Canadian Conf. Computer and Robot Vision, pp. 273-277, 2008.
- T. Gonzalez-Scanchez and D. Puig, “Real-time body gesture recognition using depth camera,” Electr. Lett., vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 697-698, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2011.0967
- D. G. Zhang and X. J. Kang, “A novel image denoising method based on spherical coordinates system,” EURASIP J. Adv. Signal Process., vol. 1, p. 110, 2012.
- D. Zhang, G. Li, and X. Zheng, “An energy-balanced routing method based on forward-aware factor for wireless sensor network,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 766-773, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2013.2250910
- D. Zhang, X. Wang, X. Song, and D. Zhao, “A novel approach to mapped correlation of ID for RFID anti-collision,” IEEE Trans. Serv. Comput., vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 741-748, Oct.-Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSC.2014.2370642
- D. G. Zhang, “A new approach and system for attentive mobile learning based on seamless migration,” Appl. Intell., vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 75-89, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10489-010-0245-0