- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Performance Comparison of PM Synchronous and PM Vernier Machines Based on Equal Output Power per Unit Volume
- Jang, Dae-Kyu ;
- Chang, Jung-Hwan
- Received : 2015.05.08
- Accepted : 2015.09.30
- Published : 2016.01.01
This paper compares the performances of permanent-magnet synchronous (PMS) and permanent-magnet vernier (PMV) machines for low-speed and high-torque applications. For comparison with the PMS machines, we consider two types of the PMV machine. The first one has surface-mounted permanent magnets (PMs) on the rotor and the other has PMs inserted on both sides of the stator and rotor. The PMS and PMV machines are designed to meet the condition of equal output power per unit volume. We analyze the magnetic fields of the machines using a two-dimensional finite element analysis (FEA). We then compare their performances in terms of the generated torque characteristics, power factor, loss, and efficiency.
Direct-drive;Efficiency;PM synchronous machine;PM vernier machine;Output power
- A. Toba and T. A. Lipo, “Generic Torque-maximizing Design Methodology of Surface Permanent-magnet Vernier machine,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1539-1546, Nov. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.887204
- S. Ho, S. Niu, and W. Fu, “Design and Comparison of Vernier Permanent Magnet Machines,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 3280-3283, Oct. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2011.2157309
- A. Ishizaki, T. Tanaka, K. Takasaki, and S. Nishikata, "Theory and Optimum Design of PM Vernier Motor," in Proc. of Int. Conf. Electr. Mach. Drives, Durham, USA, no. 412, pp. 208-212, Sep. 1995.
- S. Niu, S. L. Ho, W. N. Fu, and L. L. Wang, “Quantitative Comparison of Novel Vernier Permanent Magnet Machines,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 2032-2035, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2010.2042429
- S. U. Chung, Y. D. Chun, B. C. Woo, D. K. Hong, and J. Y. Lee, “Design Considerations and Validation of Permanent Magnet Vernier Machine with Consequent Pole Rotor for Low Speed Servo Applications,” JEET, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1146-1151, Sep. 2013.
- G. Bertotti, “General Properties of Power Losses in Soft Ferromagnetic Materials,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 621-630, Jan. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.43994
- Residual Magnetic Flux Density Distribution Calculation Considering Effect of Aligning Field for Anisotropic Bonded NdFeB Magnets vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.5.1316