- Volume 11 Issue 1
This paper presents a simple high efficiency full-bridge DC-DC converter using a series resonant capacitor. The proposed converter achieves the zero voltage switching of the primary switches under a wide range of load conditions and reduces the high circulating current in the freewheeling mode using the leakage resonant inductance and the series resonant capacitor. Thus, the proposed converter overcomes the drawbacks of the conventional full-bridge DC-DC converter and improves its overall system efficiency. Its structure is simplified by using the leakage inductance of the transformer as the resonant inductance and omitting the DC output filter inductance. Also it can operate over a wide range of input voltages. In this paper, the operational principle, analysis and design example are described in detail. Finally, the experimental results from a 650W (24V/27A) prototype are demonstrated to confirm the operation, validity and features of the proposed converter.
Soft switching;Full-bridge converter;Circulating current;Leakage resonant inductance;Series resonant capacitor
- Kwang-Hwa Liu and Fred C. Y. Lee, “Zero-Voltage Switching Technique in DC/DC Converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 293-304, July 1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.56520
- Oliver D. Patterson and Deepakraj M. Divan, “Pseudo-Resonant Full Bridge DC/DC Converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 671-678, Oct. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.97767
- Loveday H. Mweene, Chris A. Wright and Martin F. Schlecht, “A 1 kW, 500 kHz Front-End Converter for a Distributed Power Supply System,” in Proceedings of IEEE APEC’89 Conference, Baltimore, U.S.A., pp. 423-432, March 1989.
- Guichao Hua, Fred C. Lee and Milan L. Jovanović, “An Improved Full-Bridge Zero-Voltage-Switched PWM Converter Using a Saturable Inductor,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 530-534, Oct. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.261024
- Wei Chen, Fred C. Lee, Milan M. Jovanović and Juan A. Sabate, “A Comparative Study of a Class of Full Bridge Zero-Voltage-Switched PWM Converters,” in Proceedings of IEEE APEC’95 Conference, Dallas, U. S. A., vol. 2, pp. 893-899, March 1995.
- Praveen K. Jain, Wen Kang, Harry Soin and Youhao Xi, “Analysis and Design Considerations of a Load and Line Independent Zero Voltage Switching Full Bridge DC/DC Converter Topology,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 649-657, Sep. 2002.
- Yungtaek Jang and Milan M. Jovanović, “A New PWM ZVS Full-Bridge Converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 987-994, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.897008
- Mangesh Borage, Sunil Tiwari, Shubhendu Bhardwaj and Swarna Kotaiah, “A Full-Bridge DC-DC Converter With Zero-Voltage-Switching Over the Entire Conversion Range,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1743-1750, July 2008.
- Majid Pahlevaninezhad, Josef Drobnik, Praveen K. Jain and Alireza Bakhshai, “A Load Adaptive Control Approach for a Zero-Voltage-Switching DC/DC Converter used for Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 923-933, Feb. 2012.
- Il-Oun Lee and Gun-Woo Moon, “Soft-Switching DC/DC Converter With a Full Range and Reduced Output Filter for High-Voltage Applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 112-122, Jan. 2008.
- Yong-Saeng Shin, Chang-Seop Kim and Sang-Kyoo Han, “A Pulse-Frequency-Modulated Full-Bridge DC/DC Converter With Series Boost Capacitor,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 5154-5162, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2123855
- Ju-Won Baek, Jung-Goo Cho, Dong-Wook Yoo, Geun-Hie and Heung-Gun Kim, “An Improved Zero Voltage and Zero Current Switching Full Bridge PWM Converter with Secondary Active Clamp,” in Proceedings of IEEE PESC’98 Conference, Fukuoka, Japan, vol. 2, pp. 948-954, May 1998.
- Seong-Jeub Jeon and Gyu-Hyeong Cho, “Zero-Voltage and Zero-Current Sswitching Full Bridge DC-DC Converter for Arc Welding Machines,” IET Electronics Letters, vol. 35, no. 13, pp. 1043-1044, June 1999. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19990719
- Jung-Goo Cho, Ju-Won Baek, Chang-Yong Jeong, Dong-Wook Yoo and Kee-Yeon Joe, “Novel Zero-Voltage and Zero-Current-Switching Full Bridge PWM Converter Using Transformer Auxiliary Winding,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 250-257, Mar. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.838097
- Jung-Goo Cho, Juan A. Sabaté, Giuchao hua and Fred C. Lee, “Zero-Voltage and Zero-Current-Switching Full Bridge PWM Converter for High-Power Applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 622-628, July 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.506128
- Xinbo Ruan and Yangguang Yan, “An Improved Phase-Shifted Zero-Voltage and Zero-Current Switching PWM Converter,” in Proceedings of IEEE APEC’98 Conference, Anaheim, U.S.A., vol. 2, pp. 948-954, Feb. 1998.
- Dong Li and Xinbo Ruan, “Comparison of Three Front-end DC-DC Converters for 1200W Server Power Supply,” in Proceedings of IEEE PESC2005 Conference, Recife, Brazil, pp. 393-398, June 2005.
- James F. Lazar and Robert Martinelli, “Steady-State Analysis of the LLC Resonant Converter,” in Proceedings of IEEE APEC2001 Conference, Anaheim, U. S. A., vol. 2, pp. 728-735, Mar. 2001.
- Bo Yang, Fred C. Lee, Alpha J. Zhang and Guisong Huang, “LLC Resonant Converter for Front End DC/DC Conversion,” in Proceedings of IEEE APEC2002 Conference, Dallas, U.S.A., vol. 2, pp. 1108-1112, Mar. 2001.
- Haibing Hu, Frank Chen, Z. John Shen and Issa Batarseh, “A Modified High-Efficiency LLC Converter With Two Transformers for Wide Input-Voltage Range Applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1946-1959, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2201959
- Jong-Woo Kim and Gun-Woo Moon, “A New LLC Series Resonant Converter with a Narrow Switching Frequency Variation and Reduced Conduction Losses,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 4278-4287, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2285733
- Han-Dong Gui, Zhiliang Zhang, Xiao-Fei He and Yan-Fei Liu, “A High Voltage-Gain Micro-Converter with High Efficiency in Wide Input Range for PV Applications,” in Proceedings of IEEE APEC2014 Conference, Fort Worth, U. S. A., vol. 1, pp. 637-642, Mar. 2014.