- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Knowledge Sharing in Co-worker Relationships: Interaction Effect of Quality of Co-worker Exchange and Learning Goal Orientation
동료 간 지식공유에 관한 연구: 동료관계의 질과 목표성향의 상호작용효과
- 김보영 (국민대학교 경영대학)
- Received : 2016.11.28
- Accepted : 2016.12.26
- Published : 2016.12.31
Knowledge sharing has many benefits; however, employees are generally reluctant to share their knowledge with co-workers. This reluctance can be attributed to the facts that sharing knowledge involves the threat of losing personal competitiveness and the codification of knowledge for sharing requires additional effort. This study explains why employees engage in knowledge sharing despite the threat and cost of sharing knowledge. Specifically, it examines the effects of the quality of co-worker exchange (CWX) on knowledge sharing and the moderating effect of learning goal orientation on the relationship between CWX and knowledge sharing. Data from 186 individuals indicate that there is a positive relationship between CWX and knowledge sharing, and that this relationship is strengthened when learning goal orientation is low rather than when it is high. The theoretical and practical implications of the findings are also discussed.
Supported by : 국민대학교
- 김보영, 박오수, 윤석화 2010. "도움행동의 해석에 관한 연구: 행위자 자기표현 조절능력과 평가자 이미지 향상동기의 조절효과," 경영학연구 (39:2), pp. 739-767.
- 김보영, 이수진 2012. "동료의 과업관련 도움요청과 이들의 특징이 지식공유에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 지식경영연구 (13:4), pp. 101-115.
- Aiken, L. S., S. G. West, and Reno, R. R. 1991. Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions: Sage.
- Ames, C., and Archer, J. 1988. "Achievement goals in the classroom: Students' learning strategies and motivation processes," Journal of Educational Psychology, (80), pp. 260-267. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.520
- Ardichvili, A., V. Page, and Wentling, T. 2003. "Motivation and barriers to participation in virtual knowledge-sharing communities of practice," Journal of Knowledge Management, (7), pp. 64-77. https://doi.org/10.1108/13673270310463626
- Baard, P. P., E. L. Deci, and Ryan, R. M. 2004. "Intrinsic need satisfaction: A motivational basis of performance and wellbeing two work settings," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, (34:10), pp. 2045-2068. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2004.tb02690.x
- Blau, P. M. 1964. Exchange and power in social life : Transaction Publishers.
- Brett, J. F., and VandeWalle, D. 1999. "Goal orientation and goal content as predictors of performance in a training program," Journal of Applied Psychology, (84:6), pp. 863-873. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.84.6.863
- Cabrera, E. F., and Cabrera, A. 2005. "Fostering knowledge sharing through people management practices," International Journal of Human Resource Management, (16:5), pp. 720-735. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190500083020
- Coleman, J. S. 1988. "Social capital in the creation of human capital," American Journal of Sociology, (94), pp. S95-S120. https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- Duffy, M. K., D. C. Ganster, and Pagon, M. 2002. "Social undermining in the work place," Academy of Management Journal, (45:2), pp. 331-351. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069350
- Dweck, C. S. 1986. "Motivational processes affecting learning," American Psychologist, (41), pp. 1040-1048. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.41.10.1040
- Dweck, C. S., and Leggett, E. L. 1988. "A social-cognitive approach to motivation and personality," Psychological Review, (95), pp. 256-273. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.95.2.256
- Ferguson, M., D. Carlson, S. Zivnuska, and Whitten, D. 2012. "Support at work and home: The path to satisfaction through balance," Journal of Vocational Behavior, (80:2), pp. 299-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2012.01.001
- Gong, Y., J.- C. Huang, and Farh, J.-L. 2009. "Employee learning orientation, transformational leadership, and employee creativity: The mediating role of employee creative self-efficacy," Academy of Management Journal, (52:4), pp. 765-778. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.43670890
- Gouldner, A. W. 1960. "The nor m of reciprocity: A preliminar y statement," American Sociological Review, (25:2), pp. 161-178. https://doi.org/10.2307/2092623
- Graen, G. B., and Uh l-Bien, M. 1995. "Relationship-based approach to leadership: Development of leader-member exchange(lmx) theory of leadership over 25 years: Applying a multi-level multi-domain perspective," Leadership Quarterly, (6), pp 219-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(95)90036-5
- Hirst, G., D. Van Knippenberg, and Zhou, J. 2009. "A cross-level perspective on employee creativity: Goal orientation, team learning behavior, and individual creativity," Academy of Management Journal, (52:2), pp. 280-293. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.37308035
- Huber, G. P. 1991. "Organizational learning: The contributing processes and the literatures," Organization Science, (2:1), pp. 88-115. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.88
- Janssen, O., and Van Yperen, N. W. 2004. "Employees' goal orientations, the quality of leader-member exchange, and the outcomes of job performance and job satisfaction," Academy of Management Journal, (47:3), pp. 368-384. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159587
- Liebowitz, J. 2003. "Aknowledge management strategy for the jason organization: A case study," Journal of Computer Information Systems, (44:2), pp. 1-5.
- Lin, L., L. Kwok, and Koch, P. T. 2006. "Managerial knowledge sharing: The role of individual, interpersonal, and organizational factors," Management & Organization Review, (2:1), pp. 15-41. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8784.2006.00029.x
- Lu, L., X. Lin, and Leung, K. 2012. "Goal orientation and innovative performance: The mediating roles of knowledge sharing and perceived autonomy goal orientation and innovative performance: The mediating roles of knowledge sharing and perceived autonomy," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, (42), pp. E180-E197. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2012.01018.x
- Mischel, W. 1973. "Toward a cognitive social learning reconceptualization of personality," Psychological Review, (80), pp. 252-283. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0035002
- Obstfeld, D. 2005. "Social networks, the tertius iungens orientation, and involvement in innovation," Administrative Science Quarterly, (50:1), pp. 100-130. https://doi.org/10.2189/asqu.2005.50.1.100
- Polanyi, M. 1966. The tacit dimension, London, England: Routledge Kegan Paul.
- Reinholt, M. I. A., T. Pedersen, and Foss, N. J. 2011. "Why a central network position isn't enough: The role of motivation and ability for knowledge sharing in employee networks," Academy of Management Journal, (54:6), pp. 1277-1297. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.0007
- Snyder, M., and Lckes, W. 1985. Personality and social behavior. In G. Lindzey, & E. Aronson (Eds.), The handbook of social psychology, Vol. 2, 883-947. New York, Randon House..
- Srivastava, A., K. M. Bartol, and Locke, E. A. 2006. "Empowering leadership in management teams: Effects on knowledge sharing, efficacy, and performance," Academy of Management Journal, (49:6), pp. 1239-1251. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2006.23478718
- Tett, R. P., and Burnett, D. D. 2003. "A personality trait-based interactionist model of job performance" Journal of Applied Psychology, (88), pp. 500-517. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.3.500
- Tett, R. P., and Guterman, H. A. 2000. "Situation trait relevance, trait expression, and cross-situational consistency: Testing a principle of trait activation," Journal of Research in Personality, (34), pp. 397-423.. https://doi.org/10.1006/jrpe.2000.2292
- Vandewalle, D. 1997. "Development and validation of a work domain goal orientation," Educational & Psychological Measurement, (57:6), pp. 995-1015. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164497057006009
- VandeWalle, D., S. P. Brown, W. L. Cron, and Slocum, J. J. W. 1999. "The influence of goal orientation and self-regulation tactics on sales performance: A longtitudinal field test," Journal of Applied Psychology, (84:2), pp. 249-259. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.84.2.249
- Vansteenkiste, M., B. Neyrinck, C.P. Niemiec, B. Soenens, H. DeWitte, and Van Den Broeck, A. 2007. "On the relations among work value orientations, psychological need satisfaction and job outcomes: A self-determination theory approach," Journal of Occupational & Organizational Psychology, (80:2), pp. 251-277. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317906X111024
- Yeo, G., S. Loft, T. Xiao, and Kiewitz, C. 2009. "Goal orientations and performance: Differential relationships across levels of analysis and as a function of task demands," Journal of Applied Psychology, (94:3), pp. 710-726. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0015044